Page 591 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 9149154158158758858959059159259359459560164169110911591 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,865 of 75153
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Right, but your post was an implict acceptance of the fact that 'cancel culture is growing', when it in fact doesn't actually exist, as we know from every supposedly cancelled comedian's multimilion dollar netflix special and the appearances of supposedly cancelled people at the president's behest in front of an audience of millions and so on.

Meanwhile, George Floyd is still dead.
    Saying that cancel culture doesn't exist doesn't seem like a very centerist position to me, but I'll look up that argument...though I already have a good idea of who'll be making it.

But believe what you want kid, it's your own journey, stay true to your convictions, as long as you vote for Biden in the fall were good, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Saying that cancel culture doesn't exist doesn't seem like a very centerist position to me, but I'll look up that argument...though I already have a good idea of who'll be making it.

But believe what you want kid, it's your own journey, stay true to your convictions, as long as you vote for Biden in the fall were good, cheers.
    The problem with this perspective is cancel culture isn’t real, at least not in the way people believe it is. Instead, it’s turned into a catch-all for when people in power face consequences for their actions or receive any type of criticism, something that they’re not used to.

I’m a black, Muslim woman, and because of social media, marginalized people like myself can express ourselves in a way that was not possible before. That means racist, sexist, and bigoted behavior or remarks don’t fly like they used to. This applies to not only wealthy people or industry leaders but anyone whose privilege has historically shielded them from public scrutiny. Because they can’t handle this cultural shift, they rely on phrases like “cancel culture” to delegitimize the criticism.
    https://time.com/5735403/cancel-culture-is-not-real/

Ultimate Member

Cancelling people in the US isn’t a leftist or liberal position, tons of prominent Americans had their careers cancelled by conservative or right leaning people for decades now. Whether it’s labelling actors as communist or Sinead O’Connor tearing the picture of the Pope or Janet Jackson showing her boob during Super Bowl or the Dixie Chicks losing their entire careers for criticizing George Bush during the Iraq War, people have been destroyed by more conservative elements for a long time now (note how a number of them are women). Colin Kapernick very recently lost his entire playing career for daring to peacefully protest police brutality.

The only difference now is that people are being savagely criticized for socially regressive views. This was never the case before because social media wasn’t a thing and people were smart enough to hide their views. The new right just loves to play victim hood when they are spewing all manner of garbage that rightly gets criticized. Guys like Tucker Carlson and far-right agitators simply want to be allowed to spread their bigotry unchecked without consequence which again is completely hypocritical considering how much they condemned Colin Kapernick and other black athletes protests (Laura Ingraham was so heavily criticized that she had to explain how she could support Tom Brady airing his political views but completely condemned Lebron James for doing the same).

The whole crying against cancel culture by guys like Trump is very hypocritical considering he did everything to publicly condemn the exonerated five back in the day. Ultimately, cancel culture as it’s been framed by the right isn’t a thing. What’s happening now is that people are facing the consequences of saying or doing dumb shit....and a lot of these people were in days past seemingly immune to cancel culture.

Ultimate Member

That’s just one person’s opinion.

Let me know when Louis CK still isn't selling out concerts and the Dixie chicks get the years of their lost career back, but oh no, some guy on the internet said stormtrooper costumes are bad in an era of glorified fash. This is like the media hyperventilating about 'the left' trying to change the national anthem, but it was literally just two people whose opinion they sought.

BANNED

Let me know when Louis CK still isn't selling out concerts and the Dixie chicks get the years of their lost career back, but oh no, some guy on the internet said stormtrooper costumes are bad in an era of glorified fash. This is like the media hyperventilating about 'the left' trying to change the national anthem, but it was literally just two people whose opinion they sought.
    George Floyd is dead and centrists are fretting about sci-fi Halloween costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    George Floyd is dead and centrists are fretting about sci-fi Halloween costumes.
    I'd simply call it Unexamined reactionary viewpoints. It's not really a centrism thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I only count one person doing it, and many of the people confronting him aren't leftists.

Mighty Member

You said cancel culture doesn't exist, I gave you an example that it does. It's not the first time people have banned Star Wars Stormtrooper costumes because they are a symbol of white supremacy.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...r-wars-themed/

I could post wacko stuff like this all night but confirmation bias states I'd just reinforce the opposite opinion, and the last thing I want to do is turn you into a raging far left fanatic who thinks white writing paper promotes racism, your smarter than that.

Anyways good call on the Dixie Chicks, that is indeed a conservative example of cancel culture. Corporate radio has transformed country music into one fined tuned Republican values machine.

Nighty night boys, I'll let you have the last word, cheers.

You said cancel culture doesn't exist, I gave you an example that it does. It's not the first time people have banned Star Wars Stormtrooper costumes because they are a symbol of white supremacy.
    Your example is bad. I already said why.

Not wanting people dressed as nazis at a college reunion is not 'cancel culture'.

I could post wacko stuff like this all night but confirmation bias states I'd just reinforce the opposite opinion, and the last thing I want to do is turn you into a raging far left fanatic who thinks white writing paper promotes racism, your smarter than that.
    Too late. I'm already a raging leftist.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 08-29-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I do not believe Rand Paul's neighbor is the equivalent of the allied powers in World War Two.

What the fuck mets?

We're talking about an angry electorate declaring their outrage in the streets yesterday, not the old story with the neighbor. What kind of teacher debates like this? What kind of example are you being?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    People should have been upset by AOC being accosted. No one should be accosted because of their stance or party.
    Politics is not singing Kumbaya.

Calling a colleague a bitch is crossing a line, of course. But should Trump not have been booed at sports events? Should Joseph Welch not have called Senator Joseph McCarthy indecent?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    What the fuck mets?

We're talking about an angry electorate declaring their outrage in the streets yesterday, not the old story with the neighbor. What kind of teacher debates like this? What kind of example are you being?
    Since students of the world are probably not looking to a comic book message board for whatever the heck it is you are on about here?

It's looking like a complete non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    F*** cancer.

RIP Chadwick Boseman.

Wakanda Forever.
    I'm sitting here crying. Fuck cancer. Fuck 2020.

Hillary was right!