Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'd heavily play on the Mob angle with Tony Zucco. And Dick's origin as Robin would be a slowburn over the course of a movie. He probably doesn't wear a proper suit till the last act, if not the last scene.

Age-wise, Dick would be around 15-16. Since Pattison's Bruce is probably in his late 20's, or not much older than 30, it'd be less a father-son relationship and more of an older brother dynamic.

A major aspect will be that Dick starts investigating his parent's murder on his own, actively putting his life in danger. Bruce repeatedly tries to stop him, but fails. He realizes that he has no choice but to take Dick on as a partner to ensure that the boy doesn't get himself killed.

I'd have Dick wear his circus costume at one point, which looks kinda Robin-like. The final suit I think should be a more armored up, darker version of Tim's red and black suit. Or something like the Titans Robin suit.

Retired

Sorry, but I find it a ridiculous notion that child endangerment drives away audiences. This always seems to be the received wisdom why a young Robin can't appear in a Batman movie; however, as the popular saying goes, that's not the bug, that's the feature.

Having a young child that Batman is responsible for adds suspense to the drama. The only hurdle is explaining how Bruce Wayne ends up as the boy's guardian. If Batman were to purposely look for a boy to make his partner--that would make him out to be a lousy kind of guy. Although, I notice that a lot of Batman writers have no qualms about making Bruce a lousy kind of guy. Nevertheless, if the Boy Wonder is getting himself in danger on his own, without any help from the Batman, then Bruce would prove himself the hero by trying to protect that kid from harm.

Anyway, there are thousands of movies about kids in danger and they've made lots of money. So I don't know where people have got this idea that such a movie wouldn't make money.

To me it's far more ridiculous to have a guy in his late teens or early twenties who needs the Batman in his life. Why for? By then the guy is totally capable of taking care of himself and he wouldn't need or welcome the Batman telling him what to do. The Boy Wonder needs to be a boy when he starts out, because that's when he's most in need of a parent and a mentor.

Batman in general is ridiculous and fantastical. It might create the illusion of realism, more so depending on the decade, but its all still ridiculous. And thats kind of the point. Now a days almost anything comic book is not only accepted but embraced by audiences.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-04-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Because a child hero concept is ridiculous in a movie that isn't aimed mainly at children.

So, yeah. I definitely believe people won't embrace Robin if he was a child and Batman will be mocked for it.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    It’s funny I did actually go on a weird Halloween themed date to a small circus thing just a year ago (small thing outside Applebee’s). I don’t know what Cirque de Soliel is but there was some acrobats and some strange music. But I remember being kinda unimpressed by the whole thing.
    Ok, so maybe this time around The Flying Graysons are just acrobat participants for America’s Got Talent. For which Bruce Wayne was hosting for some reason. And breakdancer Tony Zuko wants that million dollar prize so he kills the Graysons!.... Okay that’s kinda silly, maybe Dick does have an outdated origin and Tim, Damian or Jason be an easier sell.
    Tim's origin is problematic too, as he became Robin after figuring out Dick's secret identity and then Bruce's from there. Dick gets taken in by Bruce, Robin appears around the same time and uses the same moves that Dick did at the circus, therefore Robin must be Dick and Batman must be Bruce. Then he figures out that Robin was replaced by a younger kid, who died, and then he seeks Bruce out. Obviously, if Dick doesn't exist, this can't happen.

Maybe simplify it to Tim witnessing the Batmobile coming out from underneath Wayne Manor (where of course, the Batcave is) and figuring out Batman's secret identity that way? Originally, Tim lived next door to Bruce.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Because a child hero concept is ridiculous in a movie that isn't aimed mainly at children.

So, yeah. I definitely believe people won't embrace Robin if he was a child and Batman will be mocked for it.
    I think it depends on the execution.

If he's a introduced as a child character (more young teens, 12-13) but not thrown into the action right away, instead saving full Robin activity to when he's a little older, I think it would be fine.

The GA can be won over fairly easily when things are done well enough, I wouldn't rule it out right away. They are already fine with Spider-Man working with adult heroes despite the fact that he was designed to be an independent teen hero and not someone's ward.

just put him in armor like Batman has armor. No classic-era literal outfit where he's all exposed.

Alright, I gave it some thought, and I know how to make Robin work in a way that makes sense.
    Okay, so picture them giving these films a hard R rating, and just go all in with Bruce having some kind of weird mental illness or compulsions right? So he's dressed up in the usual Batman suit/armor, but taking a cue from Watchmen's Dr. Manhattan Bruce just let's his junk hang free. But he has his penis dressed up in a little Robin outfit, and for some reason he calls his penis Grayson. You now have a "Dick" Grayson as Robin in a modern Batman movie that makes more sense to modern viewers than child endangerment.

(Okay, so I only thought up that whole premise to do a lame dick joke, but you gotta admit "Dick" Grayson as a literal dick was kind of funny right?)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Alright, I gave it some thought, and I know how to make Robin work in a way that makes sense.
    Okay, so picture them giving these films a hard R rating, and just go all in with Bruce having some kind of weird mental illness or compulsions right? So he's dressed up in the usual Batman suit/armor, but taking a cue from Watchmen's Dr. Manhattan Bruce just let's his junk hang free. But he has his penis dressed up in a little Robin outfit, and for some reason he calls his penis Grayson. You now have a "Dick" Grayson as Robin in a modern Batman movie that makes more sense to modern viewers than child endangerment.

(Okay, so I only thought up that whole premise to do a lame dick joke, but you gotta admit "Dick" Grayson as a literal dick was kind of funny right?)
    I post weird stuff when drunk, too. No offense.

There are many many movies about child endangerment where its not a big deal (the Stormtroopers from Star Wars never hit anything, the kid in Temple of Doom). Audiences just want their Batman all gritty and he can be despite having a sidekick. God please, no mental illness. We already had Kick Ass and Kick Ass 2

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I post weird stuff when drunk, too. No offense.

There are many many movies about child endangerment where its not a big deal (the Stormtroopers from Star Wars never hit anything, the kid in Temple of Doom). Audiences just want their Batman all gritty and he can be despite having a sidekick. God please, no mental illness. We already had Kick Ass and Kick Ass 2
    I'm not drunk, that's my sober humor. I don't drink so I have no clue what sort of joke I'd tell drunk...

I would say there's a difference though with your examples - the Stormtroopers are villains. That they hit nothing isn't a point, they're endangerment of children is just what evil does. And Indiana Jones is a much more lighthearted property than Batman, Indy doesn't fight crime he's an archaeologist which is normally a safe job, he just has bad luck, and that movie ranks with Crystal Skull as one of the bad ones. Although I probably shouldn't start getting too serious in this thread after posting a lame dick joke...

Also the mental illness was in service to the joke, not an actual suggestion.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 05-04-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post

While we're at it... get rid of the Bat costume. A special forces combat wear... much more practical. Maybe keep the cowl but loose the cape most def.
    Get rid of the Butler as well. A bodyguard is so much better. Sasha Bordeaux returns. (Actually I really miss Sasha)

BANNED

I used to think the idea of a "batfamily" was somewhat silly and weird and preferred the brooding solo Batman but upon further retrospection I think it makes sense that Batman at some point would develop more alliances and partnerships throughout his career as a vigilante if he's successful at all. I like the Gotham by Gaslight origin of the Robin's where they're all street orphans who know each other and I think Matt Reeves will be heavily borrowing from these storylines as has been hinted.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post
    I used to think the idea of a "batfamily" was somewhat silly and weird and preferred the brooding solo Batman but upon further retrospection I think it makes sense that Batman at some point would develop more alliances and partnerships throughout his career as a vigilante if he's successful at all. I like the Gotham by Gaslight origin of the Robin's where they're all street orphans who know each other and I think Matt Reeves will be heavily borrowing from these storylines as has been hinted.
    He's hinted he'll be borrowing from Gotham by Gaslight?

I think audiences would roll with Robin, providing it's done right.

This is a very, very well known concept. Everyone knows "Batman & Robin" and Robin is one of only 5 truly iconic comic characters. Audiences have proven they'll accept anything, as long as it's packaged right, and Robin is no exception. The fact that it's a known quantity only helps sell the idea in modern live action.

I don't know how I'd introduce Dick or any Robin in this particular movie. I don't know what the film is supposed to be or what tone or subgenres it's playing with.

But I think, in general, there's only three things you need to establish for a credible Dick-Robin.

Dick's age: He's gotta be around 16 or so. Any younger and you'll probably run into problems.

Dick's autonomy: Establish that Dick is going after Zucco (or whoever) whether Bruce helps or not, and Dick's too slippery to lock him in his room. You do that, and it's not Batman recruiting child soldiers into his war, it's Bruce trying to keep a stubborn kid from getting himself killed.

Dick's capability: Dick isn't a normal kid. Setting aside his athletic ability, growing up in a traveling show is going to make him much harder and tougher than a kid who grew up in suburbia. Violence and the underbelly of society are a daily occurrence for Dick long before he wears a cape. There's plenty of tv shows that delve into the gritty, hardass world of circuses and stuff like that if you need examples. Additionally, establish that Dick isn't a front line fighter, at least initially. Have Bruce reluctantly bring Dick into the Batman operation but have Bruce use him in ways that don't put the kid in direct danger; use him as a lookout so Bruce doesn't get caught unaware. Use him as a kind of sniper (non-lethal obvs). Use him as a getaway driver. Use him to steal evidence or information while Bruce is fighting everyone. Stuff like that. Establish that Bruce is trying to keep Dick out of the actual fighting, even if Dick throws himself into it.

And the circus isn't a problem. We still have some few traveling shows left in the world, so there's still precedent for it. And really, we're talking about a story where a billionaire dresses up in bulletproof leather and beats up purse snatchers. Drawing the "it's not realistic!" line at the circus is a pretty weird hill to die on.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Dick Grayson is around the same age as Bruce and is a struggling cop (trying to be a good person in a corrupt system). He has a background in martial arts and did some gymnastics. He deduces Batman's identity and becomes the Watson to Bruce's Holmes.

As Dick Grayson, Bruce Wayne hires him as a body guard- so they have a reason to be seen together.