Fantastic Member

Default No change on 14 day access to old CBR threads?

I have spent an undetermined amount of time over the last 18 months or so working on a thread listing the X-Books in order of publication.After some initial doubts I had decided to try and cut and paste the thread into the new board but it's too time consuming and there is no way hat it can be done in the 14 days allotted.

Rather than waste my time over the next week trying to to do it,can you let me know if the 14 day limit is set in stone because I won't waste more time on it if I won't have time to complete the transfer.

A reply from a mod would be appreciated.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    I have spent an undetermined amount of time over the last 18 months or so working on a thread listing the X-Books in order of publication.After some initial doubts I had decided to try and cut and paste the thread into the new board but it's too time consuming and there is no way hat it can be done in the 14 days allotted.

Rather than waste my time over the next week trying to to do it,can you let me know if the 14 day limit is set in stone because I won't waste more time on it if I won't have time to complete the transfer.

I hope they do.

But if they don't extend you could try asking for help from posters...if you don't mind them helping to build your thread back up.

How far have you gotten??

I always looked for new posts in that thread. The loss of that thread, and threads like it, is very unfortunate in this whole thing. I hope some accommodation is made.

I was a tremendous fan of that thread, even if I never replied. I would hate to see it lost.

A user on another discussion forum suggested this method for archiving pages that you may wish to consider:

"I did have luck saving threads as PDF, though. I found a handy Firefox Addon, the cleverly named "Print pages to Pdf" , that lets you print every open tab into a PDF document. It may be a tad unwieldy, but you can open a tab for each page and then use the addon. I archived a thread this way with 10 pages per PDF and compressed a thread into 8 pages, but there's no reason you couldn't do it in a single one.

I hope this helps!"

I would love to see the 14 days extended as well, for what it's worth.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Fantastic Member

Wow. Winter came to the forums.. andthis 14 day limit i just read about...ugh. I don't have any threads I want to save anything on that springs to mind, but I did sometimes like browsing for old threads on a select few chars. And more lately threads in the wonderwoman sections I found of interest.

Incidentally, i thought one couldn't truly delete something once it has been posted. I think there is some super complicated way you could maybe still see something or another...but it'd be a lot of trouble and is beyond my technical know how or will.

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post

You should be be able to use this tool to automatically download the whole thread relatively quickly.

http://www.httrack.com/

Just specify the URL of the thread's first page in "Web addresses" and you should be set to go. It will take some time, but will be far faster than saving each page/post manually. And you can do something more rewarding during that time!

The result of the download is a set of HTML/CSS/JS/JPG/etc. files that you can browse locally on your computer.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

There are currently no plans to keep the old forums after the 14 days mentioned in our initial statement.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I hope they do.

But if they don't extend you could try asking for help from posters...if you don't mind them helping to build your thread back up.

How far have you gotten??
    I had considered that as a possibility but for reasons explained in this post,it is no longer necessary but thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I always looked for new posts in that thread. The loss of that thread, and threads like it, is very unfortunate in this whole thing. I hope some accommodation is made.
    Thanks a lot for reading the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    I was a tremendous fan of that thread, even if I never replied. I would hate to see it lost.

A user on another discussion forum suggested this method for archiving pages that you may wish to consider:

"I did have luck saving threads as PDF, though. I found a handy Firefox Addon, the cleverly named "Print pages to Pdf" , that lets you print every open tab into a PDF document. It may be a tad unwieldy, but you can open a tab for each page and then use the addon. I archived a thread this way with 10 pages per PDF and compressed a thread into 8 pages, but there's no reason you couldn't do it in a single one.

I hope this helps!"

I would love to see the 14 days extended as well, for what it's worth.
    Again,thank you so much for taking the time to post a possible solution.I'm not so tech minded so.........

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Hurrah!!I love you,dude!You saved my thread.......*big hug*......Thank you so very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Daenarys Stormborn View Post
    Wow. Winter came to the forums.. andthis 14 day limit i just read about...ugh. I don't have any threads I want to save anything on that springs to mind, but I did sometimes like browsing for old threads on a select few chars. And more lately threads in the wonderwoman sections I found of interest.

Incidentally, i thought one couldn't truly delete something once it has been posted. I think there is some super complicated way you could maybe still see something or another...but it'd be a lot of trouble and is beyond my technical know how or will.
    Yeah,I always thought the same?.....seems like things can be deleted for good,though

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    You should be be able to use this tool to automatically download the whole thread relatively quickly.

http://www.httrack.com/

Just specify the URL of the thread's first page in "Web addresses" and you should be set to go. It will take some time, but will be far faster than saving each page/post manually. And you can do something more rewarding during that time!

The result of the download is a set of HTML/CSS/JS/JPG/etc. files that you can browse locally on your computer.
    Again,thanks for this--I would have used it if it wasn't for GozartheGozarian's solution above.....But thanks again for bothering to offer me some help--I appreciate it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    There are currently no plans to keep the old forums after the 14 days mentioned in our initial statement.
    Okay,I understand that is the Mod stance-fortunately,more tech-friendly individuals than me have helped out.