Page 62 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566721121625621062 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    And this is how many on the "right" are perceived based on both their behavior and actions.

Firstly, a criticism of the flaws of extreme Liberalism is not an endorsement of extreme Conservatism.

Secondly, it is clear that this is the sort of thing that happens when you have a racist madman in charge and we should be focusing on what will defeat him and the Republicans which, in fairness, I think is what Biden will do, focus on what will be most likely to defeat him, that is, and, hopefully, actually beat him. Focusing on political correctness in the way the Democratic party is going will not.

Maher is right that a lot of people do not perceive the Democratic party as caring about their interests and I will say that two of the things Maher mentions apply to me. Yes, extremist Republicans are murderously insane. Extremist Democrats are mostly just sensitive and trivial. So it might be a great idea to defeat those Republicans.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is a loaded question in that it assumes a lot of things that have not quite been established. It's not meant to be taken literally or seriously.
    I see. Then like a stereotypical Republican, you have a blind loyalty based in denying the facts. Because all of the things I listed are true right now.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Depends on who you are.

I would say going too far is pretty much saying anything a POC or LGBTQ does is because of PC.

Black panther winning Oscars is because it was a black movie and no one was brave enough to say they didn't like it. because no one wanted to be called racist.

Let take that cover issue that got the forum reset.

We get a rest over how Wonder Girl looked and how trolls went nuts after someone called out how sexualized we see many women. Funny thing is Dwayne McDuffie bought that up too with Dc censoring Static #25 over being too sexual yet that same month Legionaries had a white female showing her Kardashian behind.

Years later we saw that same issue again with Riri Williams-a variant by J Scott Campbell. Funny how folks behaved on that.

We have seen folks elsewhere throw fits towards how women should look. Netflix She Ra say HI. So does the black girl and fat girl on New Warriors. We even saw it done to Squirrel Girl and She Hulk. With comments of this is not how you drawn women.

It's a battle of all females should come in one shape and form.
    I mean, I’m all for more diversity and representation whether it be in comics, tv, or movies. It’s just about fair opportunities and people being able to see someone who looks like themselves in the story.

I don’t know, I am largely of the same opinion as aja_christopher. All to often when people complain about sjw or political correctness it just seems like a deflection from more serious issues.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Firstly, a criticism of the flaws of extreme Liberalism is not an endorsement of extreme Conservatism.

Secondly, it is clear that this is the sort of thing that happens when you have a racist madman in charge and we should be focusing on what will defeat him and the Republicans which, in fairness, I think is what Biden will do, focus on what will be most likely to defeat him, that is, and, hopefully, actually beat him. Focusing on political correctness in the way the Democratic party is going will not.
    We can do both.

Maher is right that a lot of people do not perceive the Democratic party as caring about their interests and I will say that two of the things Maher mentions apply to me. Yes, extremist Republicans are murderously insane. Extremist Democrats are mostly just sensitive and trivial. So it might be a great idea to defeat those Republicans.
    Extremists on the left aren't all loyal Democrats and the problem they bring is undermining the Democrats while the Democrats fight Republicans. It's really not helpful when they do everything in their power to discredit the Democratic nominees and encourage people not to vote in elections. They should be our allies but when they do this they're the GOP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    We can do both.

Extremists on the left aren't all loyal Democrats and the problem they bring is undermining the Democrats while the Democrats fight Republicans. It's really not helpful when they do everything in their power to discredit the Democratic nominees and encourage people not to vote in elections. They should be our allies but when they do this they're the GOP's.
    True on the first but I think we need to push what will get the win and then focus on the rest.

I think you're talking about Bernie supporters wanting to undermine Biden just because the party didn't go with Bernie? There definitely needs to be unity to get the Republicans out of power.

Ultimate Member

I never said it was.

I just pointed out that if the issue is one of "perception" then it's only fair to show an objective comparison of both sides in said regard.

Especially when the reality is that one "'side" routinely suppresses the rights and votes of "minorities" and has a much higher body count.

Railing against "political correctness" is how a racist like Trump deflected criticism of said racism all the way to the White House.

Pewdiepie can advocate shooting Jews as a "joke" and casually drop the hard-R N-word and still be a top rated celebrity -- same for Joe Rogan who can host white supremacists and call black people "apes" while still maintaining one of the most popular podcasts in the world.

You basically have to go full Roseanne before you get cancelled by the "left" for "political incorrectness" in modern society.

Meanwhile, the extremists on the right are actually trying to kill people -- not get shows cancelled.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

True on the first but I think we need to push what will get the win and then focus on the rest.

I think you're talking about Bernie supporters wanting to undermine Biden just because the party didn't go with Bernie? There definitely needs to be unity to get the Republicans out of power.
    The vast majority of Sanders supporters will support Biden though, just like they did with Clinton. Sanders himself has already endorsed Biden. It’s silly to keep pointing fingers at Sanders supporters, constantly blaming them causes just as much disunity as anything else.

Advocating for national healthcare isn’t extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    The vast majority of Sanders supporters will support Biden though, just like they did with Clinton. Sanders himself has already endorsed Biden. It’s silly to keep pointing fingers at Sanders supporters, constantly blaming them causes just as much disunity as anything else.

That was just a guess at what Steel Inquisitor was referring to.

Advocating national health care should not be extreme. Many Americans cannot see that we are the primitives of the free world on that. But it's probably better to try winning first. That's clearly part of the reason Bernie, who was my candidate, didn't win, because he was considered too extreme.

Ultimate Member

Advocating national health care should not be extreme. Many Americans cannot see that we are the primitives of the free world on that. But it's probably better to try winning first. That's clearly part of the reason Bernie, who was my candidate, didn't win, because he was considered too extreme.
    It's considered "extreme" because the right wing has denied facts and science in the interest of attaining and holding onto power.

And while they are in power and denying science more Americans have died from the recent pandemic than any other nationality in the world.

Many of them African-American and uninsured working in "essential jobs" with no real access to quality medical care.

Unemployment is at nearly 20% and our economy is in a worse crisis than the last Republican fiasco back under Bush Jr.

If they lose the election, they will dump the whole problem on Democrats, complain about spending and repeat the same cycle all over again.

Maybe they'll elect another representative who calls Mexicans rapists and criminals and black presidents "Kenyan Muslims" or possibly someone even more direct in his racist and xenophobic ideology -- then when called out for it they'll again whitewash said behavior by claiming they were just tired of all of the "political correctness" under Democrats.

And if they win, there's no telling what Trump will do in his second term backed by a Republican party that supports said behavior.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    It's considered "extreme" because the right wing has denied facts and science in the interest of attaining and holding onto power.

While they continue to deny science more Americans are dying from the recent pandemic than any other nation in the world.

Many of them African-American and uninsured working in "essential jobs" with no real access to quality medical care.

Unemployment is at nearly 20% and our economy is a worse crisis than the last Republican fiasco back under Bush Jr.

If they lose the election, they will dump the whole problem on Democrats, complain about spending, and repeat the same cycle all over again.

And if they win, there's no telling what Trump will do in his second term backed by the Republican party.
    Agreed and I'm suggesting they focus on whatever they think is the best possible strategy to win.

Interesting video here of Sam Harris dissecting Trump and predicting a massive virus four years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdDo1A7EsyM

And here on the transsexual issue some good insight I didn't know about but some very good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Ironic because the first video shows Harris on a subject he understands and the second shows him on a subject he knows little about.

BANNED

Bernie Sanders was only considered extreme because his policies would force Americans to actually try and live up to the ideals which we pretend like we stand for, because in the back of our minds we all sort of recognize that doing this might just cause the entire country to collapse in a bundle of self-contradiction. As long as the average American voter cares more about their own comfort and convenience than the well-being and dignity of everyone below them on ladder, Republicans will always win out, regardless of whatever short term successes the Democrats might have.

Ultimate Member

Agreed and I'm suggesting they focus on whatever they think is the best possible strategy to win.
    Ensure that African-American voters have fair and equal representation in elections since they are the most loyal Democratic voting bloc in America.

When black people are motivated to show up to vote and said votes are not suppressed, Democrats win presidential elections.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Bernie Sanders was only considered extreme because his policies would force Americans to actually try and live up to the ideals which we pretend like we stand for, because in the back of our minds we all sort of recognize that doing this might just cause the entire country to collapse in a bundle of self-contradiction. As long as the average American voter cares more about their own comfort and convenience than the well-being and dignity of everyone below them on ladder, Republicans will always win out, regardless of whatever short term successes the Democrats might have.
    Studies have proven that many Americans will vote against said policies so long as they think "minorities" might benefit from them.

We all know the truth -- it's only a question of how long America can live in denial with someone like Trump leading our nation.

Edit: In fairness, the above comic applies to those on the "right" much more so than those on the "left".
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-18-2020 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One problem with the arguments about trans athletes is that it's often treated as a proxy for other discussions. There is the concern on the left that considering certain measures to be taken in order to ensure a more level playing field will lead to implicitly arguing for increased degradation and marginalization. This can lead to people on the left doubling down on weaker arguments.
    I would say the main objections over trans athletes are just extension of the wider effort by the right to push trans people out of public spaces. Trans in sports, trans in bathrooms, trans in the military; there's no proxy, it's all part of the same discussion. Because, seriously, nobody has ever given a damn about female cycling or whatever. If tons of people are suddenly caring, the problem isn't with the bicycles.

I don't think most moderates blame the majority of Sanders supporters for anything. Any demeaning comments you might hear are likely aimed specifically at that 10-20% that continue to campaign against Biden and seemingly would rather Trump win so that they could 'teach the Dems a lesson'. Extreme is the purity test.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Ultimate Member

I mean, I’m all for more diversity and representation whether it be in comics, tv, or movies. It’s just about fair opportunities and people being able to see someone who looks like themselves in the story.

I don’t know, I am largely of the same opinion as aja_christopher. All to often when people complain about sjw or political correctness it just seems like a deflection from more serious issues.
    Here's a good example of what a lot of people considered too "politically correct" on a videogame forum I visited not too long ago...

...Kamala being featured in an Avengers game.

It had nothing to do with them losing their "freedom of speech" -- it was primarily about their open dislike of a Muslim protagonist.

And likewise their dislike of not being able to be openly anti-Islamic on a moderated forum.

None of them discussed actual gameplay or knew anything about Kamala as a character -- same as when they complain about the comics.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-17-2020 at 09:27 PM.