Page 545 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 4544549553554154254354454554654754854955559564510451545 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Democrats are not for Open Boarders, they are for a sane immigration policy. The open boarders BS is a right wing lie. Joe Biden has stated repeatedly he is not for defunding the police. And that is a misnomer. What the discussion is about is moving some things the police do to other social services. Also stop militarizing the police.

If there is medicare for all, then all Drs would have to take medicare. Except the few who can survive on private, elite practice. That is how it works in every modern country that has Universal Healthcare.
    These are things I admit I need to do more research on. These are things I am trying to learn more about. It is just hard to find unbiased correct information. I am trying though. So thank you to you and anyone else who can explain things in a calm non insulting fashion. I am not the most informed on politics but over the last year I have been trying very hard to learn more.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The problem with me and I will admit this is I did not care about politics for a long time. i was raised in a conservative republican family. Their view was all i heard and all I trust, I mean you have to trust family. When I came out my family (Not my mom and dad they have been great and supportive) treated me like the devil and even now many will not speak to me. So because of this I never took the time to learn. just believed what I heard. The last year I have been trying to learn, trying to understand more ponts of view. but because of my limited circle I dont have many people to ask. And I find bias on both sides of the isle. My faimily hard core republicans have nothing good to say about Dems. The criminal reform group I volunteer for have pretty much all liberals who have a hard line against anything conserivitve and look at me like I am the enemy when I try and ask questions. I get a lot of biased views or people talking at me like I am an idiot for not knowing what is disinformation and dont take time to explain.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    That should be the slogan for next week's Republican convention: "Trump 2020: I Have No Idea."
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thank you for explain that to me.

yes I understand how defunding the police department works. But cutting a massive amount of funding from police like they have done in La and New York and shutting down police units is not the answer. Social programs are fine. But social programs will not work for every criminal or person. I was in prison for four years with very bad people. people social programs would not help. We need prisons, we need police. We dont need to cut the police off at the knees and make it impossible for them to do their jobs.

That said we do need police reform. Spend more police funding on training, proper training, not just training on how to pull your gun ever five seconds. In prisons spend more money on programs. In the prison I was at there was very little programs. And the ones that were available were clogged with inmates who wanted to take them not to change but took them because they wanted to look good for a judge on early release.
    Redirecting some of the absurd money police departments get, to social services better suited for specific situations, isn’t cutting police off at the knees. It’s about making the police there for police issues, not a catch all for every social problem. Lots of situations need a more nuanced approach than the police provide, are trained for, or is even their job.

It’s about getting rid of the need for the police to handle everything. Something the police themselves have expressed they’re having to deal with. You don’t send the police to put out a house fire, why send them to deal with the mentally ill?

In Seattle specifically, we defunded all the mental institutions and out those people on the streets. Now they’re the polices problem. And the citizens problem. And they are a problem. But there’s no social services to help them. Spend some fucking cop money on that!!!

The problem with me and I will admit this is I did not care about politics for a long time. i was raised in a conservative republican family. Their view was all i heard and all I trust, I mean you have to trust family. When I came out my family (Not my mom and dad they have been great and supportive) treated me like the devil and even now many will not speak to me. So because of this I never took the time to learn. just believed what I heard. The last year I have been trying to learn, trying to understand more ponts of view. but because of my limited circle I dont have many people to ask. And I find bias on both sides of the isle. My faimily hard core republicans have nothing good to say about Dems. The criminal reform group I volunteer for have pretty much all liberals who have a hard line against anything conserivitve and look at me like I am the enemy when I try and ask questions. I get a lot of biased views or people talking at me like I am an idiot for not knowing what is disinformation and dont take time to explain.
    Passions are running high, and people are on edge this year. No one should make assumptions about you or anyone. I don't believe in talking down to anyone unless they have shown the type of stubborn ignorance that refuses to listen and learn.

Grouping everyone together and calling them the devil isn't right. It's a form of bias, and it goes in both directions. We will disagree at times with each other, but I hope everyone on this forum can try hard not to prejudge someone. I'd like to see more civil discourse between people all along the political spectrum. Again, that goes both ways.

babyblob, if you ask a question, I will do what I can to answer it. I don't expect you to suddenly switch parties or change your outlook, but that you are open to new ideas, and learning about them is good thing.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Redirecting some of the absurd money police departments get, to social services better suited for specific situations, isn’t cutting police off at the knees. It’s about making the police there for police issues, not a catch all for every social problem. Lots of situations need a more nuanced approach than the police provide, are trained for, or is even their job.

It’s about getting rid of the need for the police to handle everything. Something the police themselves have expressed they’re having to deal with. You don’t send the police to put out a house fire, why send them to deal with the mentally ill?

In Seattle specifically, we defunded all the mental institutions and out those people on the streets. Now they’re the polices problem. And the citizens problem. And they are a problem. But there’s no social services to help them. Spend some fucking cop money on that!!!
    In the case of the mentally I would send a social worker thats fine. But I would still also send a police officer for back up. I have schizoaffective disorder. I have had episodes where I had to go to the hospital. But there have been times when I have been out in public and have had an episode that made me a threat to myself and others. What if you send a social worker to someone like me who is having an episode and cant control what they do and start attacking people. You need a cop there. Not as a lead maybe but as back up for sure.

There needs to be more funding for metal health. I have had bad bad experiences int he mental health field. Train some officers who specialty is dealing with mental health. Spend some police funding on that as well.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-20-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Passions are running high, and people are on edge this year. No one should make assumptions about you or anyone. I don't believe in talking down to anyone unless they have shown the type of stubborn ignorance that refuses to listen and learn.

Grouping everyone together and calling them the devil isn't right. It's a form of bias, and it goes in both directions. We will disagree at times with each other, but I hope everyone on this forum can try hard not to prejudge someone. I'd like to see more civil discourse between people all along the political spectrum. Again, that goes both ways.

babyblob, if you ask a question, I will do what I can to answer it. I don't expect you to suddenly switch parties or change your outlook, but that you are open to new ideas, and learning about them is good thing.
    Thank you. You have always been polite in your views from what I have read on your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Steve Bannon getting indicted is the best news I've had all week.
    Yes. It cheered me up.

I never hope people do jail time for non violent offences...it’s an awful punishment and far too many people there already...but a massive fine and maybe 6 months of compulsory road sweeping...would be a wonderful result.

In the case of the mentally I would send a social worker thats fine. But I would still also send a police officer for back up. I have schizoaffective disorder. I have had episodes where I had to go to the hospital. But there have been times when I have been out in public and have had an episode that made me a threat to myself and others. What if you send a social worker to someone like me who is having an episode and cant control what they do and start attacking people. You need a cop there. Not as a lead maybe but as back up for sure.

There needs to be more funding for metal health. I have had bad bad experiences int he mental health field. Train some officers who specialty is dealing with mental health. Spend some police funding on that as well.
    This is what it's talking about. I feel like you're actually for these things, you've just been mislead. I don't know what your news outlets are, but a lot of Conservative news outlets outright lie. I'm sorry, but it's true. I'f you're going to continue reading/watching them, look up some fact checking sites as well.

This is what it's talking about. I feel like you're actually for these things, you've just been mislead. I don't know what your news outlets are, but a lot of Conservative news outlets outright lie. I'm sorry, but it's true. I'f you're going to continue reading/watching them, look up some fact checking sites as well.
    That may be the case. you may be right. But one problem I have is when I see interviews with people on MSNBC or CNN and when they talk about situations like the mentally ill, or domestic violence they talk about sending a social worker. Fine but they also talk about sending no police because they would only make things worse. And that is not a smart view. That is what upsets me and that is what I dont agree with.

You always have to work the kinks out. They’re just talking. Police as back up is most likely needed in certain situations, and that’s something the social workers will need to speak up about. These are details that need to be figured out by the people doing the jobs.

I watched most of this interview on CNN this morning. Disturbing, to say the least. It confirms what all of us found obvious from the beginning.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-cam...-mental-state/

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...orry-about-his

Former Department of Homeland Security (DHS) official Miles Taylor on Thursday said that administration advisers have expressed concerns about President Trump’s “mental acuity.”

“It’s easy to make light of this,” Taylor, who served as chief of staff to former DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said in an appearance on CNN's "New Day.”
    “The internet’s flooded with memes of really funny instances of Donald Trump showing less-than-great mental acuity. But this was discussed often. This was discussed daily. I am telling you with every fiber of my being that some of the president's closest advisers did
    not think he had the mental acuity to do the actual job," he said.
    “We would go in there in meetings … you would sit there trying to keep your jaw from hitting the floor because you’re trying to present the president sensitive threat intelligence and information that he needs to consider and he can’t keep his mind on it," Taylor continued.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 08-20-2020 at 11:02 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

You always have to work the kinks out. They’re just talking. Police as back up is most likely needed in certain situations, and that’s something the social workers will need to speak up about. These are details that need to be figured out by the people doing the jobs.
    I agree. There is a lot of talk with extremes on both sides. people who say no police at all in some situations and people like me who hear that and assume no police at all. (but to be fair to me I have heard interviews with community leaders who want no police at all.) This is a rough time in the country with problems that need to be worked out but sadly there are people who did not want to work together.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-20-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

ITA with this. In some cases its about being exposed in real life to other people. In the Oil and Gas Industry I am constantly exposed to a typical GOP voter and the more extremist conspiracy type Trump voter. So I can realize from personal experience subtle differences. While still completely disagreeing with the hypocrisy I see them exhibit every day.

The frustration people have with trying to debate or have honest conversations with some is trying to wrap your head around what should be obvious. GOP has been more than clear that they cant stand LGBT. They have voted for the most homophobic platforms officially the last 2 election cycles. I mean look at the policies they have championed since trump has been in office. The Real List of Trump’s “Unprecedented Steps” for the LGBTQ Community

Now like I said I work with GOP voters. One thing to understand for people that are not in daily contact is they don't generally look at social issues like liberals do. They aren't turned off from voting from people because they are anti LGBT, or are racist even. Its weird for us to understand. Because, in a way it doesn't make sense. Especially if you are a minority or LGBT. They take your money sure they will parade you as their token ____ to assure people see we arent that bad. But, what do they do in practice and policy. That's what matters.

If it was up to the GOP there would be no gay marriage. They were pissed that the Supreme Court just allowed LGBT protections from workplace discrimination. They are vowing to get another justice that will be "loyal" this time. That should frighten the **** out of any LGBT. They aren't being mysterious or sly. They are stating adamantly and publicly their utter disdain for you.

Minorities are frequently and openly disenfranchised from voting. They don't even try to court minority votes. They would rather we don't vote at all. Or Gerrymander us into as little representation as possible to hoard power. As a double minority myself I could NEVER vote for a party that cannot stand me as a human being and would actively try and make my life harder and miserable. And that's what the GOP is and what they stand for. So when people say that both parties are just the same....no they are not.

Until GOP is forced to completely and utterly cut ties with that racist segment of their base, and actively seek to court and engage with the majority of the country again including minorities. Voting for them is just unthinkable in my mind. And most of the country honestly. We will probably never see them get the popular vote in an election for this reason alone. Thats why they are going to these obvious extremes right now trying to sabotage voting and the USPS.

I see Bannon's been charged with fraud. No use wasting money prosecuting him while Trump's in office. He'd be just another fellow criminal crony that Trump pardons.
    Power with Girl is better.