Page 46 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056961465461046 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yeah, but in the recent past the hardcore GOP base was closer to 25%. That it is now 40% is unnerving and tells me the country has gone in the wrong direction.
    There has been a general ideological shift in the western world among social classes. The white working class that use to support left wing parties now votes right, and the white middle class that use to vote right now votes center left.
    The voting coalitions on the right now consist of the white working class, and a large percentage of the upper classes, and the voting coalitions on the left largely consist of professional middle class whites and minorities, generally speaking.

In started in Europe with the decline of center left parties, and in countries like France, and the North and midlands of the UK, which use to be the working class manufacturing hubs in the UK, but now have areas of large unemployment, the British rust belt.
    It spread to the United States and was tapped by Trump by capturing the American rust belt of the mid west, and resentment towards changing racial demographics in Florida.

I use to have the statistics on the % if white working class males that voted for Trump and it was insane, but I can't locate them. Here are some links below on Western Europe.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...estern-europe/

https://www.hopenothate.org.uk/resea...ectorate-left/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9249936.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-van-man.html

Hence Trump's enlarged core.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'd like to think that, if both Trump and Pence were to get sever cases and had to be put on respirators, even Congress and the Senate would recognize the fact that they are unable to perform their duties and pass the Presidency onto the Speaker. Then again, when has Moscow Mitch and the Trumpublicans ever cared about the law?
    The problem is that, in the current climate, Mitch would know that getting votes at the election would still depend on following Trump's insanity.
    Power with Girl is better.

Tbf the Norths problem is their incredibly disenfranchised. Enough that they get conned easily.

Thatcher gutted them, many said they'd never vote for a Tory as long as they lived. Then Blair came in as new labour, talked a good game but didnt revive the north. Cameron ruined everything with endless austerity and somehow the right wing rags convinced the north that it was scary foreigners that took their jobs and not a mixture of Tory scum and sheer obsolescence. So they voted Brexit. Then the same mags and other shenanigans convinced them that Corbyn (guy who pushed socislism, told everyone that he'd do his best to drag everyone out the mire and end austerity) was a communist and wouldnt deliver brexit (he wanted a second cleaner vote since the first was hideously dirty) so they all voted for Boris Johnson, a man who's literally a caricature of the British upper class who's openly racist, homophobic, misogynistic, hates the working class and wasted so much money as the Mayor of London that its mind boggling. Oh and in the first month of his Premiership he ignored the North when it was flooded to hell.

They didnt just shoot themselves in the foot, they used an artillery strike on themselves. All for Brexit.

https://twitter.com/AmerIndependent/...19246672269312

Trump: "We have more cases that anybody in the world. But why? Because we do more testing. When you test, you have a case. When you test you find something is wrong with people. If we didn't do any testing, we would have very few cases. They don't want to write that."
    He is so dumb... We are so screwed...

That doesn't explain how Trump has a 40% approval if there are less Republicans? Recent GOP Presidents dropped below 30% when their approval collapsed. Trump remains at 40%. It is scary.
    There used to be actual swing voters. I don't think they exist anymore. Everything is partisan, the base is solidifying.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Oh, wow! I had no idea I had been that clever! Cool beans!

Independents and progressives disappointed that Saint Bernie flamed out in the primaries and decided out of spite to support Trump. Your guess is as good as mine.
    Trump has a lot of support from people who hate the system and want to see it smashed. People who aren't typically Republicans, but who feel they (or loved ones) have been screwed by buearocrats or ignored by them when they needed help. It's a solid boost to the base that other Republicans probably can't count on.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, but in the recent past the hardcore GOP base was closer to 25%. That it is now 40% is unnerving and tells me the country has gone in the wrong direction.
    Well Purge movies taught me Americans would rather kill each other than pay more taxes to improve the country.

At least Purge Hillary actually won her election. Maybe Purge Russia was busy with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Well Purge movies taught me Americans would rather kill each other than pay more taxes to improve the country.

At least Purge Hillary actually won her election. Maybe Purge Russia was busy with something else.
    Wait how did the purge start then ? The origin movie seemed to advertise heavily with Trump **** ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Wait how did the purge start then ? The origin movie seemed to advertise heavily with Trump **** ?
    IIRC the Purge origin movie advertised MAGA merch because it was produced when Trump was already in office. The Election Year movie was made before and Purge Hillary ran against a candidate I hear was modeled much more like Santorum than Trump.

There was actually a new Purge movie coming out, delayed currently by the pandemic.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Tbf the Norths problem is their incredibly disenfranchised. Enough that they get conned easily.

Thatcher gutted them, many said they'd never vote for a Tory as long as they lived. Then Blair came in as new labour, talked a good game but didnt revive the north. Cameron ruined everything with endless austerity and somehow the right wing rags convinced the north that it was scary foreigners that took their jobs and not a mixture of Tory scum and sheer obsolescence. So they voted Brexit. Then the same mags and other shenanigans convinced them that Corbyn (guy who pushed socislism, told everyone that he'd do his best to drag everyone out the mire and end austerity) was a communist and wouldnt deliver brexit (he wanted a second cleaner vote since the first was hideously dirty) so they all voted for Boris Johnson, a man who's literally a caricature of the British upper class who's openly racist, homophobic, misogynistic, hates the working class and wasted so much money as the Mayor of London that its mind boggling. Oh and in the first month of his Premiership he ignored the North when it was flooded to hell.

They didnt just shoot themselves in the foot, they used an artillery strike on themselves. All for Brexit.
    I agree with the first part, the neo liberalism of the 80's got the ball rolling on the beginning of the end for good paying manufacturing jobs in Northern Uk, and the American midwest, Blair/Clinton were pretty much Thatcher light. One could make an argument that the unions were out of hand in Britain. "winter of discontent" but in the United States they pretty much got demolished. I think union representation down there is 8 to 12% of the working population. There is also little in the way of a saftey net, and that's why there is so much support to reopen the economy, a lot of people are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I think there is some legitimate concerns on the economic impact of immigration if you have high levels for a consistent period (housing, rent prices, outsourcing, wage competition) that Trump, Boris Johnson and Farage have been able to skillfully exploit to their voting advantage, unfortunately they have done it in a manner that has given the green light for racists to come out of the woodwork. There is nothing more disgusting than seeing some moron, shout racist abuse at someone else because their Chinese, or a Muslim, or the latest boogyman. As for Corbyn, I will just quietly dissent, I'm no expert on UK politics, but I think someone like a Clive Lewis would have fared better against Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    As for Corbyn, I will just quietly dissent, I'm no expert on UK politics, but I think someone like a Clive Lewis would have fared better against Johnson
    Corbyn should never have been the leader against Johnson at the recent election. It's general practice to step down after you fail to win a GE; I don't know why he stayed after he didn't win against May the last time???
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Unemployment nears 20%, the White House is a literal clown show, we are approaching 100,000 dead and Trumps approval stays at 40%. I just don't get it?
    While I don't even want to make a case for the "Why?...":

- Most folks can be straight with themselves about the fact that we are talking about a pandemic. While there was certainly a better approach that could have been taken, folks aren't just going to be blind to the fact that this would be an unmitigated disaster no matter who was dealing with it.

- Trump stopped people traveling to the States from China. When you look at the whole world, that wasn't the worst call that some folks were making it out to be.

- Unemployment. I mean, come on. While you are throwing around a twenty percent figure, the guy is trying to get the economy open to reduce that number. No matter how I feel about his plan, it's not like I can say he isn't trying to address it. Never mind that everyone gets that it is a terrible number for a completely logical reason.

While he's still getting a "F" from me personally, I can see folks taking a look at the scenario as it played out and cutting the guy some slack.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Corbyn should never have been the leader against Johnson at the recent election. It's general practice to step down after you fail to win a GE; I don't know why he stayed after he didn't win against May the last time???
    I agree, well I also agree with the previous poster that the Tories did a good job of making him out to be Communist numero uno, his past affiliations didn't help his cause much, when George Galloway is your biggest cheerleader...it's a problem.

Ona another note, I am looking at these right wing militia pictures coming in from Michigan, and it really shows how the ideological rot is starting to set in. You can always tell political extremists on the left and right because they look like thugs ready to hold up a bank with their balaclavas & handkerchief masks.

Disturbing pictures, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they don't have a racist bone in their body. By looking at them, what do you think their views on women in traditional men's occupations are? Their views on gender or same sex couples, or homosexuality? It's not that hard to figure out.

There you go, racist or not, that's the far right, look at them, that's what there all about, it's plain as day,

more crazies.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I don't even want to make a case for the "Why?...":

- Most folks can be straight with themselves about the fact that we are talking about a pandemic. While there was certainly a better approach that could have been taken, folks aren't just going to be blind to the fact that this would be an unmitigated disaster no matter who was dealing with it.

- Trump stopped people traveling to the States from China. When you look at the whole world, that wasn't the worst call that some folks were making it out to be.

- Unemployment. I mean, come on. While you are throwing around a twenty percent figure, the guy is trying to get the economy open to reduce that number. No matter how I feel about his plan, it's not like I can say he isn't trying to address it. Never mind that everyone gets that it is a terrible number for a completely logical reason.

While he's still getting a "F" from me personally, I can see folks taking a look at the scenario as it played out and cutting the guy some slack.
    We know objectively it would not have been this bad were Hillary President.

He didn't stop people from China, only Chinese nationals.

And I would think his daily clown show would at least lose him a couple of percent. It hasn't. They have no logic, only passionate hatred and fear.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

We know objectively it would not have been this bad were Hillary President.

He didn't stop people from China, only Chinese nationals.

And I would think his daily clown show would at least lose him a couple of percent. It hasn't. They have no logic, only passionate hatred and fear.
    Think about the number you are talking about though...

To me, the breakdown in a Presidential General usually feels like "Thirds..." A Third that will go for the "R" version of the big two. A Third that will go for the "D" version of the big two. A final third whose politics fall outside of the sort of "Business As Usual..." politics of the big two or folks who are simply disillusioned with the entire thing.

Knowing that it is roughly thirds, it's not really that hard for me to look at that final third and think that there could be another five to seven percent that would believe that the response has been acceptable.

As for the "Clown Show..." costing him a couple of percent? Again, whatever might be lost out of the initial third feels like it could probably be made up in that final third. Not to mention that there could be a small amount coming from the second third.