Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Here's my general plot. We start out with Batman and Robin (16-17 yo) as active crime fighting partners. In civilian life, Bruce formally adopted Dick. Through the course of the movie, we find out that he has only been active in the field as Robin for 18-24 months. Before that, he was studying, training, and functioning as Batman's mission control and "Oracle" resource. The movie culminates in finally finding the identity of the person responsible for the deaths of Dick's parents. They go after him, with Dick nearly killing him. Ultimately, Dick agrees with Bruce that bringing the killer to justice is what is appropriate. We flash forward to a guilty verdict that prompts Dick to become Nightwing, as the Robin outfit was based on the outfit the Flying Graysons wore for their act. Moving forward, it'll be Batman & Nightwing. We could have some easter eggs establishing Titans membership, and the Nightwing identity could be cited as coming from a story Superman once told him. Our Batman is a balanced character who is able to smile, and he and Dick have a healthy father/son relationship just as Bruce and Alfred do.

All the comic book elements would be apologetically intact with little to no updating. It is a comic book movie so the "buy in" is already what it is. Either you can buy in or your can't. If you can't, you aren't likely to watch anyway. So embrace the silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    All the comic book elements would be apologetically intact with little to no updating. It is a comic book movie so the "buy in" is already what it is. Either you can buy in or your can't. If you can't, you aren't likely to watch anyway. So embrace the silliness.
    Does that include the green booty shorts and bare legs?

Without knowing what Reeve's universe is going to be like and how his Batman acts its going to be hard to say.

Maybe a stork drops Robin down the Wayne Manor chimney.

Incredible Member

Robin is Batman's junior partner, but he shouldn't be a child in a film version. I also don't think there should be any real plans to have more than one Robin.

Matt Reeves' version of Batman is like 25, right? Dick Grayson is 18. They're brotherly / buddy cop. They're both orphans with anger issues from childhood trauma, and Bruce can see his journey reflected in what Dick is going through, and so he mentors him — both in detective work and in focusing his anger. They're not father and son. They are two fatherless sons, in their minds, who are working together to beat all the bastards that made their world this way.

Dick's acrobatic abilities mean he didn't need to travel abroad to learn from kung-fu masters like Bruce did; he's put in his hours and he's a naturally gifted and creative fighter. He's also raw, unfocused, and often oblivious of obvious traps. In other words, he needs a teacher.

Batman reveals the tricks of his trade, and offers to guide him in exchange for his assistance and loyalty. Dick is impressed and joins on. It is Dick's idea to go against Bruce's recommendation of a dark costume (a spare Batman costume) for something that will catch the eye a little better.

Batman doesn't understand why Robin would want that... until he sees Robin's approach to things is different, but complementary to Batman's operation. While Robin distracts the thugs, Batman does the important shadowy stealth work and finds the Big Boss.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Without knowing what Reeve's universe is going to be like and how his Batman acts its going to be hard to say.

Maybe a stork drops Robin down the Wayne Manor chimney.
    Yes but one can try.

Make it Kite-Man

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    Robin is Batman's junior partner, but he shouldn't be a child in a film version. I also don't think there should be any real plans to have more than one Robin.

Matt Reeves' version of Batman is like 25, right? Dick Grayson is 18. They're brotherly / buddy cop. They're both orphans with anger issues from childhood trauma, and Bruce can see his journey reflected in what Dick is going through, and so he mentors him — both in detective work and in focusing his anger. They're not father and son. They are two fatherless sons, in their minds, who are working together to beat all the bastards that made their world this way.

Dick's acrobatic abilities mean he didn't need to travel abroad to learn from kung-fu masters like Bruce did; he's put in his hours and he's a naturally gifted and creative fighter. He's also raw, unfocused, and often oblivious of obvious traps. In other words, he needs a teacher.

Batman reveals the tricks of his trade, and offers to guide him in exchange for his assistance and loyalty. Dick is impressed and joins on. It is Dick's idea to go against Bruce's recommendation of a dark costume (a spare Batman costume) for something that will catch the eye a little better.

Batman doesn't understand why Robin would want that... until he sees Robin's approach to things is different, but complementary to Batman's operation. While Robin distracts the thugs, Batman does the important shadowy stealth work and finds the Big Boss.
    Hopefully Reeves/WB will read your comment one can only dream

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This is the move, right here.

Dick Grayson should be the only Robin, and he/she 100% should not be a child.

Now, that we have a trailer I thought of resurrecting this thread. There's a scene where Bruce shields a kid with his body. Could it be this easy? Maybe he should adopt him right away. Just kidding. They could meet again when the boy is older...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I can't tell his personality from the trailer except Alone And Trying so I don't know yet how he's going to take a Robin. I need to see his personality at the end of this arc first.

But go straight to being Nightwing, it's a cooler name and costume than Robin anyway IMO.

I haven't' watched the trailer yet though, thinking maybe I won't watch the trailer, and so watch the film with no expectations at all.

I imagine a Mad Max-type of character for this Bruce finding a kid.

I think it's cute, but it's going to end badly for both the kid and the adult. Not too badly, but probably not too good either if the kids grows into a teenager.

Also, I don't think he would actively allow the kid to be Robin.

But that's all a wild guess at this point.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-26-2020 at 04:31 AM.

After seeing the trailer I'm just going to double down on my previous answer for introducing Robin - I wouldn't.

I'd give him an adult partner like what Beware the Batman did with Katana.

I'd bring in Anarky as a proto-Robin and play with those tropes. Pattinson's Bruce isn't ready to be a dad but I'd let him enjoy being a teacher first.

I like Hit Girl so I don't mind a child sidekick, Bruce adopts a young orphan and trains him to fight bullies at his new school and seeing how good he can be and how stealthy Dick can be Bruce decides to give him a chance as a sidekick.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

There isn't anything that says Robin has to be a child. Robin should just be his partner, not his sidekick. They're the Dynamic Duo.

Dick gives Batman someone to talk to without forcing elderly Alfred to suddenly be a jack of all trades.

I think taking "Robin" away from being a child sidekick would be a great idea for the mythos.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-26-2020 at 03:02 PM.