Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Tynion will write Batman post 5G like Bendis probably will.

Bendis has said he wants to earn his stripes at DC. And that means making friends with management, being on time and follow into line with corporate events, which is easy for him since he comes from Marvel where corporate events are the norm.
    Tynion is a competent writer but not that big a name that he would pass a job like batman,the highest selling DC comic with the best royalties.

But king and Snyder are DCs heavy hitters, they have pull, they can't be forced into writing something they don't want to. Hence why Snyder didn't want his event to turn into a continuity clean up (like Didio did with Flashpoint) and why King was free to continue his run into his self contained mini.

A talent usually doesn't want to write other people s stories.

EDIT: Morrison is literally doing DC a favor with Green Lantern. Writing something different to keep the fans invested. But if we look at the future of green lantern Far Sector or Legacy is probably where 5G will spawn from.
    Last edited by Man_of_Tomorrow; 05-05-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

By the way, I hope the heroes becoming parents doesn't become the crutch DC falls into when they want to spice up a title.

It seems Jon for better or worse created a trend.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    What does it mean then that Tynion has been talking about his run like it’s more than filler?
    Why would a writer willingly call their run filler though? King got off the main book because they "needed some major DC stuff to be told in the Bat books". If it's ultimately a transition, it's still major stuff. As comparison, formation of the United Planets, the secret identity reveal, birth of New Krypton, and the truth about Krypton would all be happening in the transitional space, but you wouldn't consider that filler, right?

Edit: Lmao he just confirmed he’ll be on past issue 100. Sounds like he’ll be on for a while too. To me this says either 5G has been massively delayed or it’s being heavily reworked. https://twitter.com/jamesthefourth/s...196302339?s=21
    I mean, Batman's already at issue 91, right? And it double ships, right? Hitting past 100 isn't very hard. I imagine 5G is delayed, 100%, yeah. There's no way around that with what's going on with the world. And if Bendis is writing more Clark-Superman than he planned (he was asked during the pandemic), then I can only assume Tynion is doing much the same, so going past 100. Doesn't mean the shift still isn't being set up, and doesn't mean it isn't still going down.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-05-2020 at 04:34 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Recently King talked about 5G like it was still in the works:

"5g is in eternal flux as it should; they want to get it right."

https://community.dcuniverse.com/t/l...m-et/852226/53
    Not at all surprised. I mean, they've apparently already gotten competed issues for after the launch, have been planning this for years now, and WB/AT&T pushing for it. The idea that they'd back out seems kind of unlikely. That's time and money, and no alternative new sales boosting thing on the horizon. But they'll certainly rework it to make it go down relatively smoother I imagine.

Likely why Snyder's Death Metal sounds to be what kicks it off the new timeline with a bang rather than the more unknown Generation mini.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Why would a writer willingly call their run filler though? King got off the main book because they "needed some major DC stuff to be told in the Bat books". If it's ultimately a transition, it's still major stuff. As comparison, formation of the United Planets, the secret identity reveal, birth of New Krypton, and the truth about Krypton would all be happening in the transitional space, but you wouldn't consider that filler, right?

I mean, Batman's already at issue 91, right? And it double ships, right? Hitting past 100 isn't very hard. I imagine 5G is delayed, 100%, yeah. There's no way around that with what's going on with the world. And if Bendis is writing more Clark-Superman than he planned (he was asked during the pandemic), then I can only assume Tynion is doing much the same, so going past 100. Doesn't mean the shift still isn't being set up, and doesn't mean it isn't still going down.
    They wouldn’t it’s true. Still when Orlando was announced for WW, he talked about how whether or not his run would be long depended on fan reception. In contrast Bendis and Tynion seem to have been locked in for the long haul with their characters from the start. It’s not that I don’t think some manner of 5G won’t happen, it’s just that I wonder if Jon replacing Clark in the main books will still happen. You could easily just dump that stuff over into Superman: 5G as a future timeline book.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-05-2020 at 04:48 PM.

You could easily just dump that stuff over into Superman: 5G as a future timeline book.
    Last rumor I heard on any specifics was the idea that 5G would still take the books but it would be a slower roll out, and books with the classic heroes in their primes would were originally going to be featured in Black Label, but now may go over into the giant books. The digital first books we have now may even be a trial run for that format.

I'd personally be quite happy with like Yang or Taylor on a classic Superman book where they can just do solid adventure stories, and Bendis shifts into second gear with 5G Jon in the main books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So is there any visible 5G build up elsewhere that I'm missing?
    You may be surprised to learn that I think Green Lantern is in just as much "endgame" mode as Superman and Batman. When Morrison first came onto the book in season one he said that he envisioned the book as a tribute to the classic "make my own rules" cowboy like individualist hero type. He looks at Hal as sort of a dying breed of character that is out of place in the modern world, and this is shown in the story by Hal never feeling at home on Earth.

That reads almost like a swan song to me.

And Morrison has also just introduced new, younger Guardians that seem to be there to clash with Hal. He's almost a "man that time forgot" kind of character in that book, and it seems to be coming to some sort of head.

Can't say anything about Wonder Woman, or Flash though because I don't read their books at the moment.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Considering bendis didn't fully finish his first story about the invinsible mafia, I don't see how he is past his original plan.
    Maybe he would drop the Superman title. But Action is still in the middle of the plot.

EDIT. but I do agree he would wrap his run by the end of Death Metal.

Which will lead to 5G despite Snyders displeasure.
    I think we recently learned House of Kent is about Superman and his family directly taking on the mafia in Metorpolis. I think that's why this story is being told in Action Comics and not just Superman, because that book has been more focused on building up the mafia. So honestly, Bendis's story would be wrapped up at the end of that arc.

I don't think he'd have any loose hanging plots in his Superman run besides that from what I remember. There are small things like the fire fighter Melody running for mayor, but that doesn't need a whole arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You may be surprised to learn that I think Green Lantern is in just as much "endgame" mode as Superman and Batman.

Can't say anything about Wonder Woman, or Flash though because I don't read their books at the moment.
    I would be surprised to hear it! I thought Morrison was just doing his thing without aiming at an actual endgame. I really enjoyed season 1, which is amazing since I'm not a Hal fan, but I decided to trade wait season 2 so I'm not totally sure what's going on there.

I think I heard about the new Guardians....that does sound familiar, and I guess Hal's back on earth for a lot of this season. So, what, is the endgame just Hal galloping off into the sunset? Or.....star..set? I mean, that's sort of fitting for the whole maverick space cowboy thing I guess but there's not a lot of meat on that bone.

I can't speak for Wonder Woman either, but nobody seems worried about giving her the same kind of "next life step" send off Bruce and Clark are getting. I dropped the book (again) but it seems like her creative team is still a revolving door and as far as I know there's been nothing like her having a kid or getting married or retiring or becoming queen or any of that (I do try to keep up with developments). But Diana doesn't have the deep setting and status quo Clark and Bruce do, her world is constantly being re-imagined by creators who have no incentive to continue with what's come before, and she's immortal so maybe DC doesn't feel the need to endgame her.

And if Vordan is right and Kaldur becomes Aquaman, that's a 5G book I will actually buy! I've heard the current book is pretty solid but I'll grab trades when all the crazy ends. But Kaldur as Aquaman would get my money. Jon as Superman might get a shot, depending on the creators and the hook but Kaldur as Aquaman is an automatic purchase.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-06-2020 at 06:36 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I would be surprised to hear it! I thought Morrison was just doing his thing without aiming at an actual endgame. I really enjoyed season 1, which is amazing since I'm not a Hal fan, but I decided to trade wait season 2 so I'm not totally sure what's going on there.

I think I heard about the new Guardians....that does sound familiar, and I guess Hal's back on earth for a lot of this season. So, what, is the endgame just Hal galloping off into the sunset? Or.....star..set? I mean, that's sort of fitting for the whole maverick space cowboy thing I guess but there's not a lot of meat on that bone.

I can't speak for Wonder Woman either, but nobody seems worried about giving her the same kind of "next life step" send off Bruce and Clark are getting. I dropped the book (again) but it seems like her creative team is still a revolving door and as far as I know there's been nothing like her having a kid or getting married or retiring or becoming queen or any of that (I do try to keep up with developments). But Diana doesn't have the deep setting and status quo Clark and Bruce do, her world is constantly being re-imagined by creators who have no incentive to continue with what's come before, and she's immortal so maybe DC doesn't feel the need to endgame her.

And if Vordan is right and Kaldur becomes Aquaman, that's a 5G book I will actually buy! I've heard the current book is pretty solid but I'll grab trades when all the crazy ends. But Kaldur as Aquaman would get my money. Jon as Superman might get a shot, depending on the creators and the hook but Kaldur as Aquaman is an automatic purchase.
    I can't remember where I saw it, but I saw somewhere that Morrison's GL was cut a little short. I'll have to see if I can find it. Just a rumor in passing, so not sure if it's valid or not. It sticks out in my mind because who would shorten a Morrison book? Still though, I too have been hearing rumors of an endgame for GL.

I'm disappointed to hear that 5G is still a thing. Looks like my DC pull list is going to get a lot shorter. If the 5G thing is really happening, I can see Bendis sticking around for a long time. I can see him trying to do with Jon what he did with Miles. So I figure he's here for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I can't remember where I saw it, but I saw somewhere that Morrison's GL was cut a little short. I'll have to see if I can find it. Just a rumor in passing, so not sure if it's valid or not. It sticks out in my mind because who would shorten a Morrison book? Still though, I too have been hearing rumors of an endgame for GL.

I'm disappointed to hear that 5G is still a thing. Looks like my DC pull list is going to get a lot shorter. If the 5G thing is really happening, I can see Bendis sticking around for a long time. I can see him trying to do with Jon what he did with Miles. So I figure he's here for the long haul.
    It was going to be cut down from 12 issues to 9 issues, but after Didio got fired, they bumped it back up to 12 issues. Probably did that in order to buy themselves more time.

Thanks! Glad to hear it's still going 12 issues then.

It was going to be cut down from 12 issues to 9 issues, but after Didio got fired, they bumped it back up to 12 issues. Probably did that in order to buy themselves more time.
    And I'd imagine that when Grant Morrison says he'll do a certain number of issues, common sense is to let him write as much as he wants, not cut his run short.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So, what, is the endgame just Hal galloping off into the sunset? Or.....star..set? I mean, that's sort of fitting for the whole maverick space cowboy thing I guess but there's not a lot of meat on that bone.
    Yeah, seems like a ride off into the sunset sort of deal. I imagine it'll be similar to his ending for the New 52 Superman. He'll like leave on a note that give finality to normal stories as we know them for him, but implies that he'll move onto new crazy ones that we'll get to imagine. This'll leave it open so our 5G Lantern gets to bump into a legend out there at some point.

she's immortal so maybe DC doesn't feel the need to endgame her.
    This is very true. There was a point where it seemed like we may have found clues for a replacement during Wilson's run, but that seems to have been forgotten. They may end up having her take a seasoned mentor role in the new JL, and just keep her in her book, but drastically change what her life is like. Between her staring as the lead in Death Metal, her new movie coming out, and her being the only unanimously good DC movie made in nearly a decade, they may just bite the bullet on this one and keep her. It would also work as a softening of the blow for those that feel this is a blow to begin with.

That said, she is pretty much confirmed to be leading the JSA, and acting as their paragon. While I imagine if she were to stick around in the JL come 5G she'd "let the kids stumble" so to speak and not assume full on leadership as a counter balance to her leading the JSA, I'm not sure if that'll be their play. But then again, we see to be leading up to Jon being in the Justice League as Superman while also being in the Legion as Superboy, so the same idea may apply.

I mean, clearly they're doing much the same thing with Diana and Jon with the JSA and the Legion in a lot of ways, so this may continue that.

And if Vordan is right and Kaldur becomes Aquaman, that's a 5G book I will actually buy!
    This is something that's been debated quite a bit. No real news has been given regarding who will take over as Aquaman, but clearly the book right now is setting that up. The closest thing to a "clue" we have is that apparently Manpul is supposed to adapt his idea for Aquaman Earth One for the new guy. But that's something that could possibly be adapted to Jackson, so we really don't know.

I think we can likely toss any 5G rumors out the window. Some of those plans might still be on the table (if they were true to begin with), like Jon becoming the next Superman, but I think between Didio leaving and the pandemic and everything else, we probably shouldn't presume that any of the old news and rumors still apply. They might, but they might just as easily have been discarded in the re-shuffling that's happened since.

I'd believe that AT&T is still interested in pursuing the general idea of 5G, but beyond that.....I'm guessing all bets are off.

Regarding Diana....it seems like DC is really pushing and investing in her right now; she's got Dead Earth and Metal 2 and is being established as the first hero (if that still applies) and whatever else, so I can definitely see DC deciding to leave her in the role when everyone else is replaced (if that still happens). I can see them putting her in the League and JSA at the same time too; her brand would benefit the JSA and she's a League staple, and if she's the New Hot Thing the company is excited about it'd make sense to spread her around, especially if she's the only hero to have lived through all five generations.

As for Aquaman....it seemed that DC was really aware of diversity when thinking about replacements, and if the plan is still to replace everyone (it might not be) then DC would be pretty foolish to ignore Kaldur, who's black *and* gay. Of course, the idea of replacing everyone across the entire publishing line was a f*cking stupid idea doomed to fail in the first place, so who knows?

~ Black Panther.