Super Moderator

Default Pipeline - Aug 12, 2014

Augie revisits the ASL issue of "Supergirl," dives into the lawsuit over the term "Comic-Con" and looks at more of Todd McFarlane's Spidey.

Full article here.

All-New Member

Augie I respectfully disagree about the term "Comic Con" being an appropriate trademark, speaking in philosophical but not necessarily legal terms. "San Diego Comic Con" maybe, but "con" is just shortened slang for convention. It's as bad as trying to trademark "superhero".

I agree. "Con" isn't trademarkable. I think "Comic-Con", specifically, is a term coined by the group in San Diego and used exclusively by them for a long time. It was only in the last decade or so that other conventions began to appropriate the name, based on San Diego getting so big and being such a money-winner. Even the long-running Chicago convention at the Rosemont went with "Comicon." Phil Seuling's NYC shows were "Comic Art Conventions."

It's such a small difference, granted, but I think it's a trademarkable term and one they should have defended a long time ago. The fact that they haven't, though, by now has made it lapse into common usage. Their loss.

-Augie