Page 936 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 436836886926932933934935936937938939940946986103614361936 ... LastLast
Results 14,026 to 14,040 of 75153
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Oh, and for no apparent reason other than the Trump administration taking the official stance that they have (a) given up on the pandemic and (b) the pandemic is no big deal, the dow jones is down almost 900 points.
    A good portion of the population still pretends like everything is back to normal and that there isn't a highly contagious virus that has killed +222K people going around. It's bewildering as is the sentiment that wearing a facemask is some onerous burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's an interesting question in the future of what we'll do when there isn't much to be done.

I'm curious if we'll reach that point, or if we'll need people to do something. One potential solution is much shorter workweeks.

I do think there is a discomfort in the idea that much of the population is not capable of handling the courseload in a four year college.

There was a lot of pushback years ago when Kellyanne Conway said that not everyone is college material.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...le-pushing-for

The Atlantic had a piece on the problem with the idea that everyone should go to college.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...people/485618/
    I mean, there will always be stuff to do, so long as there's people around. It's just a matter of like ... used to be, you needed a candlemaker, a shoemaker, a blacksmith, a farmer, etc. There was lots of jobs, just to provide the everyday things everybody needs. That's the part where most of us become redundant, because while we will always need doctors, nurses, teachers, and for that matter chefs and musicians and all of your quality-of-life kinds of professions ... well, not only are the manufacturing/craftsman type gigs just going to be fewer than before automation streamlined things, but even there's just going to be a limit on even those human-focused kinds of professions. We will need doctors and master chefs, but not an endless supply of any of them.

Think of it like how there's still books, magazines, and other traditional writing gigs available, and more on top if you add in all of the online platforms for writers now ... nonetheless, you have people writing fanfics or blogs or whatever by the thousands, for free. I think that's what the majority of your time spent looks like for the majority of the population, in a base-case scenario, in the long run: You have plenty of time to do whatever it is you love, you just don't really have much to do that anybody is going to pay you for.

So the thing is, I feel like we need to get ahead of that prospect mentally, before we get there ... because we've traditionally thought of it as everyone needing to do something to be a productive member of society, in order that they would deserve to have a comfortable home and recreation and all that. We will get to a place though where there is enough food and shelter and even luxury goods to go around, even without everyone working a 40 hour work week. It would be madness to say some people should starve anyway, just because we've run out of useful things for everyone to do.

I think this relates to your articles too, because I don't think everybody would be touchy on the idea that some people aren't cut out for four-year college, if having a four-year degree was not becoming a necessity for earning a living wage. In other words, I don't think it's really about not being realistic about varying degrees of intelligence, so much as its about economic inequality, and how tying achievement to a "good education" is used to perpetuate that.

I mean, you can talk about how access to early education can help close the achievement gap for poor kids, or how vocational or trade schools should be looked at as the best option for some folks ... but you know, you're not going to have the kids of wealthy parents going to trade schools or for that matter enlisting in the military just to afford to pay for school. That's regardless of their natural aptitude, so I feel like that's the part we need to try to address. Nobody's going to care if you say someone isn't cut off for college, if that doesn't mean they and their family will remain at a complete disadvantage.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I hope someone tagged Ice Cube and 50 Cent in this Tweet. 50 Cent is just a selfish d bag who doesn’t want to pay taxes but Ice Cube got conned by the Trump gang.
    If trump's ongoing racism didn't phase them, Jared's comment won't have any affect on them.

Fantastic Member

https://trib.al/xMWztHA

The GOP in Texas is terrified. I really really think this will backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I proudly served twenty years in the military, followed by 22 years in the federal government. No way in hell I’m going to be schooled by an entitled assclown born on third base with a silver spoon up his lily white ass about how I don’t want want to be successful. Are you kidding me?

Yeah it’s the stupidest thing the corrupt GOP Foxtards speak about politics. Not just a color thing. “ People do not want a hand out, they want to work for what they get.”

Who said that? Ivanka Trump.

They wish to be American royalty, well **** them all as they offer nothing to society. Treason is a crime punishable by death and I wish someone with half a mi d who remember that fact. Had it my way many fools would meet their maker right about now.

Yeah that is the problem with unpatriotic rich assholes. It’s “ My God Given rights”

So what if you were born rich, got to keep EARNING it.

JFK “ Ask not for your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.”

Yeah, if your only “gift” is wealth. You should stop being a parasite and cough some of that **** up. They only care for their self interests.

I proudly served twenty years in the military, followed by 22 years in the federal government. No way in hell I’m going to be schooled by an entitled assclown born on third base with a silver spoon up his lily white ass about how I don’t want want to be successful. Are you kidding me?
    So you basically lived off of the Public Teat your whole life?
    Real successful men blow the giant inheritance from their criminal Daddies and then sell their asses to the Saudis.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

...well, it is official. Amy Coney Barrett is a Supreme Court Justice now. :/

My god these people are assholes.

Amy Coney Barrett, confirmed. Happy Birthday, @HillaryClinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Real successful men blow the giant inheritance from their criminal Daddies and then sell their asses to the Saudis.
    Such insane troll logic.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    ...well, it is official. Amy Coney Barrett is a Supreme Court Justice now. :/

My god these people are assholes.
    So, they rammed through a wholly unqualified judge to the Supreme Court.

Now the question is- do they attempt to impeach her for lying to the Senate by omitting several major things, or do they pack the court?

Wish you'd @ that scrawny little **** with that.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Now the question is- do they attempt to impeach her for lying to the Senate by omitting several major things, or do they pack the court?
    If Biden wins, He'll have advisors to come up with a plan. Expanding the court system actually has validity seeing as the population of the country has increased greatly since the last expansion.

Impeachment for her and for Kavanugh is an option, but doing so might be tricky. No one wants to give future presidents, especially future republican presidents an excuse to abuse the system even more then they are currently doing.

So this isn't a decision that should be rushed into.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

What did she omit?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    What did she omit?
    As far as I know she omitted at least 2 student group talks related to the supreme courts ruling on abortion, and an anti abortion ad she signed, but I'm sure there more.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I thought it was the Ivans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If Biden wins, He'll have advisors to come up with a plan. Expanding the court system actually has validity seeing as the population of the country has increased greatly since the last expansion.

Impeachment for her and for Kavanugh is an option, but doing so might be tricky. No one wants to give future presidents, especially future republican presidents an excuse to abuse the system even more then they are currently doing.

So this isn't a decision that should be rushed into.
    Indeed. Between that and risk of court stacking which could escalate something awful, a Biden administration will have a lot to consider in order to balance the scales.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I mean, there will always be stuff to do, so long as there's people around. It's just a matter of like ... used to be, you needed a candlemaker, a shoemaker, a blacksmith, a farmer, etc. There was lots of jobs, just to provide the everyday things everybody needs. That's the part where most of us become redundant, because while we will always need doctors, nurses, teachers, and for that matter chefs and musicians and all of your quality-of-life kinds of professions ... well, not only are the manufacturing/craftsman type gigs just going to be fewer than before automation streamlined things, but even there's just going to be a limit on even those human-focused kinds of professions. We will need doctors and master chefs, but not an endless supply of any of them.

Think of it like how there's still books, magazines, and other traditional writing gigs available, and more on top if you add in all of the online platforms for writers now ... nonetheless, you have people writing fanfics or blogs or whatever by the thousands, for free. I think that's what the majority of your time spent looks like for the majority of the population, in a base-case scenario, in the long run: You have plenty of time to do whatever it is you love, you just don't really have much to do that anybody is going to pay you for.

So the thing is, I feel like we need to get ahead of that prospect mentally, before we get there ... because we've traditionally thought of it as everyone needing to do something to be a productive member of society, in order that they would deserve to have a comfortable home and recreation and all that. We will get to a place though where there is enough food and shelter and even luxury goods to go around, even without everyone working a 40 hour work week. It would be madness to say some people should starve anyway, just because we've run out of useful things for everyone to do.

I think this relates to your articles too, because I don't think everybody would be touchy on the idea that some people aren't cut out for four-year college, if having a four-year degree was not becoming a necessity for earning a living wage. In other words, I don't think it's really about not being realistic about varying degrees of intelligence, so much as its about economic inequality, and how tying achievement to a "good education" is used to perpetuate that.

I mean, you can talk about how access to early education can help close the achievement gap for poor kids, or how vocational or trade schools should be looked at as the best option for some folks ... but you know, you're not going to have the kids of wealthy parents going to trade schools or for that matter enlisting in the military just to afford to pay for school. That's regardless of their natural aptitude, so I feel like that's the part we need to try to address. Nobody's going to care if you say someone isn't cut off for college, if that doesn't mean they and their family will remain at a complete disadvantage.
    It will be an interesting argument to see what happens when there's enough food, shelter and luxury goods to go around thanks to technological innovation. I don't think we'll have any laws about restrictions for its own sake.

Not everybody is touchy about the idea that some people aren't cut out for four-year college, but enough are. There is the worry that some kids will be lost in the cracks, and how to navigate that.

It is a messy question about why the children of the wealthy are going to still typically go to the four year programs, and some of the answers aren't pretty (intelligence is partially inherited, home environment matters.)

By the way, recent studies show that early education has significant benefits, but doesn't do anything for the achievement gap.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...h-kids-fund-it

The writer of the book on the need for education reform a marxist so he'll have a different solution to the way of making sure someone can leave the college track without putting their family at a disadvantage. Conservatives would generally argue that there should be opportunities for a comfortable living for people who aren't on the college track, but learn a useful skill.

The American Bar Association gave her a "well qualified" rating.

https://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...ding-committee

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    As far as I know she omitted at least 2 student group talks related to the supreme courts ruling on abortion, and an anti abortion ad she signed, but I'm sure there more.
    That seems to have been amended.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/09/polit...lks/index.html

But I don't know if Democrats want to set that precedent for the next time Republicans have the Senate (assuming Republicans even lose it.) Federalist society interns will comb through comments by Kagan and Sotomayor to find some kind of pretext to argue lies of omission.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets