Page 541 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 4144149153153753853954054154254354454555159164110411541 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,115 of 75153
    Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    First of all, AOC is a freshman congresswoman. Freshman representatives rarely get to speak at the convention at all, except maybe to introduce a veteran Congressman or Senator who's a mentor to the freshman, as Bernie Sanders is to some extent for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Secondly, this is a procedural thing they do all the time for the second-place finisher. The only reason we're even talking about is because it's someone as popular as AOC doing it. If any of her supporters or Bernie's supporters don't understand that, then they need some more education on how politics in general and the Democratic Party in particular works.
    Or.

Maybe we focus on criticizing the media who created this misunderstanding?
    Rather than taking potshots at progressives?

I mean, are you really lacking this much self-awareness? This continued behavior by everyone just baffles me.
    I understand being frustrated, but how are progressives supposed to join you if you keep dogging and insulting them at every turn?

I just found out that the President insulted my people and my homeland, and wanted to exchange us like a used fucking car. Like we were objects or property.
    And I can't even start to commiserate on the fury that should unite all of us, without reading posts implying that Bernie/AOC supporters are political morons.

Last edited by Striderblack01; 08-19-2020 at 07:33 PM.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    First of all, AOC is a freshman congresswoman. Freshman representatives rarely get to speak at the convention at all, except maybe to introduce a veteran Congressman or Senator who's a mentor to the freshman, as Bernie Sanders is to some extent for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Secondly, this is a procedural thing they do all the time for the second-place finisher. The only reason we're even talking about is because it's someone as popular as AOC doing it. If any of her supporters or Bernie's supporters don't understand that, then they need some more education on how politics in general and the Democratic Party in particular works.
    Well Barack Obama had never held national office when he gave the keynote address at the 2004 convention. If these speaking slots were entirely assigned based on seniority and party loyalty, then these conventions would be extraordinarily dull affairs indeed. It's pretty clear that AOC is, just like Obama was, a political rising star who has charisma in spades and, critically, appeals to people who are broadly liberal-minded but generally indifferent about politics, a key demographic that the Democrats need to work hard to turn out if they want any chance of winning elections. Lecturing her supporters about how her brand of leadership needs to take a backseat to favor trading and backroom deals is hardly the way to fire up the base, and even if Biden manages to ride the anti-Trump sentiment to victory that kind of apathy will have plenty of effects down ticket. The moderate wing of the party would be THRILLED if they had someone as young, bright, and energetic as AOC in their camp, and would be promoting her as the future of the party and putting her face everywhere they could manage. The only problem, of course, is that centrists lack any real principles and are simply incapable of showing the kind of authenticity and passion that AOC does, because what about incremental reform is there to get excited about?

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It’s how conventions work....
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Or.

I mean, are you really lacking this much self-awareness? This continued behavior by everyone just baffles me.
    I understand being frustrated, but how are progressives supposed to join you if you keep dogging and insulting them at every turn?

I just found out that the President insulted my people and my homeland, and wanted to exchange us like a used fucking car. Like we were objects or property.
    And I can't even start to commiserate on the fury that should unite all of us, without reading posts implying that Bernie/AOC supports are political morons.

I absolutely agree with you that we should all be criticizing the media for making a mountain out of... nothing, really. Maybe they should have spent more time clarifying how the conventions work for people like me who don't usually follow it, instead of trying to stir shit up for ratings.

As for Puerto Rico- I feel like I heard this before. I know I heard that Trump wanted to buy Greenland or something; I guess now we know he wanted to trade Puerto Rico. Jesus Christ the man is an idiot.

Although....

Think we can get him to trade Kentucky away? I could do without having to see McConnell ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well Barack Obama had never held national office when he gave the keynote address at the 2004 convention. If these speaking slots were entirely assigned based on seniority and party loyalty, then these conventions would be extraordinarily dull affairs indeed. It's pretty clear that AOC is, just like Obama was, a political rising star who has charisma in spades and, critically, appeals to people who are broadly liberal-minded but generally indifferent about politics, a key demographic that the Democrats need to work hard to turn out if they want any chance of winning elections. Lecturing her supporters about how her brand of leadership needs to take a backseat to favor trading and backroom deals is hardly the way to fire up the base, and even if Biden manages to ride the anti-Trump sentiment to victory that kind of apathy will have plenty of effects down ticket. The moderate wing of the party would be THRILLED if they had someone as young, bright, and energetic as AOC in their camp, and would be promoting her as the future of the party and putting her face everywhere they could manage. The only problem, of course, is that centrists lack any real principles and are simply incapable of showing the kind of authenticity and passion that AOC does, because what about incremental reform is there to get excited about?
    Maybe they decided not to have AOC speak for longer because she's somewhat divisive among Democrats, and they really just want to focus on getting Trump the hell out of the White House? Maybe they'll have her speak longer during the next convention when the fate of the country doesn't hang in the balance. Just a thought.

Or.

And I can't even start to commiserate on the fury that should unite all of us, without reading posts implying that Bernie/AOC supporters are political morons.

Along this line...

The Democratic Party that lost a General Election to Donald Trump in 2106 is in no real position to tell anyone else about what kind and how much education they need.

Just completely failed on "First Day"/"Kindergarten" stuff, but are trying to hip you to what you need to be reading up on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Maybe they decided not to have AOC speak for longer because she's somewhat divisive among Democrats, and they really just want to focus on getting Trump the hell out of the White House? Maybe they'll have her speak longer during the next convention when the fate of the country doesn't hang in the balance. Just a thought.
    It's a bit rich to call AOC divisive when they've been giving platforms to freaking Republicans, eh? And if the fate of the country really does hang in the balance here, trotting out these crusty old public functionaries is hardly going to inspire the kind of turnout that the party will need. At least put someone out there who can pretend like this campaign is actually about something.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's a bit rich to call AOC divisive when they've been giving platforms to freaking Republicans, eh? And if the fate of the country really does hang in the balance here, trotting out these crusty old public functionaries is hardly going to inspire the kind of turnout that the party will need. At least put someone out there who can pretend like this campaign is actually about something.
    Never mind that if she is "Divisive..."?

You've probably got way bigger problems than that she is.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 08-19-2020 at 07:55 PM.

[QUOTE=PwrdOn;5104664 At least put someone out there who can pretend like this campaign is actually about something.[/QUOTE]

It's about everything.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

President Obama just verbally tore Trump to shreds, and Trump is having a Twitter meltdown.

Transcript of President Obama's speech.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 08-19-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Elizabeth Warren’s DNC Speech Included A Hidden Message

Viewers watching the third night of the Democratic National Convention noticed a covert message behind Sen. Elizabeth Warren as she delivered her remarks.

Colorful toy letters spelled out “BLM” behind the Massachusetts senator, who was speaking from a child care center.

It was an apparent homage to the Black Lives Matter movement, displayed to the Democratic Party at a time of ongoing protests against racism and racial injustice taking place nationwide.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Cuando el corazon asqueroso de el finalmente falle, cagare en la tumba, hijo de puta.
    iOh Dios mío!
    I absolutely agree with you that we should all be criticizing the media for making a mountain out of... nothing, really. Maybe they should have spent more time clarifying how the conventions work for people like me who don't usually follow it, instead of trying to stir shit up for ratings.

As for Puerto Rico- I feel like I heard this before. I know I heard that Trump wanted to buy Greenland or something; I guess now we know he wanted to trade Puerto Rico. Jesus Christ the man is an idiot.

Although....

Think we can get him to trade Kentucky away? I could do without having to see McConnell ever again.
    I've been to PR several times.

It's cleaner then any part of Mexico I've been to and cleaner than most of New York and Chicago ... but it does have some true slums and ghettos, the 1970-style US ones.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-19-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Although....

Hey, go easy on the Bluegrass state. The race between McGrath & McConnell is getting tighter. Don't forget the elected a Democrat for Governor.

Astonishing Member

True.

It's a political process that failed.
    I think that's on everybody that participated - not just Bernie.
    Except you're blaming everyone except Bernie. He's allowed to make mistakes, this is one of them.

As I thought, there is nothing substantial to argue against what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Except you're blaming everyone except Bernie. He's allowed to make mistakes, this is one of them.

As I thought, there is nothing substantial to argue against what I said.
    Collins loaded the gun.

Bernie put it on the table.

Trump pulled the trigger.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member