Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Aren’t the Injustice comics done with the He-Man crossover?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ugh I knew it was coming. I’m hoping it’s not one of the main books but we’ll see. The way a lot of you guys feel about Bendis is how I feel about Taylor. He’s written some good Marvel stuff but all of his DC work leaves me cold, just doesn’t ever click with me. Venditti is only having a six issue run with Man of Tomorrow, so Taylor could be taking over for that. Or it could be Injustice 3, MS is going to be showing off third party games soon for their next gen Xbox, and there’s also going to be a Summer Game Show that’s pure digital. WB is sure to show up at one of those shows.
    I'm not Taylor's biggest fan either but his two main projects have been Elseworld stories so while I think the Injustice comics were bad they also had the excuse of being forced to confine to the pre-set parameters the games setup. So I'm willing to see how he'd write Superman not in some Evil Superman or Zombie retread.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

How is his Suicide Squad?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yeah he finished up Injustice 2 and then the He-man crossover which I think was written by Tim Seeley, not Taylor. He’s currently writing DCeased and it’s sequels Unkillables and Dead Planet. Personally I really like Taylor for his work on Injustice and DCeased but I honestly think he should write a Green Arrow series, he seems to really like that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    How is his Suicide Squad?
    It’s very clear from reading the first handful of issues that, without spoiling anything, that Taylor is setting up some sort of bigger story involving who is running the Suicide Squad as Waller is gone and replaced by a mysterious new man named Locke. In fact besides Harley, Deadshot, and the recently returned Captain Boomerang the team is made up of entirely new characters who without spoiling anything appear to have a role to play in the story Taylor has in mind. I actually really like it because I’m intrigued where he’s going with it and I like the original characters because while I like the Suicide Squad I don’t like that they tried to make it a more traditional team when that’s something it shouldn’t be, so it adds suspense for it any of the team is going to make it.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-04-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    To be fair, all of his Superman projects to date have been dystopian because that's all DC would give him. He sounds genuinely excited about this so maybe this is him getting to do Superman HIS way. Do we know if there is even an Injustice 3 in the works?
    I don’t remember enjoying how he wrote Supes in that B/S three issue arc he wrote either. I just don’t really like his Supes. Maybe that will change, but his DC work has just left me cold. NRS is absolutely going to make Injustice 3, they’ve basically finished off Mortal Kombat 11 from what I understand. I2 was successful and there’s no reason for them not to continue the franchise, so it’s a matter of when not if.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    “Done” as in the last round of Injustice comics wrapped up? Yes. “Done” as in there will never be another Injustice comic? No there will be an I3 comic whenever the next game gets announced.

I don't know if basing his ability to write Superman off of his Injustice work is fair. That's supposed to be an evil wrong Superman. Doesn't mean the guy can't write a heroic Supes.

I mean how many evil Superman’s has he actually written it’s only been the entire Injustice series , his now famous DCeased Zombie, and the Darkseid corrupted Earth 2......okay I’m starting to see the problem now. Can we maybe add to this list Val-Zod, DCeased Jon, Pre-Zombie Clark, and Injustice 2 Conner Kent?

*for the record I’m doing this as a joke.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know if basing his ability to write Superman off of his Injustice work is fair. That's supposed to be an evil wrong Superman. Doesn't mean the guy can't write a heroic Supes.
    I’m not. I’ve read his Batman/Superman arc and DCeased as well. He’s just never done it for me.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Tom Taylor seems to be just as divisive among fans as Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Tom Taylor seems to be just as divisive among fans as Bendis.
    Nah I think the average fan views Taylor as good. I’m in the very small minority regarding his work. Taylor is the guy who writes the “pop culture” Superman. His Superman is “wholesome”, “inspirational”, powerful and very naive & stupid. Basically he writes a modernized John Byrne Superman is how I’ve come to see his work.

You definitely should’ve done a poll though lol.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't see any comparison with Byrne or Bendis, who are both known for such creative heights that their lows are baffling. He hasn't touched on the Superman they have yet

The chance of this being a Wally world story is strong though.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I remember liking Taylor's 3 issue arc on Batman/Superman, his flashback story that took place before the events of the first Injustice game and I found his take on Superman in DCeased to be solid. Despite his reputation for telling darker stories in the DC Universe, he has a lot of reverence for the hope and optimism that Superman represents as a character. He can write an optimistic, inspirational Superman but also portray the more vulnerable aspects of Superman's personality too. However, I do agree with the criticism that his Superman can be a bit too naive and Taylor has a very particular style of writing when it comes to comedy. His jokes and sense of humour is basically the same across his DC and Marvel bibliography which if you're not a fan of that kind of humour could be considered a turn off.

All that said, I would be interested in Taylor having an extended run on Superman. I doubt he'll be taking over from Bendis at the moment and to be frank I'm not sure I want Taylor to have to deal with the mess Bendis would leave behind. Maybe it's better if Taylor does an out of continuity run like Man of Tomorrow.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Possible update, apparently there was a listing for a new DCeased digital spinoff series on DC's site, but it got taken down earlier today: https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...eased_stories/

So it's possible this panel was just a preview of that and not a in continuity thing. Also the release date is next Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Possible update, apparently there was a listing for a new DCeased digital spinoff series on DC's site, but it got taken down earlier today: https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...eased_stories/

So it's possible this panel was just a preview of that and not a in continuity thing. Also the release date is next Tuesday.
    If it's more DCeased than my interest just sank like a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

Nguyen? The Lil’ Gotham guy? That panel looked nothing at all like his artwork, although maybe he’s just one of multiple artists?