Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Whats funny is that any of these nuts think Trump will pick them for VP. Greene also made comments that she was going to be on the ticket with Trump
    I've got no idea on this one.

The whole arguments for not picking a reporter who lost a bid for Governor, or a second-term Congresswoman who is just a trainwreck (the Atlantic had a great profile on her, which gets into the potential psychology) might not be understood by someone with Trump's lack of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    A good chunk of Trump supporters among voters (don't have the numbers) actually refuse to believe or are too poorly informed to know that Trump has committed any crimes. Others know it and don't care. Still others are in the 'the Dems are going after Trump for political reasons'.
    From a legal standpoint, there can be arguments that what Trump did is wrong but not illegal. There's a reason the charges took so long, and I don't think it's a conspiracy to delay a trial until the general election. If legal experts took years to make sense of everything, we can't expect civilians to understand it immediately, especially given all that they're going to hear in bad faith, as well as legitimate areas of uncertainty.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I don't think she's smart (or maybe she's not intelligent). If she were really smart, she would have softened her campaign, stopped saying crazy while she was running, enough to win what was theoretically a very winnable race.
    I think it's exactly the crazy stuff that's got her this far. And she knows it. Same for Ron DeSantis...it's not whatever positive things he may have done for his state that's got him national attention, it's his "woke" stuff. He might not be the frontrunner now, but next go around he ( and Kari ) will still have a shot.

Invincible Member

Whats funny is that any of these nuts think Trump will pick them for VP. Greene also made comments that she was going to be on the ticket with Trump
    I agree, it's funny how thirsty a few of these folks are. But Trump isn't going to pick anyone he might have to share the spotlight with.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My uneducated guess is that while Trump allegedly wants a woman to be his VP (should he win the nomination), he’d prefer someone spineless and wholly subservient like Mike Pence was, someone who would be seen and not heard, or steal the spotlight from him. Say what you will about Kari Lake or MTG, but, shrinking violets they ain’t, they’d undercut Trump the first chance they got to serve their own future ambitions.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is likely one of the biggest policy differences I've got with the regulars on this thread, but I think the United States spends way too much money. It seems that money goes from frugal taxpayers and goes to projects that take too long and go overbudget, or mainly employ political allies in no-show positions.
    The fact is, those projects are a small part of the budget with the largest part going to the Military. The deficit is largely due to your Party repeatedly cutting taxes for the Rich which does almost nothing for the Economy and is mostly responsible for the deficit.

Tax cuts did the damage

And I will add that the irresponsible Tax Cuts under Trump further gave the super wealthy a break while RAISING taxes on the middle class.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 08-02-2023 at 09:23 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That deterioration is 100% due to the GOP threats over the debt ceiling every time, and ONLY, when a Democrat is in office.
    Regardless of that, the US debt, at some point, will become unsustainable - debt is a tax on future generations

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/20...compared-world

I mean that is a normal response for Baskin Robbins telling you they are out of sprikles.
    Of course

This is likely one of the biggest policy differences I've got with the regulars on this thread, but I think the United States spends way too much money. It seems that money goes from frugal taxpayers and goes to projects that take too long and go overbudget, or mainly employ political allies in no-show positions.
    There is no such thing as a free lunch

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think it's exactly the crazy stuff that's got her this far. And she knows it. Same for Ron DeSantis...it's not whatever positive things he may have done for his state that's got him national attention, it's his "woke" stuff. He might not be the frontrunner now, but next go around he ( and Kari ) will still have a shot.
    I think - hear me out - that Trump will select Kari as his VP (getting a woman would be a good choice and, while she is crazy, she's not Marjorie Taylor Greene or Lauren Boebbert crazy), they will lose the election and her political career will be over. In fact, I don't understand how her political career isn't finished yet.

From a legal standpoint, there can be arguments that what Trump did is wrong but not illegal. There's a reason the charges took so long, and I don't think it's a conspiracy to delay a trial until the general election. If legal experts took years to make sense of everything, we can't expect civilians to understand it immediately, especially given all that they're going to hear in bad faith, as well as legitimate areas of uncertainty.
    I don't imagine that you have a law degree, do you? I work for a law firm and I can vouch for the fact that even the most obviously winnable cases may take upwards to a year to get filed in court and several years to get through the legal minutia like motions, discovery, and so forth.

Still, the DOJ dragged it's' feet until the Jan 6th Committee made their case first. There was a reason for that.

FBI resisted opening probe into Trump’s role in Jan. 6 for more than a year

A wariness about appearing partisan, institutional caution, and clashes over how much evidence was sufficient to investigate the actions of Trump and those around him all contributed to the slow pace. Garland and the deputy attorney general, Lisa Monaco, charted a cautious course aimed at restoring public trust in the department while some prosecutors below them chafed, feeling top officials were shying away from looking at evidence of potential crimes by Trump and those close to him, The Post found.
    Bottom line, Trump scared the bejeezus out of them. In fear of appearing partisan, they now risk appearing partisan even more.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I did. And about the Bannon tape. She said it was just meant a protest outside of the capital They never meant that the followers should storm the sapital. Trump did every thing he could to put a stop to it. Pelosi was the one that would not let him put the gaurd at the capital in the days before the rally.
    Every thing he could except heed repeated calls and texts from family, members of his administration, Republicans in Congress, and FOX News correspondents to denounce the violence and try to convince protesters to disperse.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

I hope Cornel gets a shot in the debates.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I hope Cornel gets a shot in the debates.
    Cornel who?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Regardless of that, the US debt, at some point, will become unsustainable - debt is a tax on future generations
    Democrats do pretty well controlling the debt, It's the Republicans, especially since Reagan and "supply side" tax cuts for the wealthy and super rich, that cause the problem.

At some part we have to make the rich and corporations once again pay their share of taxes. The rich are taking a larger and larger piece of the pie while contributing less and less.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

And I will add that the irresponsible Tax Cuts under Trump further gave the super wealthy a break while RAISING taxes on the middle class.
    Are you aware that that's a progressive think tank?

I don't think that there is much of a disagreement about the U.S. spending too much money. Specifically what we are spending too much money on is where most of the disagreement comes from, IMO.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Democrats do pretty well controlling the debt, It's the Republicans, especially since Reagan and "supply side" tax cuts for the wealthy and super rich, that cause the problem.

At some part we have to make the rich and corporations once again pay their share of taxes. The rich are taking a larger and larger piece of the pie while contributing less and less.
    What's the source of that chart?

Check out this one by The Balance:
    https://www.thebalancemoney.com/us-d...ercent-3306296

Spoiler at the end of the page:

"Which President Has Put the United States the Most in Debt?

President Joe Biden is on track to add the most to the budget deficit, largely due to the costs associated with battling the coronavirus pandemic."

Biden's first mandate isn't over yet and he's already on track to add the most to the budget deficit, all-time.

The top 5 presidents by debt % with finished term(s) (so everyone except Biden):

1 - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945)
    2 - Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921)
    3 - Ronald Reagan (1981-1989)
    4 - George W. Bush (2001-2009)
    5 - Barack Obama (2009-2017)

Biden is on track to "beat" all of these.

This is % wise (Yo4Y or Y08Y), not in nominal terms (nominal is a bit meaningless for obvious reasons but the article shows all figures on an annual basis).
    Last edited by hyped78; 08-02-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    I don't think that there is much of a disagreement about the U.S. spending too much money. Specifically what we are spending too much money on is where most of the disagreement comes from, IMO.
    That's a very good point