Page 905 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 405805855895901902903904905906907908909915955100514051905 ... LastLast
Results 13,561 to 13,575 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    This article points to something interesting that is pertinent to our conversation:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/215...mpression=true

The theory: Trump and his campaign are so enmeshed in online conspiracy and conservative media culture it's now impossible for them to communicate with people outside that bubble. Their talking points only make sense if you are a dedicated consumer of conservative media, and to the other 60% of people it just sounds like nonsense (which, if I may be so bold, it is).
    It's a sad day in America when moderation and centrism look like extremely liberal platforms to those in power.

If you need a telescope to see the middle ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Fantastic Member

This article points to something interesting that is pertinent to our conversation:

The theory: Trump and his campaign are so enmeshed in online conspiracy and conservative media culture it's now impossible for them to communicate with people outside that bubble. Their talking points only make sense if you are a dedicated consumer of conservative media, and to the other 60% of people it just sounds like nonsense (which, if I may be so bold, it is).
    Sounds about right, he only watches Fox News, and is obsessed with Twitter. I spent a while on there myself, it did not really do wonders for my mental health. It also explains why Twitter Trump is in charge, he's spent so long on there his already natural aggression has taken off.

Also the 60 minutes thing granted him no help.

He was who I g about why the media is hard on him.

“ Look you spoiled rich baby man! Your the president of the god damned USA! Your met to be tough because your in charge! It was under your watch that all this shot happened led. Your not being picked on. It’s not grade school or the inter net. It’s reality. Your job is to be a leader. Your not showing leadership! Your being a who runs bitch!”

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    There was the Utah candidate who did that ad with his opponent to show they could work together.
    Utah is a special case with the state being the center for the Mormon religion. While as solidly red as anyplace outside of the Confederacy, Trump's strain of "own the libs" far right politics has always unnerved them. Not enough to put a Democrat in office, but they still like to think of themselves as what Dubya referred to as "Passionate Conservatives."
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Also the 60 minutes thing granted him no help.

He was who I g about why the media is hard on him.

“ Look you spoiled rich baby man! Your the president of the god damned USA! Your met to be tough because your in charge! It was under your watch that all this shot happened led. Your not being picked on. It’s not grade school or the inter net. It’s reality. Your job is to be a leader. Your not showing leadership! Your being a who runs bitch!”
    It shows the level hes coddled. He goes on Fox News shows they wont challenge him on the conspiracy theories they just roll with it. Like they let Giuliani run off on those shows and be nuts. So outside that Hannity, Tucker, Laura Ingham bubble a real journalist is going to say wait no there is no evidence of that.

His surrounded by people that tell him he is doing great. And "winning". This release makes him look like a whiny baby. He even started off whiny and petulant like he did t want to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Utah is a special case with the state being the center for the Mormon religion. While as solidly red as anyplace outside of the Confederacy, Trump's strain of "own the libs" far right politics has always unnerved them. Not enough to put a Democrat in office, but they still like to think of themselves as what Dubya referred to as "Passionate Conservatives."
    By the by, Trump has had 15-20% drop in support from Mormons from four years ago, and his campaign only started to realize two weeks ago that part of the reason he was falling behind so far in Arizona was that. He didn't lose enough support in Utah to lose the state, but Arizona has the 2nd largest population of Mormons. It also has put a significant dent in his numbers in other states, including Texas.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

So for the foreseeable future are we just doomed to a world where 40% of US citizens live in this strange conservative reality where facts don’t matter? It’s so horrible how Fox News and right wing social media have made it so Americans live in two different worlds.

Is there any kind of solution? Or is it just reliant on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube to police themselves?

More good stuff from very fine people.

The Biden campaign video was published on YouTube but has now been taken down, as The New York Times and the Detroit Metro Times report. Bill Russo, a spokesman for the Biden campaign, told The Times that the video was removed because Malcoun and his family were “doxxed, harassed, and threatened after the Trump campaign has sought to smear [Malcoun].”

As Forbes notes, many Trump supporters took exception to the ad.
    Last edited by Joker; 10-22-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So for the foreseeable future are we just doomed to a world where 40% of US citizens live in this strange conservative reality where facts don’t matter? It’s so horrible how Fox News and right wing social media have made it so Americans live in two different worlds.

Is there any kind of solution? Or is it just reliant on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube to police themselves?
    Of course, for starters improve on education in order to help expand the minds of their children and to encourage the development of support groups to help ease them out of toxic environments.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    By the by, Trump has had 15-20% drop in support from Mormons from four years ago, and his campaign only started to realize two weeks ago that part of the reason he was falling behind so far in Arizona was that. He didn't lose enough support in Utah to lose the state, but Arizona has the 2nd largest population of Mormons. It also has put a significant dent in his numbers in other states, including Texas.
    In other words Mormons are among the sanest members of the Republicans and that's costing them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    In other words Mormons are among the sanest members of the Republicans and that's costing them.
    I mean, relatively speaking? I think their faith at least cannot abide the, "We're going to have candidates proud to be ***holes as an ideology" strategy that is the current GOP status quo.

At least Mitt Romney tries to put a front up that he's a nice guy, rather than revel in being a f***er like Trump. I'll credit him for trying to maintain an illusion of decency.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 10-22-2020 at 03:25 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    These are the rules as presently set up, by your f*^king Party, that they then violates. Your defense of this power grab is so telling.

They are not socks lost in the laundry, they are children for whom the Trump Administration did NOTHING to ensure they might get reunited with their parents. They lost or never filed any paper work on them, and when a Federal Judge ordered them to reunite these children, they refused to help. Their stated order was to separate the children "NO MATTER HOW YOUNG"! You are nonchalant about babies being ripped from their mothers and then keeping the children as you send the parents away without them, forcing them to go without their children. How are you not alarmed and angered by this?
    "Hard to get hold of" give me a break, that is such a week response to toddlers being with out their parents for years.

It is clear you don't like Trump personally, but it doesn't look like you have any problem with his cruel and inhuman policies. You fit with the modern Republicans just fine.
    On the topic of separated migrant children, it seems there are more complaints than policy alternatives. I would be alarmed and angered if someone proposed a solution to the problem that didn't compromise on the border.

As for Lindsey Graham's decision as chairman of the judiciary committee, I do think that giving Democrats to power to deny cloture votes in committee hearings would be likely to be abused by the Republicans in a few months. Whatever is allowed to one party has to be allowed to another.

Likewise, Democrats will presumably get to use the tools McConnell used when they have control of the Senate.

It's an interesting idea. It's hardly exclusive to Trump, given how many other politicians get into arguments about ideas that are really unpopular, but excite the twitter left.

A key distinction is that Democrats were smart enough to nominate someone who was more popular with other segments of the population.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

At this point in the proceedings, I’m convinced the only people who vote for Trump are racists, sadists or idiots.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

It seems you're thinking of a slightly different story.

The parents of 545 migrant children are hard to get a hold of, although the majority are believed to have returned to their countries of origin.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/u...sultPosition=1
    No, I'm thinking of the correct story.
    https://www.npr.org/transcripts/926538183
    INSKEEP: I guess on some level, did officials just not anticipate the possibility that a court would tell them to reunify families?

SCHIVONE: I think that's exactly what happened. I don't think they ever had a plan to keep track of the families or reunify them. This administration has been laser-focused on punishing migrants fleeing harm and dismantling the asylum and protection system in the United States. And I think that they were using this as a deterrent. And members of their own administration warned of the trauma and suffering that would be caused. And, of course, we're bearing that out.

INSKEEP: With the exception of very young children, can't many of the children recite their parents' names, their hometowns, where they came from, provide information that would make it easier to locate their parents?

SCHIVONE: They can, and in some cases, that's happened. And then my team at Justice in Motion is tasked with finding parents for whom that information isn't available. And, again, just to be grounded in the reality here, we're dealing with separations that started over three years ago now. So information that was recorded in some government system may not be accurate anymore. We have to remember that most of these families are fleeing harm and extreme conditions in their communities. So there are various safety concerns, and so many of them simply might not have returned to where they were coming from.

INSKEEP: What do we make of the additional disclosure that the government is unable to locate about 360 of the children?

SCHIVONE: That is troubling. And it's further evidence that there are serious problems with this administration's management of the federal government.

INSKEEP: What does it mean that they can't locate the children? Can we presume they're safe somewhere? Do we have no information at all?

SCHIVONE: Well, the fact is, when we're doing these searches for parents, we don't know whether or not they're already in touch with their children. And that's why our work to locate the parents and verify information on what they know is so essential.

INSKEEP: But I'm just trying to think of the fact that there must have been a chain of custody. I mean, how is it - what does it mean to lose track of a child who is in a system like that? Where are they?

SCHIVONE: Well, it's possible that someone in the government knows. But we just don't have that information, and that's something that the ACLU is constantly trying to suss out with the government.

INSKEEP: Is the administration making an effort, in your judgment?

SCHIVONE: A minimal effort required by federal court litigation.

INSKEEP: Nan Schivone of Justice in Motion.

(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
    Nice try though Mets.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 10-22-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    On the topic of separated migrant children, it seems there are more complaints than policy alternatives. I would be alarmed and angered if someone proposed a solution to the problem that didn't compromise on the border.
    How they hell does keeping children with their parents compromise the border??!! What is wrong with your priorities that you are okay with this because of your imaginary "open borders."
    The ones who needed to have a solution that wasn't this cruel and heartless was your Party, who are actually in power.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!