Page 554 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 5445450454455055155255355455555655755856460465410541554 ... LastLast
Results 8,296 to 8,310 of 75153

Wait a minute! Tiffany's going to speak? When did she stop being persona non grata?

Also, I hate to defend Trump, but a candidate's family speaking at the convention is nothing new. I mean, at the Democratic convention, we heard Jill Biden speak, we heard Hunter Biden speak and we heard Ashley Biden speak. If Beau Biden were still alive we-- wait, we did hear a tape of him introducing his father from the 2008 convention. So while I will probably disagree with most of what Trump's wife and kids have to say, I won't begrudge the Republican Party for putting them on the stage.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 08-22-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    Watching television is not an activity.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Wait a minute! Tiffany's going to speak? When did she stop being persona non grata?
    I'm a bit surprised as well. Maybe they begged her to come back to keep the illusion of a happy family despite it being obvious they aren't at all?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Also, I hate to defend Trump, but a candidate's family speaking at the convention is nothing new. I mean, at the Democratic convention, we heard Jill Biden speak, we heard Hunter Biden speak and we heard Ashley Biden speak. If Beau Biden were still alive we-- wait, we did hear a tape of him introducing his father from the 2008 convention. So while I will probably disagree with most of what Trump's wife and kids have to say, I won't begrudge the Republican Party for putting them on the stage.
    I guess the thing is that there’s so many damn siblings speaking, something that didn’t happen with the last several presidential candidates. By the by, saw some delicious snark on Twitter yesterday about how people can’t wait to hear Michelle Obama’s speech again when Melania speaks. Sick. Burn.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I think the point is more in the percentage. The percentage of Bidens who spoke as a percentage of everyone who spoke at the Convention was much smaller than what is expected at the Republican Convention.

Basically, it looks like they couldn't find enough people to speak at Trump's 'Coronation' so they dragged out as many Trumps as they could, including Tiffany. The only one missing is Jared.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I think the point is more in the percentage. The percentage of Bidens who spoke as a percentage of everyone who spoke at the Convention was much smaller than what is expected at the Republican Convention.

Basically, it looks like they couldn't find enough people to speak at Trump's 'Coronation' so they dragged out as many Trumps as they could, including Tiffany. The only one missing is Jared.
    Don’t forget Mary L., but then, she wouldn’t have been invited anyway, not after that book she wrote. Meanwhile, the hopeless cynic in me suspects the plan all along was to have the entire Trump clan hog time onstage, regardless of however many speakers had been lined up.

Foreign diplomats in the US stewing over what they are missing at 2020's virtual political conventions

(CNN) -- As foreign ambassadors to the US sit at home watching the Democratic National Convention from their couches, they are upset about what they are missing: a prime opportunity to schmooze with the officials who could be part of an incoming administration if the Democratic nominee, Joe Biden, beats President Donald Trump in the November election.

Traditionally, diplomats swarm the Republican and Democratic conventions -- filling their schedules with cocktail parties and breakfast meetings with party insiders, seeking to gather any information they can about who is who and the policies they favor.

They're looking to meet America's current power brokers and future leaders, all with a view to developing helpful relationships and getting a better understanding of how an American election might affect the political relationship and economic and strategic ties with their country -- all of which gets written up and sent back to foreign capitals around the world.

"You can't replace the personal interactions," said one ambassador. "It is just not the same thing."

The Democratic convention wraps up its largely virtual events on Thursday evening, while the Republican National Convention holds its virtual gathering from Monday through next Thursday.

In secretly recorded audio, President Trump’s sister says he has ‘no principles’ and ‘you can’t trust him’

Maryanne Trump Barry was serving as a federal judge when she heard her brother, President Trump, suggest on Fox News, “maybe I’ll have to put her at the border” amid a wave of refugees entering the United States. At the time, children were being separated from their parents and put in cramped quarters while court hearings dragged on.

“All he wants to do is appeal to his base,” Barry said in a conversation secretly recorded by her niece, Mary L. Trump. “He has no principles. None. None. And his base, I mean my God, if you were a religious person, you want to help people. Not do this.”

Barry, 83, was aghast at how her 74-year-old brother operated as president. “His goddamned tweet and lying, oh my God,” she said. “I’m talking too freely, but you know. The change of stories. The lack of preparation. The lying. Holy ****.”

Lamenting “what they’re doing with kids at the border,” she guessed her brother “hasn’t read my immigration opinions” in court cases. In one case, she berated a judge for failing to treat an asylum applicant respectfully.

The NRA, in a last-ditch gasp for survival, is waging war against Biden and Harris.

NEWS: @NRA just announced they want me to defend my family. Their crime organization already brought on the murder of my daughter and others. My plan is different than their plan.

WE WILL BREAK THE NRA AND THEIR USE OF THE DONATIONS THEY BRAG ABOUT TO HOLD LEGISLATORS HOSTAGE.

It was on this date in 2014 that "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published our profile of Cliff Stearns, a twelve-term Florida Congressman who at one point during the debate over the Zadroga Bill that would provide medical coverage for 9/11 first responders, suggested that those American heroes should have to first go through background checks to assure they weren’t on a terror watch list before they could get coverage. He was also accused of offering someone a bribe to drop out of a primary, along with a variety of other ethics violations, voiced his suspicions about President Obama’s birth certificate, and led the GOP charge in their 2011 attempt to defund Planned Parenthood. In the 2012 elections, during the primary for his House seat, Stearns underestimated Tea Party candidate Ted Yoho, got upset, and thus ended up going into an early retirement, being given a fond send-off from Republicans at the 2012 RNC.

It was on this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019, that “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" shared our profiles of the U.S. House Representative from California’s 25th Congressional District, Steven Knight, who prior to being elected to Congress as a California State Senator, campaigned hard to keep the Confederate flag being sold at gift shops in the state (in spite of California not being a part of the Confederacy), showed a fervent need to uphold California’s ban on bilingual education, cast a vote against a ban on gay conversion therapy, and that he was also a supporter of Proposition 8, the anti-gay marriage ban in California, completing a hat trick of bigotry to be on the wrong side of African-Americans, Hispanics AND the LGBT community. Knight was also against workers’ rights, and even simple ideas like raising the minimum wage. Since arriving in Washington, Rep. Knight has been a consistent conservative vote, particularly anti-abortion legislation, supporting such laws regardless of if they attempt to redefine rape and incest, and voting for a ban on abortion at 20 weeks. We did mention how narrowly Knight was elected, and that his seat is considered vulnerable in the 2016 elections from both the left, and right, because of his reaction to anti-amnesty immigration protesters who showed up at his office on April 21st, 2015. One of the protesters shook Rep. Knight’s hand, and accused him of lying, saying he researched Knight’s vote on HR 240, and that he had “voted for amnesty for immigrants”. Now, that might not be the most nuanced interpretation of Knight’s vote (considering that the alternative was to defund the Department of Homeland Security). But perhaps the best way to respond would not have been Rep. Knight’s response, which was, “If you touch me again, I’ll drop your ass.” Go figure, threatening to beat up your own constituents will not endear you to them. Steven Knight was considered one of the most vulnerable Republican incumbents in 2018, and even though his district had not voted Democratic since 1993, Katie Hill managed to flip his seat with the help of the Blue Wave. He has yet to run for office since that defeat. As such, we’ll set aside his profile at this time, and take a look at another kooky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 904-45, since this was established in July 2014.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Deanna Tesoriero aka Deanna Lorraine

Welcome to what is the 904th original profile here at “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day”, where we’ll be discussing Deanna Lorraine aka Deanna Tesoriero, a candidate running to be the next U.S. House Representative for California’s 12th Congressional District, a quest in which we will certainly fail, because she’s expecting to unseat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in her extremely liberal San Francisco district. Lorraine’s campaign, from the jump, is nothing more than a conservative trolling effort, make no mistake. This may be what romantically linked her to another CSGOPOTD with the same political goals, Omar Navarro, who we covered about a year and a half ago, at the time mentioning how he stalked his former girlfriend who got a restraining order against him. Lorraine is that ex, and they had a lot in common.

In 2008, Deanna Lorraine was a “dating coachlove guru in San Diego, trying to help singles find love (while never being married herself), who talked in general terms about using techniques like “clinical hypnotherapy”, “thetahealing” and “spiritual energy healing” to help couples truly bond. This may come as a shock… but it was never given accreditation by the Better Business Bureau, and as of October of 2019, she owed a 40,000 tax lien. That debt shut her dating service down six years ago, and around the time Donald Trump started to grift his way into national politics in 2015... Deanna Lorraine also began her interest in politics.

If you noticed the fact that we mentioned Deanna’s business is located in San Diego, we’ll mention she lives in Los Angeles… 400 miles away from where the district she’s running to represent is. So… that’s awkward.

But, we’re really going to be honest… Deanna Lorraine is a never-ending repository for terrible opinions.

In the end, DeAnna Lorraine finished a distant fifth of six candidates in the open primary for California’s 12th, earning all of 1.8% of the vote. She is currently trying to rebrand herself as some sort of celebrity for this “achievement” while staying relevant by being voraciously bigoted. We’re doubting that ends up being any more of a successful endeavor than her dating service.

But only one other key speaker at the DNC was a Biden. Jill Biden. Hunter and Ashley (and the pre-recorded tape of Beau) were not keynote speakers.

Trump Accuses FDA Of ‘Deep State’ Conspiracy Against Him Over COVID-19 Vaccine Testing

Nancy Pelosi says accusation goes “beyond the pale,” even for Trump, “in terms of how he would jeopardize” Americans’ health to serve his reelection. More proof that there's no bottom when it comes to Trump, especially a desperate Trump who's freedom is on the line.

Top FDA Official Says He Would Resign If Agency Rubber-Stamps Unproven COVID-19 Vaccine

Public health officials are worried that the Trump administration will pressure the FDA to authorize a COVID-19 vaccine in advance of the presidential election. Right now, I fear it isn't a question of IF that happens, but WHEN.

Europe Took A Holiday From COVID-19. Now It’s Paying The Price.

New coronavirus cases hit record highs across the continent, providing the starkest warning since lockdown that the pandemic isn’t over.

====================

In non-coronavirus news:

House Approves Sending USPS $25 Billion In Rare Saturday Session

Speaker Nancy Pelosi said to “ignore” President Trump, who claims without evidence that massive voter fraud will accompany an increase in mail-in voting.

In Leaked Audio, Trump Credits Black Americans Who Didn’t Vote In 2016: Reports

“Many Blacks didn’t go out to vote for Hillary ’cause they liked me,” Trump claimed.

QAnon Cultists, Emboldened By Trump, Rally In Hollywood To Spread Dangerous Conspiracies

QAnon rallies were planned in at least 200 locations across the U.S. on Saturday. Welcome to the Qpublican Party.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-23-2020 at 02:12 AM.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/william-b...140223826.html

The attorney general, William Barr, told Rupert Murdoch to “muzzle” Andrew Napolitano, a prominent Fox News personality who became a critic of Donald Trump, according to a new book about the rightwing TV network.

Related: After a repentant Trump voter's one-man protest, what happened next?

Barr’s meeting with Murdoch, at the media mogul’s New York home in October 2019, was widely reported at the time, with speculation surrounding its subject. According to Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth, by CNN media reporter Brian Stelter, subjects covered included media consolidation and criminal justice reform.

“But it was also about Judge Andrew Napolitano.”
    BuT CAnCel CUlTuRE

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Trump Accuses FDA Of ‘Deep State’ Conspiracy Against Him Over COVID-19 Vaccine Testing

Nancy Pelosi says accusation goes “beyond the pale,” even for Trump, “in terms of how he would jeopardize” Americans’ health to serve his reelection. More proof that there's no bottom when it comes to Trump, especially a desperate Trump who's freedom is on the line.

Top FDA Official Says He Would Resign If Agency Rubber-Stamps Unproven COVID-19 Vaccine

Public health officials are worried that the Trump administration will pressure the FDA to authorize a COVID-19 vaccine in advance of the presidential election. Right now, I fear it isn't a question of IF that happens, but WHEN.

Europe Took A Holiday From COVID-19. Now It’s Paying The Price.

New coronavirus cases hit record highs across the continent, providing the starkest warning since lockdown that the pandemic isn’t over.

====================

In non-coronavirus news:

House Approves Sending USPS $25 Billion In Rare Saturday Session

Speaker Nancy Pelosi said to “ignore” President Trump, who claims without evidence that massive voter fraud will accompany an increase in mail-in voting.

In Leaked Audio, Trump Credits Black Americans Who Didn’t Vote In 2016: Reports

“Many Blacks didn’t go out to vote for Hillary ’cause they liked me,” Trump claimed.

QAnon Cultists, Emboldened By Trump, Rally In Hollywood To Spread Dangerous Conspiracies

QAnon rallies were planned in at least 200 locations across the U.S. on Saturday. Welcome to the Qpublican Party.
    This QAnon thing could really morph into something far more serious if folks don’t vote carefully.

The US could be turned into a country that has its policy guided by fighting conspiracy theories than real world issues. The warning signs are already there with Trump and there are more crazies being emboldened by him.

The covid-19 crisis and high fatality rate just showed how easily a crisis can be exacerbated when leaders stop ignore reality and govern based on false narratives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    But only one other key speaker at the DNC was a Biden. Jill Biden. Hunter and Ashley (and the pre-recorded tape of Beau) were not keynote speakers.
    THIS. The convention usually has the prospective First Lady talk about the candidate, and sometimes one other family member might speak kindly about them. Bush in 2000 and 2004 didn't march every member of that LARGE family, that is a political dynasty, out to herald W as keynote speakers. One or two? Normal. SIX? F***ing sad.

Donald Trump fills the night with family members because A) he loves hearing his own surname and B) he can't find anyone else to say anything nice about him.

By the way, this RNC is likely to be a s***show considering 2016 was on so many levels. The only thing it did "right" was turn the evening into a witch rally to get the crowd all lathered up to scream "LOCK HER UP", which isn't as likely to work when there's no crowd present, and they have f*** all except the attempted Ukraine-gate stuff that blew up in their face and led to Trump being impeached. And, y'know, people weren't brainwashed for three or four decades to hate Joe Biden, and nothing has stuck yet.