Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

And the least competitive years (under 50 debuts):

1936, 1937, 1938, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956 & 1957.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    And the least competitive years (under 50 debuts):

1936, 1937, 1938, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956 & 1957.
    Well, if you're obsessed with costumed supermen, that might be a down time. But if you like other kinds of flavours in your stew, there's plenty of selection.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hard choices....

But

1993 Harley Quinn over Conner Kent
    1994 Kyle over Bart Allen
    2015 Dr. Fate over Jonathan Samuel Kent

would be sure interesting to discuss..
    Interesting, and I suppose I should mention that Harley Quinn debuted in 1992 in TAS, but going by comic debuts, she debuted in 1993 in the the BA comics, which is why I listed her under 1993.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 05-05-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I was curious as to why Supergirl wasn't on the list. But I looked it up and she debuted in 1959, same as Hal GL, so I understood why after that.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I was curious as to why Supergirl wasn't on the list. But I looked it up and she debuted in 1959, same as Hal GL, so I understood why after that.
    Also Wally West, Sgt. Rock, Bat-Mite, the Space Museum, Rip Hunter, the Suicide Squad, Mademoiselle Marie, Pat Boone, Weather Wizard, the Justice League of America (cover dated 1960 but on sale in December 1959).

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yeah, I felt more inclined to have Hal on there because of the Justice League, Green Lantern Corps, and how prominent of a character he has become in general and such, though I’m sure there’s a solid argument to be made that Supergirl is more notable, whom I also considered for 1959.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Also works great to see all the characters who were "born" the same year / are the same age as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If I was going to do it, I wouldn't always go by what year a character (or team) was introduced. I'd prefer to pick something significant that happened that year.
    Or indicate what years were actually the most impact-full, productive, and influential creatively, as some years have several, while others few.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-05-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Astonishing Member

Some years might require 2 most notable characters.

Lot of characters debuted in 1940. You could make a strong argument for Robin over Joker in terms of influence and legacy. Dick is DC's 3rd most published character of all time only behind Batman and Superman, was the first sidekick and set the table for all future sidekicks, created the Robin identity that future characters like Jason,Tim and Damian all came from, and created and lead the Titans team and franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Some years might require 2 most notable characters.
    1940, 1941, 1959, 1980 and 2006 being the best examples of that imo.

1940: The Joker, Catwoman, Robin, Hawkgirl, Hawkman
    1941: Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Arrow
    1959: Green Lantern (Hal), Supergirl, Wally West
    1980: Cyborg, Raven, Starfire, Deathstroke
    2006: Blue Beele (Jaime), Batwoman, Miss Martian, Atom (Ryan)
    Last edited by Samm; 05-05-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Power Girl didn't make 1976? Really? Harley technically would have been 1992 since that's when she first appeared on the show.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Lot of characters debuted in 1940. You could make a strong argument for Robin over Joker in terms of influence and legacy. Dick is DC's 3rd most published character of all time only behind Batman and Superman, was the first sidekick and set the table for all future sidekicks, created the Robin identity that future characters like Jason,Tim and Damian all came from, and created and lead the Titans team and franchise.
    Lex Luthor also debuted in 1940, per Wikipedia

(According to Wikipedia, Lex, Joker, and dick all first appeared in April 1940)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

1940 - Shazam/Captain Marvel
    1941 - Aquaman (but I'll concede to Wonder Woman)
    1994 - Jack Knight
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-05-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Lex Luthor also debuted in 1940, per Wikipedia

(According to Wikipedia, Lex, Joker, and dick all first appeared in April 1940)
    Yep, other characters introduced in 1940:

Doctor Fate

Green Lantern

The Flash

Hawkman

Hourman

The Atom

The Spectre

Clayface

Catwoman

Extraordinary Member

This thread inspired me to do a version that encompasses all of pop culture. Here are the ones where I think DC was the most notable of the year, or an honorable mention

1938. Superman (HM: Lois Lane, The Addams Family )
    1939. Batman (HM: Blue Beetle, Billy Batson, Jim Gordon, Namor, Jim Hammond, Curious George, Casper the Friendly Ghost )

1940. Dick Grayson (HM: Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Lex Luthor, The Joker, Jimmy Olsen, Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, Catwoman, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, , Horton the Elephant, Lassie, Kharis )
    1941. Steve Rogers (HM: Wonder Woman, Archie Andrews, Jughead Jones, Lawrence Talbot, Aquaman, Green Arrow, The Penguin, Plastic Man, Bucky Barnes, Red Skull)
    1942. Two-Face (HM: Mary Marvel, Wildcat, Jose Carioca, Tweety)
    1943. Alfred Pennyworth (HM: Azathoth, Vandal Savage,Cheetah , Chip, Dale, Droopy, )
    1944. Solomon Grundy (HM: Mr. Mxyzptlk Smokey the Bear, Panchito Pistoles, Patsy Walker )
    1945. Sylvester the Cat (HM: Superboy, Yosemite Sam, Holden Cauffield, Black Adam)
    1947. Scrooge McDuck (HM: Black Canary)
    1948. The Riddler (HM: Marvin the Martian)

1952. Lucy van Pelt (HM: Linus Van Pelt Tony the Tiger, Detective Chimp)
    1955. Kermit the Frog (HM: Martian Manhunter, Krypto the Superdog, Speedy Gonzalez, Anguirus, The Burger King)
    1956. Barry Allen (HM: Rodan, Robby the Robot, Cruella de Vil, Flintheart Glomgold)
    1957. The Grinch (HM: Ward Cleaver, The Cat in the Hat, Captain Cold)
    1958. Brainiac (HM: Bizarro, Alvin, Simon, Theodore, Yogi Bear, Paddington Bear, The Smurfs, The Legion of Superheroes)
    1959. Hal Jordan (HM: Barbie, Maleficent, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Norman Bates, Asterix, Supergirl, Mr. Freeze, Gorilla Grodd, Wally West)

1960. Fred Flinstone (HM: Atticus Finch, Barney Fife, Captain Atom, Captain Boomerang)
    1961. Mothra (HM: The Fantastic Four, Ken, Elric of Melnibone, Ernst Stavro, Blofield, Snagglepuss, Brainiac 5, General Zod, Ray Palmer, Magica De Spell)
    1963. Tony Stark (HM: The 1st Doctor, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Charles Xavier, Hank McCoy, Magneto, Dr. Strange, Nick Fury, J. Jonah Jameson, Doc Ock, Eobard thawne, Ronald McDonald, Inspector Clouseau, Pebbles and Bamm Bamm, Clifford the Big Red Dog,)
    1964. G. I. Joe (HM: King Ghidorah, The Man with No Name, Willy Wonka, Gilligan, Zatanna, Scarlet Witch,, Quicksilver, Matt Murdock, Clint Barton, Kraven the Hunter, Green Goblin)
    1965. Gwen Stacy (HM: Gamera, Paul Atreides, Beast Boy, Donna Troy, Juggernaut, Harry Osborn)
    1966. Captain Kirk (HM: Spock, Ultraman, The 2nd Doctor, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Black Panther, Ted Kord, Smurfette, Peppermint Patty)
    1967. Barbara Gordon (HM: Lupin III, Detective Zenigata, Minilla, Pavel Chekhov, Khan Noonien Singh, Black Manta, Vic Sage)
    1968. Carol Danvers (HM: Rick Deckard, Rooster Cogburn, HAL 9000, Herbie the Lovebug, Dick Dastardly, Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewert, Ultron, The Vision, Guy Gardner )
    1969. Scooby Doo (HM: Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, Oscar the Grouch, Michael Corleone, Shaggy, Velma, Dinah Lance, Sam Wilson, Hawkeye Pierce)

1970. Darkseid (HM: Doraemon, The 3rd Doctor, Gonzo)
    1971. Kamen Rider 1 (HM: "Dirty" Harry Callaghan, The Master, Archie Bunker, Ra's al-Ghul, Talia Al-Ghul, Big Barda, Mr. Miracle, Orion, John Stewert)
    1972. John Rambo (HM: Six Million Dollar Man, Alec Holland, Etrigan, Jonah Hex, Luke Cage, Ghost Rider)
    1976. Rocky Balboa (HM: Kunta Kinte, Power Girl, Psylocke)

1980. Pac-Man (HM: Yoda, Lando Calrissian, Palpatine, Jason Voorhees, McGruff the Crime Dog, Ernest P. Worrell, Victor Stone, Rachel Roth, Starfire, Slade Wilson, Emma Frost, Jen Walters, Kitty Pryde, Arale Norimaki)
    1985. Doc Brown (HM: Bowser, Princess Peach, Carmen Sandiego, Marty McFly, John Constantine, Krillin, She-Ra, Lion-O)
    1986. Link (HM: Ganon, Princess Zelda, Samus Aran, Simon Belmont, Forrest Gump, Unicron, Booster Gold, Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan, Geralt of Rivia, Pennywise)
    1989. George Costanza (HM: Castlevania's Alucard, Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders, Tim Drake, Helena Bertinelli, Dream of the Endless, Frieza)

1992. Harley Quinn (HM: Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Doomsday, Victor Fries, Honor Harrington, The Genie, Blossom, Bubbles, Buttercup, Beavis, Butt Head, Kirby, Wario, Spawn, Cell, Eric Cartman, Buffy Summers)
    1993. Tommy Oliver (HM: Doom Guy, Cammy White, Fox McCloud, Megaman X, Zero, Static, Kon-El, John Henry Irons, Bane, Hellboy, John Munch, Fox Mulder, Dana Scully, Zordon)
    1994. Akuma (HM: Simba, Timon and Pumbaa, Jay and Silent Bob, Heihachi Mishima, Morrigan Aensland, Kyle Rayner, Bart Allen, Majin Buu, David Xanatos, Lord Zedd)
    1996. Pikachu (HM: Jon Snow, Daenrys Targeryen, Arya Stark, Sansa Stark, Charizard, Mewtwo, Meowth, Eevee, Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, Sakura Kinomoto, Yugi Moto, Cassie Sandsmark)
    1999. Naruto Uzumaki (HM: Neo, Agent Smith, Lugia, Cass Cain, Darth Maul, Sasuke Uchiha, Bender, Spongebob Squarepants)

2001: Master Chief (HM: Dominic Toretto, Sookie Stackhouse, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Tom Nook, Manchester Black, Edward Elric, Ultimate Nick Fury, Jessica Jones, Ichigo Kurosaki, Jack Bauer, Samurai Jack, Jimmy Neutron)
    2006: Jaime Reyes (HM: Lucario, Marcus Fenix, Mater, Yuno Gasai, Damian Wayne, Amadeus Cho, Natsu Dragneel, Sylar, Claire Bennet, Peter Petrelli, Hiro Nakamura)

2012: Ruby Rose (HM: Isabelle, Handsome Jack, the Pines family, Korra, Sara Lance)
    2013: Queen Elsa (HM: Kamala Khan, Jessica Cruz, Steven Universe, The 12th Doctor, Rick Sanchez)
    2014: John Wick (HM: Izuku Midoriya, Shovel Knight, Bojack Horseman, Harrison Wells, Tracer)
    2015: Kylo Ren (HM: Sans, Jon Kent, Marinette Dupain-Cheng)