Page 573 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 7347352356356957057157257357457557657758362367310731573 ... LastLast
Results 8,581 to 8,595 of 75153
    Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    BUt WhY DoNt ThEy JuST CoME tHE rIGhT WAy!!!?
    'Cuz America's system is filled with red tape and we constantly swap in new leaders every few years who favor or oppose immigration policies. Does not help there's a hard cap on the amount of people, regardless of nation, so the same number of people can come in from Bahrain as India, despite the differences in population.

I'm certainly not one to give Mets a charitable read, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to the autism spectrum.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Yeah, I read nothing in Mets post to suggest he was implying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    'Cuz America's system is filled with red tape and we constantly swap in new leaders every few years who favor or oppose immigration policies. Does not help there's a hard cap on the amount of people, regardless of nation, so the same number of people can come in from Bahrain as India, despite the differences in population.
    It also doesn't help that there is, and always, has been people actively working within the system undermine minorities at every step.

These people followed the rules, learned all the steps, caught the beat, but someone decided it was their job to change up the tempo.

And I highly doubt this administration will be one to rectify any damage this person caused.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

There are many aspects of politics that can be measured on a scale (or spectrum). Not everything is either or, though some things are more clear cut. That is how I read what Mets was trying to say.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Excuse me? Did you say "spectrum"?

Say that again. I dare you.

Thing about "cancel culture" is that while there are people who are actively going out of their way to ruin anyone who has made a dumb mistake once in their lives, thus making it harder for people to atone for said mistakes, it's more or less used to dismiss complaints about people that constantly act like buffoons and need to be isolated from society in general, as they have shown they will not learn from past transgressions. It's now a pigeonhole term used to handwave stuff you don't care for.
    By spectrum, I meant that there are degrees of it.

I made a similar comment in 2015.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post1086285

The term is often used by conservatives, but there's been plenty of concern about it on the left. Jonathan Chait's New York article kicked off a lot of the current discussion.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ng-to-say.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2..._unpacked.html

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-the-left.html

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/11/salo..._peace_summit/

Political correctness exists on a spectrum, with plenty of disagreement about what's out of bounds, and general agreement that certain behavior is unacceptable. A board of education member who says he's not going to educate women because their only role is to make babies is going to be out of a job, and this technically fall under the umbrella of political correctness. That suggests that there's a level that we can accept as a society.

It's arguably a problem in academia and certain social media circles, where liberals don't have to worry about arguing with moderates or conservatives.

Obviously I see this from a different perspective, but one worry for many progressives would be that political correctness is a system with significant support that makes it too difficult to talk about certain topics for fear of backlash from your side. That means that the conversation could be limited to the most radical members of the left, and the people who aren't as worried about being labeled by them (ie- conservatives who get to limit the fight to the most extreme members of the opposition.)
    I've used spectrum in a similar way numerous times.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...um#post1565899

There are a few factors that contribute to differences in party perception.

Due to the constituencies, the excesses of the parties will differ. Democrats are the party of minorities and also the party of big government, so Republicans will be more likely to tolerate the bigotry of the majority. Democrats are more likely to support sending people to jail for refusing to perform certain duties, while Republicans are more likely to believe there's a free market solution.

Republicans are the party of uneducated white people, a group that it's socially acceptable to mock. Democrats are the party preferred by uneducated Afircan-Americans and Hispanics, who it's less socially acceptable to mock.

If we split most politicians on a spectrum from far right to far left, with the right, the center-right, the center, the center-left and the left somewhere in between, someone on the center-left will be as close to the center-right as to the far-left, and will see the right-wing as completely out of bounds. The American media is generally center-left, if not more liberal, so they'll see Susan Collins or Charlie Baker as Bernie Sanders' ideological equivalents. They're more likely to understand where a liberal who says something outrageous (IE- Hillary Clinton wanting to put Terry Jones in jail for burning a Koran) is coming from, so it's less likely to get coverage.

Demographics do force some of the crazier liberals to broaden their appeal. An LGBT activist or militant atheist will have to appeal outside of their group in order to get votes. There are plenty of areas where white married Christians are the majority of the voters.
    Spectrum is a useful word when used to classify things between two extremes that don't fit within a simple binary.

I don't like referring to things outside of someone's argument (what they say and how they say it) when responding to them, so if you or someone else I'm responding to, has a personal connection the autism spectrum, it's not something for me to bring up in a discussion about an RNC speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    There are many aspects of politics that can be measured on a scale (or spectrum). Not everything is either or, though some things are more clear cut. That is how I read what Mets was trying to say.
    Exactly.

Political correctness and cancel culture would be things that aren't binary.

Some people will think it's not okay to fire an analyst for tweeting about an inconvenient study, but that is okay to fire an analyst who makes racist crank calls at three in the morning. We don't always articulate it that way, so some of the points on cancel culture get to weird binaries, like asking if someone who complains about it in one context is against penalties in all contexts, or suggesting that because someone deserved what they got everyone who is "cancelled" deserves it.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 08-26-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Meanwhile, Cohen is doxxing Falwell and the Trump family.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/polit...tos/index.html
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The current Right wing narrative is to blame the protestors. The GOP base is slowly being radicalized.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Slowly?!

huh. Seems to me this has been their standard operating procedure for years.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    The current Right wing narrative is to blame the protestors. The GOP base is slowly being radicalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Slowly?!

huh. Seems to me this has been their standard operating procedure for years.
    I would argue slowly, too, 20-25 years ago.

It's been rapid lately.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Yes he was being attacked in the viral video but you don’t travel across state line with an AR-15 unless you’re looking for trouble. Sounds like there was an altercation, he shot a guy, all hell broke loose, and then he just opened fire with his assault rifle. All while the police looked on.

I’m sure he’ll be celebrated as a hero by the right. Any remaining “moderate republicans” can now be considered “right leaning democrats” because the Republican Party is now the party of Trump, Q, and white nationalism.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I was going to post this in the MLB thread but this is a social issue not just a baseball issue. The Brewers have decided that as a form of protest over the police shooting they will not play tonight game against the Reds. Both the Reds Manager and Brewers Manager have said this is more important then Baseball and if this helps shed light on a huge problem they are glad to do it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I was going to post this in the MLB thread but this is a social issue not just a baseball issue. The Brewers have decided that as a form of protest over the police shooting they will not play tonight game against the Reds. Both the Reds Manager and Brewers Manager have said this is more important then Baseball and if this helps shed light on a huge problem they are glad to do it.
    This also applies to the NBA, as no games will take place tonight, or possibly tomorrow.

This also applies to the NBA, as no games will take place tonight, or possibly tomorrow.
    Trump’s America is a scary place. I’ve never felt more frightened about the future of our nation.