Page 801 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 30170175179179779879980080180280380480581185190113011801 ... LastLast
Results 12,001 to 12,015 of 75153
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I get the argument that the news shouldn't have an ideological bias, although that gets complicated. Plenty of people here will believe that truth has a liberal bias. Many younger progressives don't care for the idea of objectivity in journalism.
    The reason truth has a liberal bias is because the conservatives have gone so far right of spectrum. The Republican Party wasn’t as extreme as it is now back in the 70s. Roger Ailed and other ghouls started Fox News in the 70s because they didn’t like the neutral objective coverage of Vietnam in the 60s and watergate in the 70s. In that time both Dems and republicans and independents watched the same news. The lesson they learned was get their own propaganda. Hence Fox News.

The fact is present news hellscape has been created by the right to the extent that people buy a middlebrow channel like cnn as having liberal bias or msnbc for that matter when they are doing real reporting and Fox does propaganda

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I suspect that a capitalist network could still take advantage of a progressive audience if it was large enough, especially since a big part of progressive values is paying more for "ethical" products and services (fair trade coffee, heritage chicken, renewable energy, etc.) A propaganda network that is the left-wing equivalent of their caricature of Fox would be willing to lie (although I would also argue that capitalism has been the main force lifting billions of people out of extreme poverty) about what's keeping their audience down.
    It's easy to find a network that's about fair trade, renewable energy, or tearing down George Washington statues and banning "Input movie here" for reasons of political correctness. I find that on CNN all the time.

What's hard to find is a network that will support the repealing of the Taft Heartley Act, cover trade union recruitment, and interview people who want to raise the progressive tax rate back up to 1950/60's levels.

Bottom line, left wing cultural issues don't hurt rich peoples financial interests so the "woke" issues get tons of coverage on CNN, but the economic stuff get swept under the rug, and confined to shows like Democracy Now.

On this date back in 2014, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” had a profile of Lenar Whitney, a former dance instructor who ran for office in Louisiana's 6th Congressional District in 2014, whose political heroes include Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin who once created a Youtube video titled simply "CLIMATE CHANGE IS A HOAX!" and when the media reported her stance on the issue, immediately began declaring herself a victim of the liberal media. She also claimed that nations of the Middle East sell the United States oil to raise money to "blow us off the face of the Earth", and was pulled from the room by her aides during her interview with the Cook Political Report after she started to speculate about President Obama's birthplace only to claim the person conducting it was trying to make a "Palin-style interview".

In 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, as well as 2019, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" featured profiles of U.S. Senator John Boozman of Arkansas, who has floated around Washington since 2002, first in the House, and now, a full seven years in the Senate. Boozman has appeared at events hosted by Brigette Gabriel and ACT, an anti-Muslim hate group in Washington, D.C. is an extreme social conservative, having voted for a proposed Constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriage, voting against any and all legislation towards LGBT rights including ENDA, the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", and once tried to bring a bill to the floor with Ted Cruz that would force the federal government to defer to the states on same-sex marriage. He has bought into several GOP conspiracy theories, from ACORN, to the IRS Scandal, to going as far as saying Planned Parenthood has had "a role in harvesting organs from unborn babies." Boozman repeatedly has voted against equal pay for women, against the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act, and to restrict reproductive rights whenever possible. He voted against the renewal of CHIP, against Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform, against raising the debt ceiling, and against the Zadroga Bill. He's a ridiculously radical opponent of gun control, arguing that assault weapon bans are unnecessary because they are too “big and bulky” to be used in criminal acts, participated in a Republican filibuster of the Toomey-Manchin Firearms Background Check Act, and spoke out against banning armor-piercing ammunition, feeling that no ammunition can be banned without violating the Constitution. He's on more than one occasion, voted to protect the right to bear arms of people who end up on the "no-fly list", feeling that while we don't trust them to even get on an airplane, suspected terrorists should be allowed to stockpile guns and ammo.

Boozman won re-election in 2016 with 60% of the vote, so he won't face election again until 2022. His return to the Senate has seen him approve every nominee for Donald Trump's "Cabinet of Horrors". That is EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Oh, and he voted to put Neil Gorsuch and accused sexual predator Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court. His voting record also shows that he voted for both of the Senate's attempts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act that would have left about 23-24 million people without health insurance, and in July, Boozman even suggested that he was willing to repeal without a replacement, if that's what it took. Never mind that it would mean tens of thousands more Americans would die ANNUALLY.

That's probably the reason while he's gone the coward's route, and avoiding hosting his town halls in person, most of whom he's shocked... SHOCKED to learn don't actually support Donald Trump's policies once they realize they impact themselves negatively, too. You can't accuse Sen. Boozman of being heartless, though, because he didn't host any town halls during the August Congressional recess because he was having follow-up surgery on a tear in his aorta that hospitalized him in 2014. He returned to work in the Senate in 2017 without much further incident.

But what has us a but annoyed at the moment, was that Sen. Boozman was one of the few Republicans to make a statement after the whistle-blower scandal hit and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced House Democrats were launching an impeachment inquiry based on Donald Trump’s decision to ask the Ukrainian president to interfere on his behalf in the 2020 elections. Boozman’s take is… this is just “blatantly partisan tactics”.

Psst… hey ***hole? The point of the inquiry is to gather facts. And the more the facts come out, the more it looks like you’re propping up a lawless fascist douche-canoe.

Which, it never was in question that the facts don’t matter to John Boozman. He voted to disallow witnesses at the impeachment trial, thus making it a “trial”, and then he voted to acquit him. Boozman is currently chomping at the bit to prove he’s a hypocrite and try to squeeze an election year Supreme Court Justice vote for Amy Coney Barrett in only four years after shafting Merrick Garland.

Just a reminder to the people of Arkansas… this f***er is up for re-election in 2022, so if you’d like to elect someone who actually deigns to speak to any of you, that’s going to be the time to hold him accountable.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 10-06-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Coronavirus has now killed more Americans than the soldiers who lost their lives in World War 1, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan combined.
    (https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus...iDUUoXbFYzF4eU)

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has now claimed more American lives than the total number of U.S. soldiers killed during historic conflicts in Vietnam, Korean, Iraq, Afghanistan and World War I.

While the aforementioned conflicts killed 155,072 soldiers, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the U.S. coronavirus epidemic has claimed over 205,600 as of October 5, 2020, according to Johns Hopkins University. In fact, the number of U.S. COVID-19 deaths surpassed 155,000 in late July, according to Johns Hopkins.

The VA states that 4,431 American soldiers died in the Iraq invasion from 2003 to 2010, 2,445 American soldiers died in Afghanistan skirmishes from 2001 onward, 58,220 American soldiers died in the Vietnam conflict from 1964 to 1975, 36,574 American soldiers died in the Korean conflict from 1950 to 1953 and 53,402 Americans died in World War I from 1917 to 1918.

Since the end of March, COVID-19 has killed an average of 7,043 Americans each week.
    7,000 Americans a week. Bin Laden killed 3000 and the US government started 2 wars to hunt down a dude living in a mansion in Pakistan. Jim Jones killed 918 people.

Donald Trump's administration by his negligence, his cruelty and mendacity kills more than double that Bin Laden did, 7 times Jim Jones did, every week.

Mighty Member

How Democrats can flip the senate.

Ah politics, I'm good for now, back to soccer.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

McSally is going completely nuts.

McSally repeatedly brings up "extreme left wing" group that Kelly was part of, but never says the name. Pressed by moderator to specify, she doesn't say

Kelly is asked to answer. The group is Giffords, the gun control group he & wife Gabby started

Meanwhile, the House passed a resolution to condemn QANON. Everyone but 17 Republicans and Justin Amish voted yay.

The House passed a bipartisan resolution condemning the sprawling QAnon conspiracy theory, though 17 Republican lawmakers voted against the measure in the 371-18 vote.

The GOP lawmakers voting "no" were Reps. Jodey Arrington (Texas), Brian Babin (Texas), Rob Bishop (Utah), Mo Brooks (Ala.), Michael Burgess (Texas), Buddy Carter (Ga.), Warren Davidson (Ohio), Jeff Duncan (S.C.), Drew Ferguson (Ga.), Bill Flores (Texas), Paul Gosar (Ariz.), Steve King (Iowa), Mike Kelly (Pa.), Ralph Norman (S.C.), Scott Perry (Pa.), Thomas Tiffany (Wis.) and Daniel Webster (Fla.).
    I recognize a few names, including Tom Tiffany, who took over representing my district after Sean Duffy left. So, ya know WBE, this means you gotta add him to the pile.

Also, I noticed one guy voted present on it. Guess who WBE? Why, its Andy Harris! You remember that guy, right? Guess he doesn't have an opinion on QANON I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    It's easy to find a network that's about fair trade, renewable energy, or tearing down George Washington statues and banning "Input movie here" for reasons of political correctness. I find that on CNN all the time.

What's hard to find is a network that will support the repealing of the Taft Heartley Act, cover trade union recruitment, and interview people who want to raise the progressive tax rate back up to 1950/60's levels.

Bottom line, left wing cultural issues don't hurt rich peoples financial interests so the "woke" issues get tons of coverage on CNN, but the economic stuff get swept under the rug, and confined to shows like Democracy Now.
    Oh brother.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

There's more and more chatter about Trump being roided up and making crazy policy flip flops via all cap Twitter. The market crashed and he's extorting the people for votes by attempting to stop any Covid aid packages until after the election. Is it time to invoke that 25th amendment yet??? *slaps head* what am I thinking. The GOP will go off a cliff like lemmings. Trump has destroyed the Republican party or perhaps it's more of a murder and suicide at the same time. Let's just hope he doesn't take down the whole country in the process.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Oh brother.
    Oh brother what, it's true. When was the last time you heard CNN hosts advocate for the removal of the Taft Heartley Act, or talk about how they can raise union representation across the country for workers rights and shorter work days.

All they talk about is the cultural fluff, that's easy to pass in legislation because it doesn't hurt there pocket books.

Second thought, don't answer me, my days of week long political arguments are done, (I spent years on political forum doing that) I just want to jump in and jump out on this thread, but if fighting for workers rights and union representation isn't your top priority, then your not really a lefty as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by The no face guy; 10-06-2020 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    There's more and more chatter about Trump being roided up and making crazy policy flip flops via all cap Twitter. The market crashed and he's extorting the people for votes by attempting to stop any Covid aid packages until after the election. Is it time to invoke that 25th amendment yet??? *slaps head* what am I thinking. The GOP will go off a cliff like lemmings. Trump has destroyed the Republican party or perhaps it's more of a murder and suicide at the same time. Let's just hope he doesn't take down the whole country in the process.
    Trump turns everything he touches into ****.

I mean...seriously! Everything. His businesses, his marriages, his kids, and now, the rest of us. America was always kind of a polished turd, what with generational chattel slavery, the Puritan death cult that started the whole ‘Europeans come to the New Land and murder the natives in Jesus’ name’ trend that continued for...oh...centuries, ALL THOSE BROKEN TREATIES, the fact women couldn’t get their own bank accounts or credit cards well into the second half of the last century - less than 100 years! - and could only vote for a few decades before that, the civil rights struggle, Vietnam, the Cold War, Reaganomics, ‘Greed is Good!’, the Satanic Panic, censorship of artists, the hippies becoming yuppies and selling the rest of us to the highest bidder, ‘Just say no!’

And so on.

Sure, we’ve been trying to present and build this bright, sunny, ‘shining city on a hill’/thousand points of light’/‘Poppy got me this job, and it’s HAAAAAARD’ image...this strong, golden image of ourselves, and we have made at LEAST some token efforts to resolve some of the underlying issues The nation needs to address if we’re to ever rise to the height of our aspirations (stymied at every turn by religious zealots who then cry persecution when you try to explain that their religious values have zero bearing on anyone who didn’t choose to live by the same faith), but everyone could smell it, y’know?

0DAD320A-8B08-4387-8B2F-960D605DC425.jpg

And then Trump got handed the presidency and no one did a damn thing that mattered about it - despite this being the fourth time in recent memory that a Republican lost the popular election, but got handed the presidency and crapped the communal bed in new and exciting ways ANYWAY - and he tore away and pocketed the gold leaf, the rhinestones, the stuff that showed we were TRYING to change ourselves into something presentable. He stole everything of value that he could, and wants more time to steal more, because he thinks that he who dies with the most toys wins, and is oblivious to the reality that he can’t take ANY of his ill gotten gains with him. He has trashed and burned EVERYTHING and EVERYONE he touches, but has been CALLED a successful businessman for so long - because he was good at playing the complacent media - that enough people bought the snake oil pitch for the right to push him into position to enact their endgame.

Now that, thanks to him, the core corruption that lies at the heart of the USA is laid bare, exposed for all the world to see...I hope we can come back from it. But I’m not counting on anything. I’m too busy preparing for Betty White‘s increasingly inevitable passing, or the polar ice caps melting suddenly, or...hell, Nibiru or Galactus or Emperor-for-Life Trump and his heir apparent, Don ‘the fiend’ Jr....I dunno, there just feels like there’s gonna be some worse, ultimate horror before the year is out.

2020 is building to something...

Anyways, it’s gonna be hard. Even if Biden wins - which I hope he does, though, of course, that assumes that the Right doesn’t pull some Hail Mary nonsense shenanigans to get their guy the win, by any means and with the full support of their willfully dull constituents...again...). - it’s gonna be hard to work through all the gross, awful horribleness this administration has exposed.

And keeps on exposing.

No matter how many times we beg him to stop...
    Last edited by zinderel; 10-06-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The reason truth has a liberal bias is because the conservatives have gone so far right of spectrum. The Republican Party wasn’t as extreme as it is now back in the 70s. Roger Ailed and other ghouls started Fox News in the 70s because they didn’t like the neutral objective coverage of Vietnam in the 60s and watergate in the 70s. In that time both Dems and republicans and independents watched the same news. The lesson they learned was get their own propaganda. Hence Fox News.

The fact is present news hellscape has been created by the right to the extent that people buy a middlebrow channel like cnn as having liberal bias or msnbc for that matter when they are doing real reporting and Fox does propaganda
    I think some people think that objectivity means you can't have an opinion, or you have to keep whatever opinion you have to yourself. No, it just means that you have to present both sides of an issue fairly. That doesn't mean presenting each side without comment. It means presenting each side as it truly is, but if one side is basing their argument on facts and the other side is basing their argument on bullshit, it is not a violation of objectivity to point out the bullshit.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Oh brother what, it's true. When was the last time you heard CNN hosts advocate for the removal of the Taft Heartley Act, or talk about how they can raise union representation across the country for workers rights and shorter work days.

All they talk about is the cultural fluff, that's easy to pass in legislation because it doesn't hurt there pocket books.

Second thought, don't answer me, my days of week long political arguments are done, (I spent years on political forum doing that) I just want to jump in and jump out on this thread, but if fighting for workers rights and union representation isn't your top priority, then your not really a lefty as far as I'm concerned.
    I was oh-brothering at your class reductionism and kvetching about 'woke' again.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    People on Twitter are saying this is Trump's "scorched earth" phase, he knows he's down in the polls, down badly in some states, and is likely to lose, so he's putting everything to the torch and burning the country down to the ground out of sheer vindictiveness. Much worse is sure to come after he loses because of the two month gap between the election and inauguration day, god only know what Trump will do between November and January out of spite to screw everyone over. Meanwhile, don't look to the GOP to intervene, Moscow Mitch and company are focused solely on putting Amy Coney Barrett on the bench, to hell with Americans dying and suffering from the virus. If Barrett had so much as a shred of decency, seeing what's going on, she'd remove her name from consideration and tell Republicans to focus on helping the country, but, I suspect she doesn't give a **** about the people either, she's hot to join SCOTUS so she can kill Roe v. Wade and give evangelicals a leg up in our government.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I think some people think that objectivity means you can't have an opinion, or you have to keep whatever opinion you have to yourself. No, it just means that you have to present both sides of an issue fairly. That doesn't mean presenting each side without comment. It means presenting each side as it truly is, but if one side is basing their argument on facts and the other side is basing their argument on bullshit, it is not a violation of objectivity to point out the bullshit.
    This basically.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    McSally also, for no reason, blurted out Congresswoman Ilhan Omar's name eight times during her debate with Mark Kelly. EIGHT.

Why? Mark Kelly has virtually no association with her, other than they're both in the same party. What was she so determined to prove, there, other than that she's an Islamophobic bigot?

Meanwhile, the House passed a resolution to condemn QANON. Everyone but 17 Republicans and Justin Amish voted yay.

I recognize a few names, including Tom Tiffany, who took over representing my district after Sean Duffy left. So, ya know WBE, this means you gotta add him to the pile.

Also, I noticed one guy voted present on it. Guess who WBE? Why, its Andy Harris! You remember that guy, right? Guess he doesn't have an opinion on QANON I suppose.
    Andy Harris' Nazi-adjacent dad must be real proud.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.