Page 5007 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 40074507490749574997500350045005500650075008500950105011 LastLast
Results 75,091 to 75,105 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The hopeless cynic in me suspects they’ll find a way to bend the rules in Trump’s favor. But, I’m hoping that won’t be the case.
    I can't really predict the outcome. Trump appointed 3 judges and thinks they should be his employees for life. They might want to take this chance to fully be rid of him. Roberts represents the Republican establishment, they would also love to be rid of Trump. Alito and Thomas are going to rule in favor of Trump. The 3 liberal judges could also go either way - there are reasons to rule against as well as for.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I can't really predict the outcome. Trump appointed 3 judges and thinks they should be his employees for life. They might want to take this chance to fully be rid of him. Roberts represents the Republican establishment, they would also love to be rid of Trump. Alito and Thomas are going to rule in favor of Trump. The 3 liberal judges could also go either way - there are reasons to rule against as well as for.
    Alito will rule whichever way the Evangelicals tell him. Thomas will rule how Crow and the people who’ve paid his Mother’s mortgage say. If they feel threatened by a Trump autocracy it could go against him.

Remember when people had faith in the SCOTUS?
    Yeah, me neither.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 12-19-2023 at 07:30 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's worth noting that this was a narrow 4-3 decision by the Colorado State Supreme Court, and all of them were appointed by Democrats, so there actually isn't clarity on how liberal judges may rule.

I'd hope the decision is made based on the understanding of the law, rather than preferred outcomes.

I do wonder where this leads. It could sour primary voters on Trump. Or it could make more people believe that he's right, that the system is out to get him.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's worth noting that this was a narrow 4-3 decision by the Colorado State Supreme Court, and all of them were appointed by Democrats, so there actually isn't clarity on how liberal judges may rule.

I'd hope the decision is made based on the understanding of the law, rather than preferred outcomes.

I do wonder where this leads. It could sour primary voters on Trump. Or it could make more people believe that he's right, that the system is out to get him.
    System my ebony posterior. Trump put himself in trouble by stirring up that mob, then slow walking his response to ending the chaos, even after Sean Hamhocks, Laura Ignoramus and Dumbo Junior pleaded with him to call it off. Trump isn’t right about a goddamn thing here.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The system should be out to get hm. That’s how you get the system should respond.
    Healthy systems should eliminate corruption.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Ultimate Member

Regarding the Colorado ruling, I'm curious how the Supreme Court will go.

Kavanaugh is definitely not the "hawk" people thought he would be but Barrett has generally sided with the conservative bloc.

I can't imagine the Court will uphold the Colorado ruling. If they uphold it, I suspect many other states won't allow Trump on the ballot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    The system should be out to get hm. That’s how you get the system should respond.
    Healthy systems should eliminate corruption.
    Don’t “healthy” systems need to stay within their own rules??

I’m predicting the Supreme Court will strike down the Colorado ruling…it’s (in my opinion) a poor ruling. Trump hasn’t been convicted (yet!) of anything that should legally prevent him being a candidate. (Obviously in a sane world he would get very few votes.)

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Also some voters will hear about January 6 for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Don’t “healthy” systems need to stay within their own rules??

I’m predicting the Supreme Court will strike down the Colorado ruling…it’s (in my opinion) a poor ruling. Trump hasn’t been convicted (yet!) of anything that should legally prevent him being a candidate. (Obviously in a sane world he would get very few votes.)
    Trump himself has been doing everything to slow down the process that could lead to his conviction. The decision made by the Colorado judges is not one where the law requires "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Vivek Ramaswamy putting immense pressure on the Colorado Supremes to take back their decision by threatening that he will withdraw from the primary unless Trump is allowed to run.

So... yeah. Par for the course for this clown.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Vivek Ramaswamy putting immense pressure on the Colorado Supremes to take back their decision by threatening that he will withdraw from the primary unless Trump is allowed to run.

Oh no! His 5 supporters must be in a pure panic.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post

Is that a threat...or a promise?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It improves his chances of being Trump's VP pick.

It's mainly grandstanding, and trying to get Haley and DeSantis to follow his lead.

Hmm, come to think of it, it could be an effort to get Trump's endorsement if this leads to Trump getting kicked off the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Regarding the Colorado ruling, I'm curious how the Supreme Court will go.

Kavanaugh is definitely not the "hawk" people thought he would be but Barrett has generally sided with the conservative bloc.

I can't imagine the Court will uphold the Colorado ruling. If they uphold it, I suspect many other states won't allow Trump on the ballot as well.
    There are a few ways the court could go.

They could say Trump is an insurrectionist, and therefore constitutionally barred from running.

They could say that this part of the constitution shouldn't keep Trump off the ballot (this is the likeliest outcome.)

They could say that Colorado followed incorrect procedures.

It seems unlikely that they would say that it's up to Colorado to decide whether to consider Trump's candidacy a violation of the constitution. If this were to happen, other states would follow, especially with the court's blessing. Colorado was not considered a great state for Trump, but it certainly saves money for Democrats to get those votes in a general election without competing.

There remain some unknowns on how it works in the general election.

Maybe it'll persuade swing voters Trump is toxic. But it's also evidence that the system is refusing to abide by its own rules.

If this were to push Trump off the ballot altogether, it could be the best of all possible worlds for Republicans. They would get a more electable nominee, and the Trump supporters would still be motivated to go out and vote.

A current problem for the party is that if Haley or DeSantis were to win the nomination, which seems increasingly unlikely, Trump could encourage his supporters to stay home on Election Day.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

More potentially bad news for Trump:

Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.) must turn over almost 1,700 records recovered from his phone to the Department of Justice for special counsel Jack Smith’s investigation into former President Trump’s 2020 election interference case, a judge ruled Tuesday.

The federal judge’s ruling in D.C. is the latest turn in a long-standing battle with the DOJ for Perry, the chair of the House Freedom Caucus who helped press Trump’s baseless voter fraud claims in the run-up to the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol riot.