Page 60 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364701101605601060 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    And here I thought you were going to start addressing the "right" routinely engaging in voter suppression and armed right-wing white supremacists marching through our streets instead.

Good thing no one is holding their breath expecting you to change your ways.

Granted, the wolf whistle of "political correctness" provides ample "plausible deniability" for said suppression and supremacists, so said perspective is completely understandable in that respect.

And to be clear I understand that you are explaining why some on the right feel this way but realistically speaking it is primarily a strawman argument used to justify racist, sexist and homophobic behavior.

Even this site had to deal with them directly not so long ago.

That said this might be one of the few popular forums where you aren't considered an "SJW" just for speaking out in support of "minorities" for exacly that reason.
    If you have a non-loaded question about voter suppression or armed white supremacists I'll do my best to answer it. It does not seem like a relevant tangent to my earlier comment.

If discussions about political correctness don't favor the Democratic party, I understand that it's easier for liberals to just view it as dog whistles (a wolf-whistle seems to be something else) and to pretend that it's all pretext for a different argument. Do you believe this standard should be adopted by conservatives to your right and by Bernie bros to your left when addressing the concerns of people on your side?
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 05-17-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Man, I wouldn’t do that job even if I were offered a blank check and told I could name my price. I’m surprised he hasn’t gone batty from the isolation.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Man, I wouldn’t do that job even if I were offered a blank check and told I could name my price. I’m surprised he hasn’t gone batty from the isolation.
    This all sounds like the beginning to a rip off of The Shining, but it's all real.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This would be true if the arguments were limited to basic civility, but it's not that simple.

Political correctness exists on a spectrum, where there are a matter of degrees. Some of this should be avoided, but it is possible to go too far. When topics become taboo, it limits the ability to address important issues. Understandings and discussions can quick shiftly, which can be disorienting for people who don't follow left-wing politics very closely, and they're going to get pissed off at the hint of a possibility for professional blowback.

I've quoted a piece about this a few years back in New York magazine about how many on the left started seeing political correctness as more important than freedom of speech.
    The quotes are very interesting. While I also acknowledge the counter-argument that the anti-pc argument is often a pretext for bigotry, it is also true that we are in a culture that I personally don't have an easy descriptive word for where there are people who sift through every choice of words trying to find something that can be construed as racist/ sexist/ bigoted/ phobic and declare it to be such out of sincere belief that it is but also because it curtails any argument or discussion.
    Power with Girl is better.

If you have a non-loaded question about voter suppression or armed white supremacists I'll do my best to answer it. It does not seem like a relevant tangent to my earlier comment.

If discussions about political correctness don't favor the Democratic party, I understand that it's easier for liberals to just view it as dog whistles (a wolf-whistle seems to be something else) and to pretend that it's all pretext for a different argument. Do you believe this standard should be adopted by conservatives to your right and by Bernie bros to your left when addressing the concerns of people on your side?
    I'm a liberal democrat and even I have to salute this.

Ultimate Member

Has nothing to do with favor and everything to do with reality vs strawmen arguments.

It wasn't "political correctness" that led to this forum being reset -- and you know that.

It was the lack of it and the sexist behavior that you are trying to justify by creating strawmen arguments instead of directly addressing "the left" that is here posting alongside you every single day.

With that in mind its not the "right" that your argument "favors" as we all can see the result of political incorrectness in the White House daily just as we saw it here on this forum.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Has nothing to do with favor and everything to do with reality vs strawmen arguments.

It wasn't "political correctness" that led to this forum being reset -- and you know that.

It was the lack of it and the sexist behavior that you are trying to justify by creating strawmen arguments instead of addressing "the left" that is here posting alongside you every single day.

With that in mind its not the "right" that your argument "favors" as we all can see the result of political incorrectness in the White House daily.
    I was gone during the time of the reset but, from what I've heard, what happened here was not anti political correctness but downright rudeness, crudity and obnoxious behavior. To me, anti PC and I mean true anti PC is a reaction against a sub-culture that mines every word and thought for something to be construed as sexist, etc., basically hyper-sensitivity and actively looking for something to be offended by combined with the belief that your feeling of being offended should shut down all discussion of anything you don't agree with. When you are outright demeaning, insulting and threatening women, that is NOT being anti PC. That is being a sexist, belligerent jerk. The very idea of comparing what happened here to simply being anti PC is itself an illustration of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don't know. Choice of luxury room, all you can eat, a view to die for. There are probably worse ways to isolate.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I was gone during the time of the reset but, from what I've heard, what happened here was not anti political correctness but downright rudeness, crudity and obnoxious behavior. To me, anti PC and I mean true anti PC is a reaction against a sub-culture that mines every word and thought for something to be construed as sexist, etc., basically hyper-sensitivity and actively looking for something to be offended by combined with the belief that your feeling of being offended should shut down all discussion of anything you don't agree with. When you are outright demeaning, insulting and threatening women, that is NOT being anti PC. That is being a sexist, belligerent jerk. The very idea of comparing what happened here to simply being anti PC is itself an illustration of the problem.
    What happened was the definition of political incorrectness behavior-wise -- it's relatively easy to find because you can see much worse on virtually every unmoderated site.

What you are arguing is a relative strawman which is why I cite real examples of political incorrectness rather than hypothetical examples that only seem to surface in discussions of said behavior.

If people spent as much time addressing actual sexism, racism and homophobia then "political correctness" wouldn't be an issue.

The strawman serves its purpose -- to deflect from any real discussion of said real issues: the enemy becomes the legendary mythical "SJW" not the actual sexists, racists and homophobes.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2020 at 01:19 PM.

What happened was the definition of political incorrectness behavior-wise -- it's relatively easy to find because you can see much worse on virtually every unmoderated site.

What you are arguing is a relative strawman which is why I cite real examples of political incorrectness rather than hypothetical examples that only seem to surface in discussions of said behavior.

If people spent as much time addressing actual sexism, racism and homophobia then "political correctness" wouldn't be an issue.

The strawman serves its purpose -- to deflect from any real discussion of said real issues: the enemy becomes the legendary mythical "SJW" not the actual sexists, racists and homophobes.
    Obviously, you cannot quote some of the things that were said during that situation nor would I want you to.

But I agree that the sexist, racist sort of things are common on unmoderated forums which is why I don't go to them anymore.

What I'm saying is more a philosophical point and a point about being able to discuss things at all as opposed to "You can't even hold an opinion based on scientific reality because, if you do, you're this or that bad thing and that way, all discussion and evidence is shelved".

My life experience of social pressure may be different from yours.

"The Tower of Babel can't have really happened because gravity..."

"Are you questioning the one true religion of the one true god in front of everyone? We're shutting you down through social pressure and now, we don't have to actually deal with the evidence".

Granted, that's not what religion was meant to be and it's a very poor form of religion and a very poor form of approach to any topic but that's my point, it's a poor approach.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Obviously, you cannot quote some of the things that were said during that situation nor would I want you to.

But I agree that the sexist, racist sort of things are common on unmoderated forums which is why I don't go to them anymore.

What I'm saying is more a philosophical point and a point about being able to discuss things at all as opposed to "You can't even hold an opinion based on scientific reality because, if you do, you're this or that bad thing and that way, all discussion and evidence is shelved".

My life experience of social pressure may be different from yours.

"The Tower of Babel can't have really happened because gravity..."

"Are you questioning the one true religion of the one true god in front of everyone? We're shutting you down through social pressure and now, we don't have to actually deal with the evidence.
    The evidence is that "politically imcorrect" posts are what led to the reset of this forum.

Conversely there are far more complaints about "political correctness" than any real problems caused by those espousing it.

It's the equivalent of saying "antifa" whenever right-wing violence is addressed.

Non-loaded question for Mets or any Republican on the forum:

How can anyone still be proud to be a Republican now that they're anti-democratic, anti-voting rights, openly associate with white nationalists, advocate for actions that result in mass death of Americans (Covid-19 related, gun related, or environmental regulation related), and their general platform is, "we have a Constitutional right to be ***holes to people who aren't us"?

Seriously, that's not a loaded question. This is your party right now. Why defend it?
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkTCv44e-rE

Interesting point of view here or at least I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Non-loaded question for Mets or any Republican on the forum:

How can anyone still be proud to be a Republican now that they're anti-democratic, anti-voting rights, openly associate with white nationalists, advocate for actions that result in mass death of Americans (Covid-19 related, gun related, or environmental regulation related), and their general platform is, "we have a Constitutional right to be ***holes to people who aren't us"?

Seriously, that's not a loaded question. This is your party right now. Why defend it?
    This is a loaded question in that it assumes a lot of things that have not quite been established. It's not meant to be taken literally or seriously.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets