Page 579 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 7947952956957557657757857958058158258358962967910791579 ... LastLast
Results 8,671 to 8,685 of 75153
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That point in de-escalation should be a critical part of police training.

I’ve seen videos recently of Police being all “fired up” when confronting suspects in black neighborhoods only for bystanders to calm down the situation....when it should be the other way round.

That’s what made the George Floyd incident so galling, people were literally trying to calm down the officers but they got even more incensed. The Police aren’t attack dogs or a domestic military force, they should know how to peacefully de-escalate situations especially when they are dealing with UNARMED MEN.

As Trevor Noah said, a Police man that is so terrified of an unarmed man that he needs to apply lethal force shouldn’t be a Police man, period.
    De-escalation training is mandatory for all police officers in Canada, particularly when you are dealing with people who have anxiety or mental health issues.

The thing that bothers me most about police in the United States is how often I see them approaching people with their firearms drawn. Pointing a firearm at someone can cause an immediate spike in flight or fight anxiety, which can lead a suspect to due irrational things like run or resist arrest.

That is the opposite of de-escalation training. Good policing requires strong community involvement, which appears to be severely lacking in the disturbing videos that pop up again and again on people's cellphones and police video cam footage in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That's been a thing for years, and websites like the chans, reddit and You Tube aren't only problems for America. The Christchurch incident, in New Zealand, happened because of this. The shooter broadcast it live on Facebook! Governments need to do more about these websites to stop their radicalisation.
    Yes it appears so, I have no love for the cancel culture far left which feels creepily totalitarian, but...

the ideology of the far right is much more dangerous because it drives people towards mass murder, over and over again. From Norway, to South Carolina, to Pennsylvania, to Virginia to New Zealand to the 17 year old boy in Wisconsin.

The question is do we just de platform them from social media to the fringes where they belong, or do we ban their speech alltogether? Because there is something inherent in alt right & militia ideology that triggers people's self preservation instinct to go out and kill the perceived enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Nothing wrong at all with Trade schools. The issue to me is how a lot of shows tend to make Trade work seem low brow. Or if you're studying physics your a weirdo who cant talk normal and acts socially weird. The same is true of the reverse.
    My wife and I have discussed presenting the option to our kids based on aptitude, and career aspiration. If they want to be a chemical engineer, college is the route. If they want a career they can start immediately after school with a reduced risk of incurring debt they should look at trade school.

I don't see plumbers and electricians become obsolete profession anytime soon.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    De-escalation training is mandatory for all police officers in Canada, particularly when you are dealing with people who have anxiety or mental health issues.

The thing that bothers me most about police in the United States is how often I see them approaching people with their firearms drawn. Pointing a firearm at someone can cause an immediate spike in flight or fight anxiety, which can lead a suspect to due irrational things like run or resist arrest.

That is the opposite of de-escalation training. Good policing requires strong community involvement, which appears to be severely lacking in the disturbing videos that pop up again and again on people's cellphones and police video cam footage in the United States.

Yes it appears so, I have no love for the cancel culture far left which feels creepily totalitarian, but...

the ideology of the far right is much more dangerous because it drives people towards mass murder, over and over again. From Norway, to South Carolina, to Pennsylvania, to Virginia to New Zealand to the 17 year old boy in Wisconsin.

The question is do we just de platform them from social media to the fringes where they belong, or do we ban their speech alltogether? Because there is something inherent in alt right & militia ideology that triggers people's self preservation instinct to go out and kill the perceived enemy.
    One thing I'd like to see happen is an easier to use non-emergency line.

I have no idea off the top of my head how to call about a non-emergency, and most people don't think to look for it.

Let's say someone who is skittish around black people sees something that raises their hackles, like a kid drawing on the side walk or whatever other bullshit reason they have to be afraid. They could call... let's say "101" and say, "There are some people i don't know. I don't know what they are doing. No one is getting hurt, I just don't trust this."

Then the cops may come check it out but likely aren't sending "Officer Bang Bang", and can send "Officer Feelings" instead who may be better trained to deal with non threatening situations.

If someone knowingly calls an emergency line and makes a false report like that woman in central park, charge them with false reporting, and if it results in death 2nd degree homicide or Mansaughter.

It also frees up the emergency line to deal with actual life threatening situation where death or harm is likely. Like someone fighting in the streets or brandishing a weapon.

Obviously the non-emergency line cops would also be carrying and capable of dealing with situations that escalate, but their SOP would be deescalate first.

Officer Bang Bang could keep showing up when **** pops off as part of a emergency response team.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 08-27-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I've seen conservatives tell people to go to trade school instead of college but never seen the media vilifying education.
    Trade school gets villified in media, its the reason the show "Dirty Jobs" existed, to raise awareness that there are jobs out there that get a bad rap but where people put in the same or better work ethic as everyone else. There is nothing wrong with trade school or doing menial jobs, at all.
    It's vilified but not in the way we all expect it to be.

How many romance movies, comedies and novels has HOT female going after or being hit on by a guy with a blue collar job (or a job that requires certification in a trade school)? How many of her friends or family take issue with it?

The conservatives won't badmouth it. Why? As my Dad put it "the white boy who flunks out of college or high school has to go somewhere."

Those schools are the safety net for many. Which is why some of them are made to look bad because you are getting questionable students. Generally they are used for someone who has tried everything and settled for this. Be it an Al Bundy, TI, failed NBA player or whoever.

In other words no one goes to them first is the perception.

I have no idea off the top of my head how to call about a non-emergency, and most people don't think to look for it.
    Actually that does exist.

We have that in Texas.

They will even tell you to call 911 if they think it is an emergency. I just think folks don't call 311 first. 311 is what it is in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

We have that in Texas.

They will even tell you to call 911 if they think it is an emergency. I just think folks don't call 311 first. 311 is what it is in Dallas.
    I wish we did where I live. And I wish they'd make efforts to get people to use it. I think it could really cut down on deadly results.

One of my friends recently saw some guy wandering around at weird hours, but he wasn't really messing with anyone. She was worried he might have a disability or some other issue, but didn't want to call anyone because she didn't want the cops showing up all keyed up and ready to bop.

Ultimately nothing happened though, because he wasn't bothering anyone... and she minded her own business.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 08-27-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    Pull List:

Trump’s economic adviser Peter Navarro lashed out at Canadian soldiers helping the US in Afghanistan

President Donald Trump’s director of Trade and Manufacturing Policy, and the national Defense Production Act policy coordinator, Peter Navarro lashed out at Canadian soldiers who are stationed in Afghanistan, CTV News cited.

According to a new book by CNN’s Jim Sciutto, Navarro alleged that “every time a Canadian shows up in uniform, it’s doing us a favor? How’s that work?”
    Afghanistan certainly isn’t Canada’s war nor is it theirs to clean up. Still, the country has helped with over 40,000 members of the Canadian Armed Forces during the 12-year Operation Enduring Freedom from 2001-2014. Sadly, 158 Canadian soldiers gave their lives for the NATO mission.
    “Were they doing us a favor, or were they brought into the idea they needed to do that as part of the global effort against terrorists?” Navarro is quoted saying. “I mean, if they were just doing us a favor, maybe their government should have been thrown out of office.”
    Sciutto said that he was shocked by the remarks as Canada has been an American ally for many years.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

I swear, its almost as if the Trump administration made a pact with Satan to offend all our allies

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    I wish we did where I live. And I wish they'd make efforts to get people to use it. I think it could really cut down on deadly results.

One of my friends recently saw some guy wandering around at weird hours, but he wasn't really messing with anyone. She was worried he might have a disability or some other issue, but didn't want to call anyone because she didn't want the cops showing up all keyed up and ready to bop.

Ultimately nothing happened though, because he wasn't bothering anyone... and she minded her own business.
    311 is digging information in most other states, FYI.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    311 is digging information in most other states, FYI.
    Good to know. When the derecho swept through we had a tree knockout a transformer and block the street but had no internet so I had no idea how to notify anyone.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's vilified but not in the way we all expect it to be.

How many romance movies, comedies and novels has HOT female going after or being hit on by a guy with a blue collar job (or a job that requires certification in a trade school)? How many of her friends or family take issue with it?

The conservatives won't badmouth it. Why? As my Dad put it "the white boy who flunks out of college or high school has to go somewhere."

Those schools are the safety net for many. Which is why some of them are made to look bad because you are getting questionable students. Generally they are used for someone who has tried everything and settled for this. Be it an Al Bundy, TI, failed NBA player or whoever.

In other words no one goes to them first is the perception.

We have that in Texas.

There's 311 in New York as well.

I thought it was more about situations that don't involve sending authorities after specific people (like reporting a non-working traffic light or an abandoned vehicle) but looking at the website, it seems to be used for minor complaints about individuals (noise complaints, lack of mask-wearing.) It is going to be tough to educate citizens that 911 is for emergencies and 311 is for something that raises hackles, especially since many people won't be able to tell the difference.

This could be something for local politicians to advocate for in places where it doesn't exist.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

One thing I'd like to see happen is an easier to use non-emergency line.

Let's say someone who is skittish around black people sees something that raises their hackles, like a kid drawing on the side walk or whatever other bullshit reason they have to be afraid. They could call... let's say "101" and say, "There are some people i don't know. I don't know what they are doing. No one is getting hurt, I just don't trust this."

Then the cops may come check it out but likely aren't sending "Officer Bang Bang", and can send "Officer Feelings" instead who may be better trained to deal with non threatening situations.

If someone knowingly calls an emergency line and makes a false report like that woman in central park, charge them with false reporting, and if it results in death 2nd degree homicide or Mansaughter.

It also frees up the emergency line to deal with actual life threatening situation where death or harm is likely. Like someone fighting in the streets or brandishing a weapon.

Obviously the non-emergency line cops would also be carrying and capable of dealing with situations that escalate, but their SOP would be deescalate first.

Officer Bang Bang could keep showing up when **** pops off as part of a emergency response team.
    As a Canadian it's harder for me to get a clear perspective of the situation in the United States, because there are many things that are different, but I would say....

that officer bang bang shouldn't be employed, he should be going through re-training, or being discharged. There is no place for him in a modern police force.,and that

every officer should be officer feelings, or at least be treating the suspect like a citizen first and a suspected criminal second.

Finally, I like your idea of a non emergency line, unfortunately if a person is triggered by seeing a black person in their neighborhood, chances are they are going to phone 911 anyways. (They probably have some mental health issues of their own when I hear why some people have called into 911)

It's probably one of those things that is so systemically entrenched culturally, that sadly it will probably take more than a lifetime to fully resolve, neverthless it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    As a Canadian it's harder for me to get a clear perspective of the situation in the United States, because there are many things that are different, but I would say....

that officer bang bang shouldn't be employed, he should be going through re-training, or being discharged. There is no place for him in a modern police force.,and that

every officer should be officer feelings, or at least be treating the suspect like a citizen first and a suspected criminal second.

Finally, I like your idea of a non emergency line, unfortunately if a person is triggered by seeing a black person in their neighborhood, chances are they are going to phone 911 anyways. (They probably have some mental health issues of their own when I hear why some people have called into 911)

It's probably one of those things that is so systemically entrenched culturally, that sadly it will probably take more than a lifetime to fully resolve, neverthless it couldn't hurt to give it a try.
    Oh I agree, but I also realize how much of an uphill battle that will be. I'm just trying to spitball solutions that could be beneficial and would be fairly easy to at least try implementing.
    Pull List:

Mighty Member

Yes, yes I saw that, were used to being Trump's punching bag by now.

He's upset that Trudeau wouldn't come down to sign the new NAFTA changes, and that he refuses to open the borders up for State's that rely on our commerce.

If he handled the COVID19 crisis properly, and reined in governor jackarse of Texas & Florida, to stop the spread, things might be different, but...

the way things stand in the US right now, we can't open the borders anymore than we have, it's too risky for us.

Why Republicans Can Get Away With Violating Laws Democrats Have to Obey

One reason, particular to this administration, is that Trump violates so many norms so flagrantly that he shatters the scale. There’s only so much journalistic bandwidth. Covering Trump’s violations of laws and norms by the standard you would apply to a normal president would mean banner headlines every day and interrupting television programming with breaking news every night.
    -----
    Reporters assume small Democratic scandals “matter” much more than small Republican scandals, because Democratic voters follow news coverage that treats those violations seriously and Republican voters don’t.

Hurricane Laura brings down Confederate monument a southern town recently voted to keep in place

Overruled.

Hurricane Laura appears to have torn down a Confederate monument that a southern town recently voted to keep up. The deadly Category 4 storm blew into Lake Charles, Louisiana, overnight, where wind speeds reportedly reached 150 mph.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.