Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Are Your Thoughts on Post Mike Grell Pre Connor Hawk Green Arrow?

Most Green Arrow fans are familiar with the character defining Mike Grell run as well as Connor Hawke's 36 issue stint as the Emerald Archer.

However, there is an era of Green Arrow comics that sits right between those two runs: Issues 81-101.

Looking on online, there is virtually no discussion of this period of the character.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on these issues.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 05-04-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Pretty decent and underrated.

Not as good as Mike Grell's stuff, it's more just standard Superhero stories, and Ollie not afraid to kill people when he needs to. It does have the most badass Green Arrow moment of all time. One of the best Anarky stories ever. And his teamups with Deathstroke was great.

The story where he dies was complete bogus though.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Most Green Arrow fans are familiar with the character defining Mike Grell run as well as Connor Hawke's 36 issue stint as the Emerald Archer.

However, there is an era of Green Arrow comics that sits right between those two runs: Issues 81-101.

Looking on online, there is virtually no discussion of this period of the character.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on these issues.
    Pretty forgettable to be honest, which is why it's not discussed much. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great and as the above poster mentioned the death story was bogus.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Always Rakzo

Chuck Dixon still wrote Ollie for some issues before Connor arrived and I believe he got a decent handle at him. Yes, the stories became a bit more of typical superheroic stuff but after years of Grell's interesting, but ultimately tiring grim and gritty run, this was appreciated, not to mention that Dixon also was able to create a good balance between classic hero stories along with the ninja mythos Grell introduced.

Now the little run in between Grell and Dixon, yeah, that sucked (so much that I don't even remember the name of the guy behind).

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Chuck Dixon still wrote Ollie for some issues before Connor arrived and I believe he got a decent handle at him. Yes, the stories became a bit more of typical superheroic stuff but after years of Grell's interesting, but ultimately tiring grim and gritty run, this was appreciated, not to mention that Dixon also was able to create a good balance between classic hero stories along with the ninja mythos Grell introduced.

Now the little run in between Grell and Dixon, yeah, that sucked (so much that I don't even remember the name of the guy behind).
    Kevin Dooley, who was also the editor responsible for Green Lantern Emerald Twilight.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Kevin Dooley, who was also the editor responsible for Green Lantern Emerald Twilight.
    Well, that explains that.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I enjoyed Chuck Dixon's run on Green Arrow!! (Particularly Connor Hawke)
    He started with #93 and stuck around till the end with #137 (A good run!)
    Dooley's Crossroads storyline wasn't highly regarded at all, but I enjoyed it! Anarky, Huntress, Deathstroke and Catwoman all made appearances.
    The only bit that DID stick in my paw later in Dixon's Ollie run was having him falling in with the Eden Corps so easily.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I recently re-read the GA series that Grell started and enjoyed it pretty much start to finish, with the possible exception of the Crossroads issues. I appreciated Grell's run so much more this time around and Dixon's run remains one of my favorite comics runs to date. IMO he was on fire during this period; BIRDS OF PREY, NIGHTWING, DETECTIVE COMICS and GREEN ARROW were my favorite titles at that time and Connor remains a favorite character of mine, one I greatly miss.

Astonishing Member

Dixon was okay. His work never wowed me -- so I can see why his issues aren't discussed much. I had no interest in Connor Hawke -- even less than Kyle Rayner.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Dooley's Crossroads storyline wasn't highly regarded at all, but I enjoyed it! Anarky, Huntress, Deathstroke and Catwoman all made appearances.
    The only bit that DID stick in my paw later in Dixon's Ollie run was having him falling in with the Eden Corps so easily.
    And that was probably the best Anarky story that I've read, but a lot of people probably don't know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I recently re-read the GA series that Grell started and enjoyed it pretty much start to finish, with the possible exception of the Crossroads issues. I appreciated Grell's run so much more this time around and Dixon's run remains one of my favorite comics runs to date. IMO he was on fire during this period; BIRDS OF PREY, NIGHTWING, DETECTIVE COMICS and GREEN ARROW were my favorite titles at that time and Connor remains a favorite character of mine, one I greatly miss.
    Don't forget his run on Robin as well! He really was at the top of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    And that was probably the best Anarky story that I've read, but a lot of people probably don't know about it.
    I was never a big fan of Anarky, but that issue really was exceptional!