Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It is a crime, Don Seigelman was prosecuted for less. But I am sure the GOP will cry any prosecution is purely political. The GOP tough on crime by anybody but themselves.

And this isn't the only obvious criminal activity DeSantis has engaged in using public funds. But hey, IOKIYRR.
    In Siegelman's case there was a witness and clear quid pro quo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/30/us/30verdict.html

Siegelman was open about the quid pro quo.

After the verdict, Mr. Siegelman said: "If I am really guilty of this, then every other person in public office had better look out. Because everybody is raising money and putting people on boards and in positions."
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    How is this not a crime? If there's evidence of this why isn't he prosecuted?
    You'd need to be able to explain what law or series of laws he broke. Whatever rules apply to DeSantis would apply to other executives. It would have to be illegal to give donors projects or to use leftover Covid money for this kind of stuff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

There are so many evangelical pastors preaching extremism in the US. Why doesn't the media talk about these people?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So is your view that Republican officials would have an easier time changing their position on guns because the conservative media is so shameless they'll just go along with whatever helps the party win elections?
    I’m saying there was no overwhelming cry from the public to loosen restrictions on open-carry laws or gun ownership. The outside influences of the NRA and gun manufacturers are driving the pushback against gun legislation through donations to GOP representatives and those representatives are pushing legislation to weaken restrictions on open-carry and gun ownership. Conservative media is dragging the base’s opinions into line with the legislation through fear mongering about runaway crime and distopian government overreach. That’s one example of “the tail wagging the dog”.

If that pushback disappeared tomorrow and the GOP by some miracle grew a collective conscience or moral compass, basic, common-sense laws could be implemented and conservative media would then pivot and drag the base’s opinions to line up with the GOP’s goals, because that’s the reason for its existence.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 06-29-2023 at 11:24 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    There are so many evangelical pastors preaching extremism in the US. Why doesn't the media talk about these people?
    You have to handle that reporting carefully, if you're not careful when giving a report on an extremist and what they're saying... you spread their message.

It's almost better to report on a pervasive problem and read quotes without linking them to the pastor or church, specifically.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

The Scot Peterson case is going to have profound implications to establish exactly what responsibility police and security officers have when kids are threatened by a gunman.

Effectively he waited for backup, in spite of strong evidence kids were in immediate danger.

Personally I don’t think the guy should be facing criminal charges, not sure if there is any existing law to justify saying he HAS to risk his own life to save kids.

We would all love to think we’d put the kids first…his behaviour fell below “hero”…but don’t see how it’s criminal.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    The Scot Peterson case is going to have profound implications to establish exactly what responsibility police and security officers have when kids are threatened by a gunman.

Effectively he waited for backup, in spite of strong evidence kids were in immediate danger.

Personally I don’t think the guy should be facing criminal charges, not sure if there is any existing law to justify saying he HAS to risk his own life to save kids.

We would all love to think we’d put the kids first…his behaviour fell below “hero”…but don’t see how it’s criminal.
    I doubt he'll be found guilty, the supreme court has already ruled that Police officers and fire fighters don't have an obligation to protect anyone so I can't see a lower court saying a rent a cop has a higher duty.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I doubt he'll be found guilty, the supreme court has already ruled that Police officers and fire fighters don't have an obligation to protect anyone so I can't see a lower court saying a rent a cop has a higher duty.
    I agree that the most likely outcome.

I see various facets of the case started a few weeks ago…and now suspect there was board discussion on case earlier.

I see the Donald assured everyone he would rush in to put his body on the line to protect the kids (“whether I had a gun or not”). I’m pretty sure how the WestPhillyPunisher would react to that…would probably need to edit his thoughts to avoid swearing and profanity.

Invincible Member

I went to the store early in the morning and the air didn't seem too bad. After I came back in and started working I started to smell burning rubber and figured someone in the building was cooking or something. Then an announcer on the radio started talking about all the smoke in the air today...gah!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Supreme Court Strikes Down College Affirmative Action Programs

Another ruling by a more liberal court is struck down by the Supreme Court. This is where the Presidential elections can be so important. The conservative picks during Trump's adminstration makes a pick difference.
    Let's not forget that cases involving Student Loans and LGBTQ rights are going to have their verdicts declared tomorrow.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...ights-00104195

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Supreme Court Strikes Down College Affirmative Action Programs

Another ruling by a more liberal court is struck down by the Supreme Court. This is where the Presidential elections can be so important. The conservative picks during Trump's adminstration makes a pick difference.
    You know, maybe it's time to rethink Affirmative action. I think it has benefited many people, but perhaps there are better ways, in this day and age, to do the same thing.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    You know, maybe it's time to rethink Affirmative action. I think it has benefited many people, but perhaps there are better ways, in this day and age, to do the same thing.
    What specifically?

Its sad that Thomas who benefited from Affirmataction was so willing to strike it down,
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Parkland School resource office who stayed outside during mass shooting found not guilty

If I were on the jury, I think I would have voted then same way. I would take in consideration the defendent's age and the fact that the shooter had an AR-15 semi-automatic. The resource officer mostly likely had a six shot pistol
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-29-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Ultimate Member

https://time.com/6288939/supreme-cou...api-community/

The reality is that the majority of Asian Americans support affirmative action, according to a 2023 study by the Pew Research Center and the 2022 Asian American Voter Survey. This is why in the Harvard case, our organization (Asian Americans Advancing Justice Southern California), and other AAPI and civil rights organizations, filed an amicus brief on behalf of Asian American Harvard students who, like most AAPI and other Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) students, feel the benefit from racially diverse campuses that affirmative action provide. Moreover, claiming that AAPI students’ coveted seats at universities are being taken away by other Black and Brown students limits the progress AAPI and other BIPOC communities have made to address systemic racism within education. This mentality creates a harmful wedge by pitting AAPIs against other communities of color
    In fact, if admissions policies were based purely on test-scores, Asian American students would lose ground. According to a 2021 report by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, 1 in 5 Asian Americans currently enrolled in elite colleges would not be admitted. The report shows that Asian Americans are more likely to apply to highly selective colleges compared to other racial groups. With affirmative action, they get in. However, using just test scores, 21% would no longer qualify.
    In 1996, California passed through a state ballot initiative, Proposition 209, which ended affirmative action in the state. The number of underrepresented minority enrollments plummeted in all levels of higher education. Over the past 27 years, California has been able to reverse some of the effects by finding creative strategies to increase student diversity. One way schools can compensate for lower admissions is by focusing on retention through mentorship programs and affinity groups for their students of color to reduce college dropout rates.
    Throughout our nation’s history, communities of color have banded together in the fight for racial justice. In 1869, Frederick Douglass spoke out on behalf of Chinese immigrants about their efforts to become U.S. citizens and their rights to vote. In 1965, Filipino farm workers reached out to Latinos to embolden the Delano Grape Strike which led to a stronger labor movement. During World War II, the NAACP openly opposed the incarceration of Japanese Americans. Without a doubt, the Black civil rights movement paved the way to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 which changed the future of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the U.S.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Its sad that Thomas who benefited from Affirmataction was so willing to strike it down,
    He's been anti-Affirmative Action for years. Former friends have claimed that it's due to misplaced anger when he didn't get high profile job offers when he graduated law school.