Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    There isn't anything that says Robin has to be a child. Robin should just be his partner, not his sidekick. They're the Dynamic Duo.

Dick gives Batman someone to talk to without forcing elderly Alfred to suddenly be a jack of all trades.

I think taking "Robin" away from being a child sidekick would be a great idea for the mythos.
    I think it has to do with Dick being the same age as Bruce when they lost their parents and its the reason Bruce adopts him.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I would make him either a teenager or on the cusp of being one (13 at max)

I would still involve Tony Zucco in the murder of his parents (really doesn't make sense that the movies primary villain would take an interest in a travelling circus that's only gonna be in gotham for a week)

I'd dedicate the movie to Dick's training and have him play a minor role in defeating the villain at the very end, with the assurance that he still has a long way to go.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

He can always adopt him at the same age as him when their parents died but not allowing him in the field until he's older. Let him be the squire at home. Helps Alfred in the house and the cave.

It's a big house and cave

Easily....I wouldn't...

I wouldn't.

Just like with TDK trilogy, the tone of this Universe doesn't seem to fit the comic book elements much. I don't doubt the film will be great, but sidekicks screams super-heroes when the whole trailer goes out of his way to state that it isn't a super-hero movie, but a dark and gritty movie with a Batman in it.

[QUOTE=Korath;5116841]I wouldn't.

Just like with TDK trilogy, the tone of this Universe doesn't seem to fit the comic book elements much. I don't doubt the film will be great, but sidekicks screams super-heroes when the whole trailer goes out of his way to state that it isn't a super-hero movie, but a dark and gritty movie with a Batman in it.[/QUOTE

Right ? Reading some of the replies about how people would do it is cringe. Like are they seeing the same thing I am? Clearly not.

The only kind of film robin would fit in would be a Snyder verse style film where it leans more towards unrralistic. There is a reason why the true visionaries among the barman directors have not included him...he kind of sucks ...

I will say IF, IF it's gonna work it has to be closer to the titans show version. That first scene where he murks those dude in the alley and drags buddies face across the glass. Aside from a dark version like that he does not fit..

Bruce would wake up after one of his first big fights, bruised and sore, sitting at the breakfast table talking with Alfred. The camera moves to his breakfast, and there's a newspaper headline about the "Bat Man".

In the bottom corner of the newspaper there's another article with the headline "The Flying Graysons Family Murdered By Angry Juveniles After Performance". The sub-header reads "Teen suspects Jason Todd and Tim Drake were taken into custody, after being arrested blocks away from the tragic murder scene..."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Right ? Reading some of the replies about how people would do it is cringe. Like are they seeing the same thing I am? Clearly not.

The only kind of film robin would fit in would be a Snyder verse style film where it leans more towards unrralistic. There is a reason why the true visionaries among the barman directors have not included him...he kind of sucks ...

I will say IF, IF it's gonna work it has to be closer to the titans show version. That first scene where he murks those dude in the alley and drags buddies face across the glass. Aside from a dark version like that he does not fit..
    There's a difference between a character not fitting a specific take and sucking. Batman wouldn't be where he is today in part due to the initial popularity that Robin helped boost, so he definitely doesn't suck despite Burton and Nolan turning their nose up at him (the former getting pretty campy on his own even without Robin).

I think both those clamoring for Robin to be in this and those saying he won't fit at all are jumping the gun either way. We don't know how this take will evolve or what Reeves' stance is either way, it could show the evolution of a more traditional superhero narrative/stable Batman or it could ramp up the darkness even further as it goes on. Forcing Robin into this and bemoaning his absence if the director genuinely doesn't have a story to tell with him would lead to badness, so if that's the case do not include him. But stuff like Year One took place in the same continuity as all his sidekicks, plant monsters and shape shifting mudmen, so it's not like there isn't precedent for starting with relative gritty realism and going into weirder territory.

Solo Batman has already had plenty of shots though, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we had a director who recognized there is more to this character than gritty darkness. Though if we have to have more of that, at least Reeves looks to be doing it very well and I don't want his vision to be messed with

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There's a difference between a character not fitting a specific take and sucking. Batman wouldn't be where he is today in part due to the initial popularity that Robin helped boost, so he definitely doesn't suck despite Burton and Nolan turning their nose up at him (the former getting pretty campy on his own even without Robin).

I think both those clamoring for Robin to be in this and those saying he won't fit at all are jumping the gun either way. We don't know how this take will evolve or what Reeves' stance is either way, it could show the evolution of a more traditional superhero narrative/stable Batman or it could ramp up the darkness even further as it goes on. Forcing Robin into this and bemoaning his absence if the director genuinely doesn't have a story to tell with him would lead to badness, so if that's the case do not include him. But stuff like Year One took place in the same continuity as all his sidekicks, plant monsters and shape shifting mudmen, so it's not like there isn't precedent for starting with relative gritty realism and going into weirder territory.

Solo Batman has already had plenty of shots though, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we had a director who recognized there is more to this character than gritty darkness. Though if we have to have more of that, at least Reeves looks to be doing it very well and I don't want his vision to be messed with
    DC Comic fans love sidekicks, I get that.

But in general, they're thought of as a silly, outdated notion from a simpler era. For that reason, I think DC was smart way back in making the New Teen Titans about the teens' peer-based lives, versus examining their parental relationships. It made them more identifiable, relatable. And them being off together makes their "mentors" seem less irresponsible and/or creepy.

So will we ever see Robin in a serious Batman film? I think the answer is no - it probably wouldn't be a serious Batman film with Robin in it.
    Batman Forever might be as close as that idea could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    I would still involve Tony Zucco in the murder of his parents (really doesn't make sense that the movies primary villain would take an interest in a travelling circus that's only gonna be in gotham for a week)
    Unless they have a history with the Circus or Circus owner (most likely Joker, Penguin, Killer Croc) or theres Dick's connection to the Court of Owls/Talons I believe

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    DC Comic fans love sidekicks, I get that.

But in general, they're thought of as a silly, outdated notion from a simpler era. For that reason, I think DC was smart way back in making the New Teen Titans about the teens' peer-based lives, versus examining their parental relationships. It made them more identifiable, relatable. And them being off together makes their "mentors" seem less irresponsible and/or creepy.

So will we ever see Robin in a serious Batman film? I think the answer is no - it probably wouldn't be a serious Batman film with Robin in it.
    Batman Forever might be as close as that idea could get.
    Eh, BTAS managed to pull off Robin pretty well and could handle serious topics and characterizations just fine. There is also current MCU Peter Parker who has adult heroes knowing his identity but still don't do anything to stop him. I think the fans who want sidekicks no matter what and those that don't want them no matter what are coming at this from extremes and projecting what they want onto what they think the general audience will go for. If the MCU can make people care about a talking raccoon and take him seriously, Robin won't be a problem depending on how they handle it. The GA doesn't care that much either way.

Like if Dick is orphaned at 13-14 and meets Bruce in one film, and we jump ahead to when he's Robin at 18-19 in the next film we pretty much breeze past all the problematic elements immediately and it can be told in a balanced narrative that doesn't have to careen into full camp or full edgelord darkness.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Unless they have a history with the Circus or Circus owner (most likely Joker, Penguin, Killer Croc) or theres Dick's connection to the Court of Owls/Talons I believe
    I still really don't like the idea especially if it's set in a world where Joe Chill was the one who murdered Bruce's parents. It ruins the parallel with Bruce if his parents were killed as part of some elaborate scheme or conspiracy involving a supervillain.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I think it has to do with Dick being the same age as Bruce when they lost their parents and its the reason Bruce adopts him.
    Instead of having him adopt a child, just have that be the reason Dick and Bruce bond as friends/brothers. A similar bond to Watson and Holmes in the Guy Ritchie flicks.

Batman needs a Watson figure, tbh. Someone to talk to and bounce ideas off of, that's not his butler. Dick could be someone inspired by the Batman who eventually is employed by the Batman.

Instead of the circus, Dick can just be a gymnast and martial artist.

So I thought about it, and here's how I'd do it. Bruce has just witnessed the murder of the Flying Grayson's and is trying to get the paperwork done to either adopt him or take him in as a foster kid, but while no one is watching Dick he runs off still wearing his circus clothes, looking for revenge on the man who killed his family. So Dick is running from rooftop to rooftop, but because there's no net to catch him he falls when he fails to leap far enough to reach one roof. Meanwhile Jason Todd is stealing the tires off a car in Crime Alley. Also meanwhile Tim Drake is walking past Crime Alley when he spots Jason stealing tires and goes to try to get the older boy to stop. So Dick lands on Jason at the end of his fall and they both die horribly yet instantly and a terrified Tim runs in terror from the sight into oncoming traffic and also dies horribly yet instantly. So Dick, Jason, and Tim have all died in one fell swoop.

Then at the end of the trilogy we see Talia waiting in some clinic to get an abortion.

And that's how I think I would go about introducing Robin to this new Batman trilogy.

True talk, I'd rather not have Robin in these particular films. It looks like we're going back to a more grounded Nolan type take and Robin wouldn't fit. I'd rather we just get a Teen Titans or Young Justice movie either in the DCEU or another new continuity.

I'd probably do the We Are Robin group and have most of the Robins meet up there.

Only problem is I don't know why they still call themselves "Robin" but I'd have it be Robin Hood instead. Or i thought of Dick coming up with that name himself for sentimental reasons and he becomes the leader.

I'd probably build the Batfamily around Affleck instead of Pattinson. Affleck's arc for his tenure as Batman is reestablishing his hero credentials. In the Deathstroke plot, he'd rebuild his ties with Dick and Barbara in order to stop Deathstroke from doing whatever he's gonna do. Jason already died and by the end of the film he decides to take on Tim as a new Robin. Tim is optional and could be replaced with Steph/Carrie/Duke/Luke/Anarky etc.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-28-2020 at 09:18 AM.