Page 9 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319591095091009 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I read it as implying I am a communist. If that’s not your intent, then I’ll accept that. But you were responding to someone here who was saying “Those who demand all or nothing usually get nothing.” And that I just can’t agree with.

Even politicians of the conservative party in my country support universal health care. It’s not an extreme position.

USA really needs preferential voting.
    You dont seem to understand how politics works then. Its all about compromise. You rarely get all unless scandal, force or utter political destruction/major loss are on the table.

I read it as implying I am a communist. If that’s not your intent, then I’ll accept that. But you were responding to someone here who was saying “Those who demand all or nothing usually get nothing.” And that I just can’t agree with.

Even politicians of the conservative party in my country support universal health care. It’s not an extreme position.

How would preferential voting in USA deliver universal health care there?

If pragmatically you’re left with choice of substantially improving USA healthcare coverage but not delivering universal health care...who does it help to reject the substantial improvement?

In my own country (UK) there’s been a woeful deficiency in end of life care for decades...basically many people lose their hard earned savings towards the end of their life because they need extensive nursing home care.

A few elections ago one of the two main parties came up with an insurance scheme type arrangement to allow people to pay a one-off premium to insure against end of life care.

It wasn’t perfect.. the other party attacked it..and the scheme was quietly shelved.

And replaced with??

It was replaced with nothing! And 10 years later, still nothing done.

Yes the scheme wasn’t perfect..but it would have been a really substantial improvement.

Sometimes, you need pragmatism, sometimes idealism.

I’m pretty sure if I was in USA I’d really welcome any scheme that made healthcare more affordable for more people, even if it was well short of universal provision...there really doesn’t seem to be a viable route to achieving that for a long time to come.

Astonishing Member

My mistake, I was zeroing in on the last comment - should have replied to the rest of the post for the full context. I don't think you're a Communist. I disagree with you on compromise, however.

Not every country is like that, in America the conservatives don't believe in health care. It is a very extreme position here, that's why we don't have it.

Agreed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    You dont seem to understand how politics works then. Its all about compromise. You rarely get all unless scandal, force or utter political destruction/major loss are on the table.
    No, I do. But if your starting point is further fixed to a more progressive position then anytime that you do need to compromise you’ll have to go much less when you do negotiate. If Obama had been a believer in universal health care (as an example - he’s a centrist so of course not) then do you think America would have ended up with the milquetoast healthcare that is Obamacare? Even the darling of the progressive, Elizabeth Warren, didn’t even believe in universal health care.

Take the Republicans. They’ve moved so far to the right that anytime they have to negotiate they only have to give up the tiniest bit of ground, because they know they have the Democrats over a barrel. Imagine if the Democrats win both houses and the White House - what would they have to give up to get something very, very close to universal HC? Not much - just a few scraps to a few Blue Dogs.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It's easy for the Outlaw Jersey Whale to dismissively say people would have to get used to coronavirus deaths, he's probably secluded in his home like a hermit, and since he's a former politician, he no doubt has a fat pension and can afford to stay shacked up for as long as he wants. Yeah, Tami, you're lucky Christie is no longer governor, COVID-19 deaths in your state might be higher than New York City if he was.

====================

White House Blocks Coronavirus Task Force Members From Testifying To Congress

The Trump administration said in a memo it was “reasonable” to expect that top officials were busy during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Code for "We don't want them saying stuff in front of Congress that would make us look bad". That has Trump written all over it.

GOP Lawmaker Opposes Coronavirus Face Masks Because They Cover ‘The Image Of God’

Nino Vitale says he won’t wear a mask, and doesn’t want others to wear one either, because the face is the “image and likeness of God.” Oh, WBEEEEEEEE....!

China Facing Rising Global Backlash Akin To Tiananmen Square, Internal Report Warns

Beijing faces a wave of anti-China sentiment led by the United States in the aftermath of the coronavirus pandemic. GOOD! China needs to feel the heat for their actions regarding the outbreak.

The Choice For These Workers: Return To Their Jobs Amid A Pandemic Or Lose Them

As businesses ramp back up, more and more people will face a dilemma like the one facing Carvana employees. Work or die. Hell of a choice.

Steve Mnuchin Urges Americans To Live Dangerously And Travel The Country

However, the CDC says Americans should stay home to protect their health. You can urge all you want, Steve-O, if people are too scared to "live dangerously", not while there's no vaccine for coronavirus, THEY. WON'T. Plain and fucking simple.

‘Mourning In America’: Trump Lashed For Weaker, Sicker, Poorer U.S. In GOP Group’s Ad

The Lincoln Project’s spot evokes the Great Depression amid mounting COVID-19 death tolls and an imploding economy.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    How would preferential voting in USA deliver universal health care there?

If pragmatically you’re left with choice of substantially improving USA healthcare coverage but not delivering universal health care...who does it help to reject the substantial improvement?

In my own country (UK) there’s been a woeful deficiency in end of life care for decades...basically many people lose their hard earned savings towards the end of their life because they need extensive nursing home care.

A few elections ago one of the two main parties came up with an insurance scheme type arrangement to allow people to pay a one-off premium to insure against end of life care.

It wasn’t perfect.. the other party attacked it..and the scheme was quietly shelved.

And replaced with??

It was replaced with nothing! And 10 years later, still nothing done.

Yes the scheme wasn’t perfect..but it would have been a really substantial improvement.

Sometimes, you need pragmatism, sometimes idealism.

I’m pretty sure if I was in USA I’d really welcome any scheme that made healthcare more affordable for more people, even if it was well short of universal provision...there really doesn’t seem to be a viable route to achieving that for a long time to come.
    So, this end of life scheme wasn't perfect, and it still got defeated by opposing side? Quietly shelved? How hard did the proposing party fight for it? Where was their pragmatism? Seems like they just gave up because it was too hard.

Preferential voting helps the voters more accurately express themselves. There can be third-part candidates. And fourth and fifth and sixth. You can have the option to vote for a real progressive candidate, and not have this dilemma of voting for the lesser of two evils. A vote could go like this:

1: Progressive candidate
    2: Biden
    3: Trump

The progressive candidate likely gets the least votes, so the vote transfers to the next preference - Biden. It allows people to show what they really want whilst also not letting the really bad candidate win. We have it in Australia. More and more people are voting first preference for progressive parties AND far-right parties to show what they really want. But the result is always going to be between the mainstream centre-left and centre-right parties.

In America you would avoid the situation of, let's say, Sanders' supporters not voting or voting for a dumb third party candidate, like Jill Stein. Those votes are wasted, completely. Not in a preferential system. It would let the country and the Democrats know just how many people want a real progressive candidate and universal health care whilst not risking another 4 years to a madman.

Also, what if *hypothetically* Biden is found to have raped Reade? Your choice is literally between two rapists. A rapist would be the leader of the free world. Hmm...

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

The thing is most people would like universal health care and insurance, but there's a lot of questions to ask and get answers to.

1. This would have to be paid for by taxes. Issue, those in a higher tax rate don't like paying more save those that feel they should. So a lot of taxes fall on the middle and lower income classes.

2. Coverage for larger families especially those that are not US citizens yet but have family that were born in the states.

3. Cost of specialized surgery and services. As people have noted there are drawbacks to the programs in various countries that have this, especially for older people who need more specific surgery. Who pays for that?

4. Are there allowances for the things like additional insurance for special needs cases, or people that need home care?

List can go on. It took years for Canada to get their program running as well as it is, and they are having their own issues up there too. Also look at the UK Tories and how they treat the idea of the NHS at times.

I know that in Australia theres some issues that have cropped up recently regarding the wild fires, but I dont know enough about the history of Australia to reference it.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So, this end of life scheme wasn't perfect, and it still got defeated by opposing side? Quietly shelved? How hard did the proposing party fight for it? Where was their pragmatism? Seems like they just gave up because it was too hard.

Preferential voting helps the voters more accurately express themselves. There can be third-part candidates. And fourth and fifth and sixth. You can have the option to vote for a real progressive candidate, and not have this dilemma of voting for the lesser of two evils. A vote could go like this:

1: Progressive candidate
    2: Biden
    3: Trump

The progressive candidate likely gets the least votes, so the vote transfers to the next preference - Biden. It allows people to show what they really want whilst also not letting the really bad candidate win. We have it in Australia. More and more people are voting first preference for progressive parties AND far-right parties to show what they really want. But the result is always going to be between the mainstream centre-left and centre-right parties.

In America you would avoid the situation of, let's say, Sanders' supporters not voting or voting for a dumb third party candidate, like Jill Stein. Those votes are wasted, completely. Not in a preferential system. It would let the country and the Democrats know just how many people want a real progressive candidate and universal health care whilst not risking another 4 years to a madman.

Also, what if *hypothetically* Biden is found to have raped Reade? Your choice is literally between two rapists. A rapist would be the leader of the free world. Hmm...
    You would still have the issue of non voters, or you go the way of Japan with too many parties and one big one that eats all the others because the LDP never allows forbade break off its all sub groups.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    You would still have the issue of non voters, or you go the way of Japan with too many parties and one big one that eats all the others because the LDP never allows forbade break off its all sub groups.
    Compulsory voting. If democracy is so important that you are compelled to send your sons and daughters off to blow up other countries then the least you could do is make Americans vote.

I’ll have to get back to you about Japan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    The thing is most people would like universal health care and insurance, but there's a lot of questions to ask and get answers to.

1. This would have to be paid for by taxes. Issue, those in a higher tax rate don't like paying more save those that feel they should. So a lot of taxes fall on the middle and lower income classes.

2. Coverage for larger families especially those that are not US citizens yet but have family that were born in the states.

3. Cost of specialized surgery and services. As people have noted there are drawbacks to the programs in various countries that have this, especially for older people who need more specific surgery. Who pays for that?

4. Are there allowances for the things like additional insurance for special needs cases, or people that need home care?

List can go on. It took years for Canada to get their program running as well as it is, and they are having their own issues up there too. Also look at the UK Tories and how they treat the idea of the NHS at times.

I know that in Australia theres some issues that have cropped up recently regarding the wild fires, but I dont know enough about the history of Australia to reference it.
    1. There are more working class and middle class people than rich people. They can control their destiny if they choose to. Also, with universal health care paid for by taxes that’s less money or no money people have to pay for insurance.

2. It’s universal. Universal means everyone. It works here for citizens and visa holders. Im going to plead the fifth on immigration issues because I am very ignorant of all that.

3. Again, universal means everyone - doesn’t matter if they are old. Ageism is no excuse to deny someone treatment.

4. We have a private section of the system here which people can pay more for to access. Honestly I’d do away with that and raise taxes a little so everyone can get what they need. Nobody choose their disabilities.

We also have a publicly funded insurance scheme for people with disabilities to access services. As I’ve before, people are willing to pay taxes to protect people’s lives via a military. Why are hospitals and doctors different?

C’mon folks, I convinced Mets about the virtue of universal health care. I shouldn’t have to convince all you others!

On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, as well as 2019, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of Christy Perry, a Republican member of the Idaho House of Representatives who we called out for blocking a bill that would reform state laws regarding “faith healing” as a practice used in households as opposed to, y’know, medicine after a disproportionately high number of children had died in her district due to easily preventable diseases. Perry then tried reframing the arguments to curtail faith healing as a justification for letting children die, and not calling it negligence or child abuse as “attacks on religion”, adding, “They are comforted by the fact that they know their child is in heaven. If I want to let my child be with God, why is that wrong?” Perry’s interest in matters of faith has also led her to vote for resolutions in the Idaho state legislature to petition Congress to allow businesses to refuse to cover contraceptives in insurance plans of their employees based on their “personal faith”, trying to pass measures to allow the Bible to be taught in schools, and a call for Congress to impeach any Supreme Court Justice who would dare vote in favor of same sex marriage. Christy Perry is also a gun shop owner, which you better believe that she votes for every pro-gun bill that crosses her path, since she has a personal interest to keep lining her pockets by doing so, including an attempt to nullify federal firearm laws. We've already established Christy Perry's fanatical and twisted view of "Christian values", so brace yourselves... she was caught having an affair with GOP State Senator Jim Guthrie in the fall of 2016, admitting it on November 1st. And because this was revealed only a week before the election... Christy Perry was still easily re-elected, even though both her and Guthrie were still in the process of being investigated for ethics violations for charging their stays in Boise hotel rooms to bump uglies to Idaho taxpayers. After Perry endured multiple scandals, including an affair, and the ethics charges that stemmed from it… she’s still, in the end, a self-important fanatic. And that’s likely why she filed to run for United States Congress in 2018, to try and replace Raul Labrador as the U.S. House Representative from Idaho’s 1st Congressional District. Compared to the other candidates in the field, Perry was by far the most deranged, and finished a distant fourth in the GOP Primary behind Russ Fulcher. As she is currently out of office, we’ll set aside her profile and take a look at another kooky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 863-45, since this was established in July 2014.)

Monica Youngblood

Welcome to what is the 863rd original profile here at “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day”, where we’ll be discussing Monica Youngblood, a former member of the New Mexico House of Representatives from District 68 from 2013-2018. After winning office in 2012, Youngblood was re-elected in 2014 and 2016 on the benefit of running unopposed. It isn’t her voting record that we’re giving her a mention for, but we’ll note she did support a ban on abortion at 20 weeks, and she opposed minimum wage increases and opposed a ban on animal fighting so that people could continue to have the “freedom” to kill a coyote in front of an audience.

However, Youngblood’s streak of getting to run for re-election unopposed changed in 2018, however, and she was bounced from office. That might have had something to do with the fact that she was convicted of aggravated DWI only weeks before the election. Also, the dashcam video was obtained by the media, and on it, a slurring Youngblood tries to convince the arresting officer to let her go because she claimed as a legislator, she had pushed for legislation to assist law enforcement… which isn’t how the law is supposed to apply.

She insisted she wasn’t drinking, which would have been proven if, y’know, she had agreed to submit to a breathalyzer test. She refused to resign, insisted she hadn’t had any alcohol, and tried to get re-elected… and got booted from office. Given how entitled she felt her position made her, it’s probably best if she didn’t have it.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

1. There are more working class and middle class people than rich people. They can control their destiny if they choose to. Also, with universal health care paid for by taxes that’s less money or no money people have to pay for insurance.

2. It’s universal. Universal means everyone. It works here for citizens and visa holders. Im going to plead the fifth on immigration issues because I am very ignorant of all that.

3. Again, universal means everyone - doesn’t matter if they are old. Ageism is no excuse to deny someone treatment.

4. We have a private section of the system here which people can pay more for to access. Honestly I’d do away with that and raise taxes a little so everyone can get what they need. Nobody choose their disabilities.

We also have a publicly funded insurance scheme for people with disabilities to access services. As I’ve before, people are willing to pay taxes to protect people’s lives via a military. Why are hospitals and doctors different?

C’mon folks, I convinced Mets about the virtue of universal health care. I shouldn’t have to convince all you others!
    Its not about convincing, its about the realities of America. Hell I'm British and even I can see Universal Healthcare will be a difficult sell.

The health system is honestly a major factor that would put me off ever moving to the States to live and work. Well, that and the completely laissez-faire attitude to gun safety. It’d be like moving to a Third World country, except probably getting cancer in the Third World country wouldn’t bankrupt your entire family.

In the abstract, the idea of spending my days sitting on a Louisiana swamp shack porch rocking chair cradling a shotgun appeals to me in a perverse way.

BANNED

We wouldn’t have got Breaking Bad if there was universal health care though. Fair trade?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

We wouldn’t have got Breaking Bad if there was universal health care though. Fair trade?
    Can't deny that. The astronomically high cost of health care for Walter White's cancer forced him into becoming a meth dealer to pay the bills.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!