Page 970 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 4708709209609669679689699709719729739749801020107014701970 ... LastLast
Results 14,536 to 14,550 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Another reminder this administration would be far scarier if it was competent. Can you imagine if Trump played these underhanded tricks quietly instead of screaming them at the top of his lungs?
    Which is why I would rather have Trump over Pence.

His use of lawfare and corporate despotism in his home state had me wishing for a lackluster Trump presidency while we wait out a strong 8 year term from the Dems (at the time I wanted a Duckworth / Harris ticket ... I am kind of getting that).

Sadly, we have 45 being a wanna-be Pol Pot and I am now 50/50 on the idea.

New Yorker wrote one of the better pieces on Trump over Pence back in 2017 I think?
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...resident-pence
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-02-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Fantastic Member

Another reminder this administration would be far scarier if it was competent. Can you imagine if Trump played these underhanded tricks quietly instead of screaming them at the top of his lungs?
    On the other hand, the GOP would have a harder time riling up their base if he wasn't constantly screaming. So, it goes both ways.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Which is why I would rather have Trump over Pence.

His use of lawfare and corporate despotism in his home state had me wishing for a lackluster Trump presidency while we wait out a strong 8 year term from the Dems (at the time I wanted a Duckworth / Harris ticket ... I am kind of getting that).

Sadly, we have 45 being a wanna-be Pol Pot and I am now 50/50 on the idea.

New Yorker wrote one of the better pieces on Trump over Pence back in 2017 I think?
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...resident-pence
    As I’ve maintained, IMO the only reason Trump wasn’t impeached and we don’t have a President Pence today was because the GOP knew that if they lost Trump, they’d lose his fanatical base who’s more loyal to him than they are the party. Pence is just as dangerous as everyone else in that administration, but he’s too quiet and low key and doesn’t move the needle not even a little bit with the Trumpanzees who are more interested in sizzle than steak.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

If he had handled covid properly, he could have easily taken advantage of it as a vehicle to propagate his anti-immigration and xenophobic views.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Texas Supreme Court rejects the GOP's attempt to toss votes.

They also delayed the appeal to the SCOTUS, citing lack of discovery time since the votes haven't been counted yet.

TXSC also pointed out that by the time the discovery is completed, the vote will be finalized since no digressions were noted in the filing.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/11...harris-county/
    https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...-county-votes/
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/01/polit...ing/index.html

If Team Trump sues Texas for votes, it will be hard pressed because of Double Jeopardy. Those votes should be safe. They'll have to find a new group to sue against.

I think they played their hand too early.

Self-own #4 of their election plans.
    The federal court also rejected their attempt:

U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen, a W. Bush appointee, has ruled Republicans lack standing to challenge 127k drive-thru votes cast in Harris County
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    If he had handled covid properly, he could have easily taken advantage of it as a vehicle to propagate his anti-immigration and xenophobic views.
    Sadly, yea. Another bullet dodged

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    More importantly, if he had taken the virus seriously, there would’ve been thousands fewer deaths and the economy wouldn’t be in the shitter.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    As I’ve maintained, IMO the only reason Trump wasn’t impeached and we don’t have a President Pence today was because the GOP knew that if they lost Trump, they’d lose his fanatical base who’s more loyal to him than they are the party. Pence is just as dangerous as everyone else in that administration, but he’s too quiet and low key and doesn’t move the needle not even a little bit with the Trumpanzees who are more interested in sizzle than steak.
    Trump was in fact impeached.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post

U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen, a W. Bush appointee, has ruled Republicans lack standing to challenge 127k drive-thru votes cast in Harris County
    I'm honestly surprised. Relieved but surprised.

I so hate the electoral college. All these great stories of huge voter turnout means nothing unless it’s happening in a swing state. Even then, if the mass turnout is actually from Trump supporters in those states the angry racist minority will once again rule the majority.

Whatever. I’m just trying not to have a panic attack.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    Same here. Hanen has a rep for being a far right zealot. I figured he would relish the opportunity to suppress that many votes. I guess the claim was even too ridiculous and unlawful even for him.
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-02-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I so hate the electoral college. All these great stories of huge voter turnout means nothing unless it’s happening in a swing state. Even then, if the mass turnout is actually from Trump supporters in those states the angry racist minority will once again rule the majority.

Whatever. I’m just trying not to have a panic attack.

Same here. Hanen has a rep for being a far right zealot. I figured he would relish the opportunity to suppress that many votes. I guess the claim was even too ridiculous and unlawful even for him.
    Either that or he pragmatically decided that being dragged into this mess was the last thing he needed.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    2 of those courts are listed in the top 5 for conservative lean, too.

Tells you how bad their case was.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Trump was in fact impeached.
    Impeached and removed is what people wanted.

I don't think people understand that there are degrees; impeachment, censure, and removal.

Trump was impeached. Clinton was impeached and censured. Nixon was impeached and resigned due to the trial looking like removed was going to be the #1 option.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

The Electoral College is a weird institution that at least has a somewhat understandable argument for continuing to exist - the popular vote supposedly being too centered on the west and east edges of the country to elect people who understand the issues facing midwestern and other states in between those two edges. Though, given the some of the more “unsavory” results of clinging to this way of determining elections, while we may not necessarily have to make the popular vote the be-all end-all, I think the College is showing its age, and so a new kind of system might need to be considered. If for nothing else than to lower the odds of us finding ourselves in this bad of a plague-ridden clusterfuck again.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    The Electoral College is a weird institution that at least has a somewhat understandable argument for continuing to exist - the popular vote supposedly being too centered on the west and east edges of the country to elect people who understand the issues facing midwestern and other states in between those two edges. Though, given the some of the more “unsavory” results of clinging to this way of determining elections, while we may not necessarily have to make the popular vote the be-all end-all, I think the College is showing its age, and so a new kind of system might need to be considered. If for nothing else than to lower the odds of us finding ourselves in this bad of a plague-ridden clusterfuck again.
    Like grouping several states together so that the minority vote (As in political party) in each state has a bigger influence?
    Last edited by ChangingStation; 11-02-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Right now it’s mostly people on the left who want to get rid of the EC, as it will keep the right wing minority in power. But if Texas ever become a true Blue State, we’re going to see a lot more conservatives join the bandwagon.