Page 800 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 30070075079079679779879980080180280380481085090013001800 ... LastLast
Results 11,986 to 12,000 of 75153
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Well he better hope that he doesn't have any pre existing conditions, Miller is a hard one to have any sympathy for.

Being the architect of separating three year old babies form there mothers to act as immigration deterrent is loathsome. 50 years from now it will be another historic stain on America's past taught in history books.
    Miller is 34 so he's not at risk, but COVID does have long term effects and other stuff which people aren't sure of.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    God I wish the Dems had its own version of Fox News where we could peddle populist woke propaganda to the millions backed by high advertising. Instead we have somewhat inert and wishy washy centrist news networks (who admittedly have gotten some of their act together during the Trump years).
    I'm curious about your definition of centrist. Do you mean that MSNBC reflects the median voter? Or is it something else?

I do suspect it would be really hard to do a more progressive populist network. One problem is that woke propaganda is really unpopular. When 81 percent of African Americans want the police presence in their neighborhoods to stay the same or increase, it shows there isn't a large constituency for the most outspoken "defund the police" types.

Granted, getting the most liberal ten percent of Americans is still a potential audience in the tens of millions, though even that gets complicated (you might have people who agree with a network anchor, but think the affect is all wrong.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    His wife had COVID a month ago, and he didn't get it then.

https://www.politico.eu/article/kati...r-coronavirus/

And now he gets it from Trump?

That just reflects bad priorities.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm curious about your definition of centrist. Do you mean that MSNBC reflects the median voter? Or is it something else?
    Undecided and Swing voters probably do see MSNBC and CNN. The kind of channels those kind of voters, as well as Independents, and "apolitical" and so on watch is what I mean by centrist news channels.

Left wing channels or left-of center is stuff like Democracy Now by Amy Goodman which regularly has Chomsky as a speaker. I don't know when was the last time Chomsky was featured on MSNBC or CNN. He's too radical a figure for them even if he's an internationally respected scholar in linguistics and one of the most famous and respected public intellectuals for the last 6 decades or so.

I do suspect it would be really hard to do a more progressive populist network.
    If you get advertising, good anchors, and break quality stories first, maybe it can be done but today's advertisement is too involved with politics and TV advertising isn't doing too well (and that was before the Pandemic).

But anyway, I was exaggerating. I wasn't entirely serious it would be nice if there really was a left-wing Fox News to counter Fox, but in practice, it's important for news media to be unbiased, unfiltered by ideology and guided by truth.

In other words we should have no Fox news, nothing that extreme and norm-breaking.

One problem is that woke propaganda is really unpopular.
    I meant "woke propaganda" as an exaggeration, let's not get hung up defining or nailing it down.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-06-2020 at 06:40 PM.

BANNED

https://www.politico.eu/article/kati...r-coronavirus/

And now he gets it from Trump?

That just reflects bad priorities.
    By god, that's actually a pretty good joke.

Appreciate it greatly.

Leo Gatsby Rex.jpg

Covid is shaping up to be one of those cool edgy villains who you want to stay away from but also love watching them work.
    The past few days, it's been like a microscopic version of the Punisher.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I do suspect it would be really hard to do a more progressive populist network. One problem is that woke propaganda is really unpopular. When 81 percent of African Americans want the police presence in their neighborhoods to stay the same or increase, it shows there isn't a large constituency for the most outspoken "defund the police" types.

Granted, getting the most liberal ten percent of Americans is still a potential audience in the tens of millions, though even that gets complicated (you might have people who agree with a network anchor, but think the affect is all wrong.)
    It would be hard to have a huge progressive populist network because media is profit-based, so you're unlikely to have a huge network that cuts its own neck by aiming to educate people on how a capitalist system screws them over.

And "defund the police" doesn't mean "no more police" but "police reform", which most black people would be in favor of. From your own article:

Fewer than one in five Black Americans feel very confident that the police in their area would treat them with courtesy and respect. While similar to the 24% of Asian Americans saying the same, it is markedly lower than the 40% of Hispanic Americans and the 56% of White Americans who feel this way.
    Imagine a world where like 80-90% of everybody would feel confident their police would treat them with courtesy and respect. Why would that be a bad thing?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

https://www.politico.eu/article/kati...r-coronavirus/.
    And either today or yesterday, that harridan mocked the Harris camp for insisting on plexiglas shields for tomorrow’s debate with Pence. Talk about hypocrisy!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The past few days, it's been like a microscopic version of the Punisher.
    It's still killing 750-1000 innocent people a day, right?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Jesus! That was a sick burn on steroids!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    It's still killing 750-1000 innocent people a day, right?
    That’s why I called Covid a villain. It rains on the just and the unjust alike just like the Old Testament God, who unleashed a plague that killed the children of Egypt to teach the pharaoh a lesson.

That’s why I called Covid a villain. It rains on the just and the unjust alike just like the Old Testament God, who unleashed a plague that killed the children of Egypt to teach the pharaoh a lesson.
    So far it only seems to be slightly drizzling on the unjust. Which I suppose after years of seeing them literally above any consequences whatsoever is at least something.
    Even as much as I like laughing at the misfortunes of this administration I'm just not counting on the plague to have my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    It would be hard to have a huge progressive populist network because media is profit-based, so you're unlikely to have a huge network that cuts its own neck by aiming to educate people on how a capitalist system screws them over.

And "defund the police" doesn't mean "no more police" but "police reform", which most black people would be in favor of. From your own article:

Imagine a world where like 80-90% of everybody would feel confident their police would treat them with courtesy and respect. Why would that be a bad thing?
    The activists will often say that defund the police does mean to remove all funding from the police. But a defund the police movement seems to require a significantly smaller police force, which is contrary to the preferences of an overwhelming majority of African-Americans.

I suspect that a capitalist network could still take advantage of a progressive audience if it was large enough, especially since a big part of progressive values is paying more for "ethical" products and services (fair trade coffee, heritage chicken, renewable energy, etc.) A propaganda network that is the left-wing equivalent of their caricature of Fox would be willing to lie (although I would also argue that capitalism has been the main force lifting billions of people out of extreme poverty) about what's keeping their audience down.

Undecided and Swing voters probably do see MSNBC and CNN. The kind of channels those kind of voters, as well as Independents, and "apolitical" and so on watch is what I mean by centrist news channels.

Left wing channels or left-of center is stuff like Democracy Now by Amy Goodman which regularly has Chomsky as a speaker. I don't know when was the last time Chomsky was featured on MSNBC or CNN. He's too radical a figure for them even if he's an internationally respected scholar in linguistics and one of the most famous and respected public intellectuals for the last 6 decades or so.

If you get advertising, good anchors, and break quality stories first, maybe it can be done but today's advertisement is too involved with politics and TV advertising isn't doing too well (and that was before the Pandemic).

But anyway, I was exaggerating. I wasn't entirely serious it would be nice if there really was a left-wing Fox News to counter Fox, but in practice, it's important for news media to be unbiased, unfiltered by ideology and guided by truth.

In other words we should have no Fox news, nothing that extreme and norm-breaking.

I meant "woke propaganda" as an exaggeration, let's not get hung up defining or nailing it down.
    I'm definitely going to be hung up on nailing down what specifically someone meant. It's revealing.

It seems something with Chomsky as a representative speaker is more far-left than left as you'd be hard pressed to find a quarter of Americans as left-wing on most issues as he is.

MSNBC is certainly left-leaning. CNN is also probably left of center. The broadcast news is probably the TV source with the greatest appeal to median voters.

A network that aims to have "good anchors, and break quality stories first" really isn't going to be a left-wing propaganda network.

I get the argument that the news shouldn't have an ideological bias, although that gets complicated. Plenty of people here will believe that truth has a liberal bias. Many younger progressives don't care for the idea of objectivity in journalism.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/09/87317...-in-journalism

I think the most important thing is to maintain clear neutral standards, to follow a story wherever it leads, to never punish people for doing things that are actually unobjectionable (such as telling the truth) and to apply procedural standards universally. This isn't really left or right, although there are plenty on the left and right who will think that their side deserves exceptions.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 01-28-2024 at 12:17 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Miller is 34 so he's not at risk, but COVID does have long term effects and other stuff which people aren't sure of.
    Well there should be some karma for a guy whose willing to do permanent psychological trauma to a 5 year old girl by ripping her from her mother and putting her in a detention pen, and then shipping her back to Central America without her parents. F'n disgusting.