Page 79 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2969757677787980818283891291795791079 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 75153
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Soooo, Trump went to the Ford plant today and it was a disaster like always, turning it into a campaign rally and not wearing a mask. Here's a breakdown of the events.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Trumpers and Trumptards have every right to die of Coronavirus for their false messiah who boasted of death toll as "badge of honor" but they are not going to drag the country along with them to the hell.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It is worth noting that PwrdOn gave an answer to the question. He can correct me if I'm wrong but he seems to believe that Democrats are pretty much indistinguishable from Republicans on immigration, but trying to keep that quiet so as not to piss off Latinx voters. I'm sure many disagree with his understanding, but we do know where he's coming from.
    PwndOn's wrong, as usual. I've yet to evidence of these all powerful people who want to end borders.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think the best way to respond to a logical fallacy is to point it out, and give the other guy a chance to try again.

I do still maintain that my question was not loaded, as it doesn't require the person answering to assume something that is in contention.

If you answered the question about whether Democrats have expressed a limited principle and what we should infer it they haven't clearly and unambiguously, I missed it. I looked up posts from a few months ago, and didn't find it.
    We shouldn't "infer" anything from your loaded question regarding "limiting principles" -- that's the point.

Both Democrats and Republicans should be judged based on facts -- not "inference" -- and it's plain to see why you have a problem with that logic.

And why you still won't factually address voter suppression, bigotry, and corruption within your party.

You've had dozens of chances to "try again" and all you've done is repeatedly downplay facts and dodge questions you don't want to answer.

Given the fact that you know your party actively attempts to suppress voters like myself and you still support them you should be glad I even made the attempt to try to understand your perspective.

You had the chance to explain why you think that's okay but instead repeatedly downplayed said suppression and bigotry so that's that.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-21-2020 at 05:02 PM.

This virus has really crushed the arguments of people who claim white privilege doesn’t exist. Jeezus, white people are filming themselves being asked to wear a mask at Costco as a way of showing themselves being oppressed. And it’s been brought up many times already but can you imagine the reaction if a bunch of black or brown guys with automatic weapons marched into a government building?!?

The fact that these white nationalists militants are allowed to prance around government facilities with their Call of Duty cosplay garb and have zero repercussions has me worried about what they will do on Election Day. Trump has been sending out dog whistles and blatant lies about voter corruption as a means to cover for his loss. I’m sure all that paranoia will cause these assholes to try and intimidate voters come November. I hope the Democrats are prepared to have security around polling places to protect voters from harassment. I would not be surprised if violence breaks out at polling places around the country.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This virus has really crushed the arguments of people who claim white privilege doesn’t exist. Jeezus, white people are filming themselves being asked to wear a mask at Costco as a way of showing themselves being oppressed. And it’s been brought up many times already but can you imagine the reaction if a bunch of black or brown guys with automatic weapons marched into a government building?!?

The fact that these white nationalists militants are allowed to prance around government facilities with their Call of Duty cosplay garb and have zero repercussions has me worried about what they will do on Election Day. Trump has been sending out dog whistles and blatant lies about voter corruption as a means to cover for his loss. I’m sure all that paranoia will cause these assholes to try and intimidate voters come November. I hope the Democrats are prepared to have security around polling places to protect voters from harassment. I would not be surprised if violence breaks out at polling places around the country.
    All the more reason to have mail-in voting as a viable option against potential madness like that. Of course, Trump wants to prevent it because he knows he has no control over that, thus his wanting to kneecap the USPS, and not just because of his hissy fit with Jeff Bezos.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The problem with the immigration debate specifically though is that too many moderates and center left folks tend to default to "sensible" position of strict border controls and parrot the right wing talking points that loosening restrictions would cause a flood of unwanted refugees to pour in. The reason that people like Mets get away with trolling everyone about this issue is because Democrats are too afraid to take up a strong position on the issue for fear of upsetting swing voters, but at the same time their waffling makes it hard for Latinos to trust them.
    I'm not trolling anyone on immigration.

I genuinely believe that open borders is a bad policy and an unpopular policy (including among Latino voters) but also one that good people can believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    We shouldn't "infer" anything from your loaded question regarding "limiting principles" -- that's the point.

Both Democrats and Republicans should be judged based on facts -- not "inference" -- and it's plain to see why you have a problem with that logic.

And why you still won't factually address voter suppression, bigotry, and corruption within your party.

You've had dozens of chances to "try again" and all you've done is repeatedly downplay facts and dodge questions you don't want to answer.

Given the fact that you know your party actively attempts to suppress voters like myself and you still support them you should be glad I even made the attempt to try to understand your perspective.

You had the chance to explain why you think that's okay but instead repeatedly downplayed said suppression and bigotry so that's that.
    How can there be nothing to infer about how a major party chooses to address or not address a key policy question?

Unless I'm really missing something, and I've spent years asking what that might be, they're making an intentional messaging decision, and that's something worth examining. This wouldn't prevent anyone from criticizing Republicans, although it may explain why some in the party might want the devil they know (the deep flaws of the Trump administration) over the devil they don't (a Democratic party that is getting consistently more progressive and hasn't had control over both the White House and two houses of Congress since the dark days Presidents won the White House by claiming to be against gay marriage.)

I have discussed the other topics. If someone asks a non-loaded question about something, I'll do my best to answer it. As I've done numerous times in the past.

But it does have to be a non-loaded question, one that doesn't have some assumption that an individual might disagree with. For example, suggesting that I think "that's okay" would suggest that I do actually think it's okay, and also agree with your interpretation of it. That may not be the case.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Sure, why not? I'm numb to this level of craziness.

With the US’s Covid-19 death count on course to pass 100,000 and the country's economy cratering, Donald Trump’s supporters received an unusual marketing text from his campaign on Tuesday evening, pushing a new piece of merchandise: a Trump colouring book.

“Pres Trump set aside a LIMITED EDITION TRUMP COLORING BOOK just for you, friend!” read the text. “900 sold in 5 minutes! Don’t wait. Claim now!”

The book, on sale in the Trump campaign’s online store for $20, features 16 single-sided pages and comes with colouring pencils. Above a picture of Mr Trump surging towards the viewer with a clenched fist, his trademark red tie ruffling in the wind, the cover announces its contents with an exclamation mark: “The Official Trump Coloring Book contains 16 artistic depictions of our great leader and is perfect for both adults and youth!”

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Buy one of the few books Trump might actually have read himself!
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Do you feel like people might genuinely be disinterested in voting for Joe Biden come November, thus giving us four more years of Trump? I know Biden is a very unpopular candidate, what with historical baggage and the fact that some people may retroactively be burned out from yet another Bernie Sanders loss that they're willing to endure four more years of Trump policies for another roll of the dice at a Sanders presidency, but do you think the "anti-Trump" vote is strong enough to carry Biden to the White House, or is Trump's reelection safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Buy one of the few books Trump might actually have read himself!
    Question is, was he able to color within the lines?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Do you feel like people might genuinely be disinterested in voting for Joe Biden come November, thus giving us four more years of Trump? I know Biden is a very unpopular candidate, what with historical baggage and the fact that some people may retroactively be burned out from yet another Bernie Sanders loss that they're willing to endure four more years of Trump policies for another roll of the dice at a Sanders presidency, but do you think the "anti-Trump" vote is strong enough to carry Biden to the White House, or is Trump's reelection safe?
    No, in my opinion the percentage of voters disinterested is very small and mostly comprised of people feeling a bot grumpy that their candidate of choice didn't do better. By the fall, the number of Biden supporters will skyrocket. trump and his allies, however, are going to pull out every trick, dirty and otherwise, to undermine the election.

Sanders supporters, not all will come around, however, most of their role models in elected office are already supporting Biden. If they aren't going to vote Democrat, then never were to begin with.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

So, about Tara Reade:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/u...edentials.html

Defense lawyers in California are reviewing criminal cases in which Tara Reade, the former Senate aide who has accused Joseph R. Biden Jr. of sexual assault, served as an expert witness on domestic violence, concerned that she misrepresented her educational credentials in court.

Then known as Alexandra McCabe, Ms. Reade testified as a government witness in Monterey County courts for nearly a decade, describing herself as an expert in the dynamics of domestic violence who had counseled hundreds of victims.

But lawyers who had faced off against her in court began raising questions about the legitimacy of her testimony, and the verdicts that followed, after news reports this week that Antioch University had disputed her claim of receiving a bachelor’s degree from its Seattle campus.
    So apparently she lied about a degree to lie about being an expert witness and those lies contributed to the convictions and now they're liable to get thrown out and Tara Reade possibly being charged with perjury.

Awesome. *Sigh*

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Trump's chances of reelection are more or less safe.

The reason that the loyal Republican base hasn't turned their backs on Trump is because he hasn't turned his back on them either. He may be stupid, dishonest, childish, immature, reckless and impulsive, but he still didn't break his promises including the one to halt immigration and deport immigrants. They supported him because they felt his ideology matched theirs.

George H.W. Bush lost re-election because he broke his promise he made to his supporters. "Read my lips: no new taxes". Many of the loyal Republicans felt he abandoned them so they abandoned him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_m...:_no_new_taxes

I listened to some of Biden's speeches and wasn't impressed with them. So I don't know if Biden will beat Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    Trump's chances of reelection are more or less safe.

The reason that the loyal Republican base hasn't turned their backs on Trump is because he hasn't turned his back on them either. He may be stupid, dishonest, childish, immature, reckless and impulsive, but he still didn't break his promises including the one to halt immigration and deport immigrants. They supported him because they felt his ideology matched theirs.

George H.W. Bush lost re-election because he broke his promise he made to his supporters. "Read my lips: no new taxes". Many of the loyal Republicans felt he abandoned them so they abandoned him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_m...:_no_new_taxes

I listened to some of Biden's speeches and wasn't impressed with them. So I don't know if Biden will beat Trump.
    This entire post is made of yikes.