Page 5010 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 40104510491049605000500650075008500950105011 LastLast
Results 75,136 to 75,150 of 75153
    Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Lawyers do disagree on this one.
    Just pointing out that the it's not "palpably wrong" when a staunch conservative judge sees it as "unassailable."

Mary Ann Mendoza
    Welcome to what is the 1268th original profile here at “Fanatical Republican Extremist of the Day”, where we’ll be profiling Mary Ann Mendoza, who was a 2022 candidate for District 9 of the Arizona House of Representatives. Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but she was another Republican candidate for office whose viability as a candidate was a little less than the average member of the GOP on account of her having been photographed in blackface. She donned an “Aunt Jemima” costume at one costume party, and at a second one, decided to slap on some makeup to be “Pocahantas”.

If that wasn’t enough, she was to appear on the 2020 Republican National Convention as a peaker, but was pulled from the roster because she was promoting the Qanon conspiracy theory. But, apparently that made her a better candidate for office in Arizona two years later.

Mary Ann Mendoza finished fourth out of four candidates, getting just 23.8% of the vote. We’re hoping that she doesn’t become a perennial candidate for office, and that this will be the only time we mention her.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

A discussion from a month ago became relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Happy View Post
    Colorado judge agrees Trump incited insurrection, but lets him stay on ballot anyway

Coward. You had the judicial authority and moral imperative to establish that a president is not above the law, and you blew it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    If that judge ruled in favor of kicking Trump off the ballot, then his lawyers would’ve filed an appeal instead. In any event, this case will inevitably wind up before the Supremes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's certainly legally inconsistent.

If the law says that someone who incited insurrection is ineligible to run for office, and the judge as trier of facts determined that he incited insurrection, he should not be on the ballot. It really shouldn't make any difference whether it's a primary or a general election.

I'm wondering if she's wording it this way to signal to higher courts that are going to see this on appeal they should kick Trump off the ballot. It could have more authority that way.
    In retrospect, this may have been the strategy of the judge who ruled as a matter of fact that Trump engaged in insurrection, but that as a matter of law it doesn't prevent him from being on the ballot.

It gave a roadmap for the state supreme court to agree with her on facts, and come to a different conclusion on law.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Just pointing out that the it's not "palpably wrong" when a staunch conservative judge sees it as "unassailable."
    And from the other side, Slate (a center-left site) has a piece insisting the decision not only needs to be overturned, but overturned by all 9 votes on the SCOTUS.

The article has 2 main lines of attack. First, that the PotUS was excluded from the Insurrection Clause deliberately, and second, that it was only ever intended to apply to people who fought for the Confederacy.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And I used to like Schneider.

First thing- Biden is a practicing Catholic, I believe. I do know he actually goes to church, and doesn't just stand outside of one with a bible in his hand. Biden also knows that there is a separation of church and state, something the ultra-conservatives always like to ignore. If the Founders wanted this to be a Christian nation, they wouldn't have enshrined a freedom of religion in the Bill of Rights.
    You don't even have to go to the Bill of Rights. Even if you believe that the First Amendment only prevents the government from intruding on religion and not the other way around, there is a clause in the main body of the Constitution, which states that there shall be no religious test for public office. We ARE NOT a Christian nation and never have been. And it's time for holy rollers like John Schneider to finally get that, once and for all.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Didn't they put that protection into the Constitution as the words separation of church and state appear nowhere in the constitution or bill of rights.

The sad thing is that this isn't even extremism among Republicans anymore. Just an average Republican saying a typical Republican thing.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And I used to like Schneider.

First thing- Biden is a practicing Catholic, I believe. I do know he actually goes to church, and doesn't just stand outside of one with a bible in his hand. Biden also knows that there is a separation of church and state, something the ultra-conservatives always like to ignore. If the Founders wanted this to be a Christian nation, they wouldn't have enshrined a freedom of religion in the Bill of Rights.
    He has deleted the tweet, like a good Christian.

I think somebody needs to start a new news and politics thread. The board is loading very slowly and it might be the size of this thread.

I think somebody needs to start a new news and politics thread. The board is loading very slowly and it might be the size of this thread.
    Somebody or you, Captain?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

I've noticed that this page has suddenly started taking significantly longer to load than other sites for me as well. Is it time for Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back?
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    I've noticed that this page has suddenly started taking significantly longer to load than other sites for me as well. Is it time for Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back?
    The Empire Whines Back might be more fitting.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Doesn't this count as threatening the president, which if I remember correctly is against the law.

I guess Schneider is a good ol' boy who wants to do some harm now.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    And from the other side, Slate (a center-left site) has a piece insisting the decision not only needs to be overturned, but overturned by all 9 votes on the SCOTUS.

The article has 2 main lines of attack. First, that the PotUS was excluded from the Insurrection Clause deliberately, and second, that it was only ever intended to apply to people who fought for the Confederacy.
    Intended for but not actually stated? Then I'd think it can be used against the traitorous scumbag.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.