View Poll Results: Do spoilers affect your enjoyment of a comic?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I don't care about spoilers

11 25.00%
  • It depends on the comic

14 31.82%
  • Yes, but not significantly

8 18.18%
  • Spoilers greatly affect my enjoyment

12 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    With some stories it's not as important. I'm sure a lot of us here are old enough to remember when spoilers had yet to be a thing, unless the kids in your neighborhood were reading the same comics as you were. Probably a major spoiler issue would be Gwen Stacy's death. Some versions of the story goes that even Stan wasn't aware of Gerry Conway's plans as he was more concerned about an upcoming business trip out of the country. Since my father would buy comics for us, it's not like I would have had a chance to thumb through the comics before I bought them as I would now. But I avoid that as much as I can while I'm driving home

One of the craziest endings to a series was Jim Steranko's Yellow Claw arc in Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD. And I won't spoil it for anyone here who hasn't read it! But it wasn't something that was promoted as a big deal beforehand. Probably the best way to do it.
    According to Fred Hembeck, Steranko gave away Gwen Stacey's death in his fanzine.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    According to Fred Hembeck, Steranko gave away Gwen Stacey's death in his fanzine.
    Didn't even know that he had a fanzine. At that time, my Dad was still getting comics from the local Rexall IIRC. We didn't get comic book shops in our area until later. I would imagine that circulation on the fanzine would be very small

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I'm more lenient on it if it's an older story (more than a year or so old). At that point the story is done and over with and, while not fun to have spoiled, it's almost expected.

For new comics, though? Stuff still ongoing? Yeah, spoilers will kill that for me.
    I voted for "depends on the comic" for similar reasons. Is it old? Then spoilers are fine. You could get spoiled on old stories by reading new ones, after all! New releases? Read the spoilers only after reading the actual comic - i.e. when discussing it here or on Reddit!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Some stories should have spoilers held back, especially if the ending of the story changes something. Obviously for many stories the ending is a foregone conclusion, but aspects of it need to be held in surprise. Secret Wars for example ended with the multiverse coming back (really? what a surprise) but details regarding Doom and Miles should have been kept secret.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Some stories should have spoilers held back, especially if the ending of the story changes something. Obviously for many stories the ending is a foregone conclusion, but aspects of it need to be held in surprise. Secret Wars for example ended with the multiverse coming back (really? what a surprise) but details regarding Doom and Miles should have been kept secret.
    Yes, this is true. I don't think I stumbled across any spoilers and in the case of SW I didn't want any. But given their history, you figured Reed would save the day in the end. You just didn't know how it would come about.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Yeah, Miles coming to 616 was spoiled before the event even started, as the two Free Comic Book Day issues that year were Secret Wars #0 and an ANAD Avengers story.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Boisterously Confused

In general, no. At the same time, I doubt this scene would have had a fraction of the impact it laid on me had I known it was coming:
    Image.jpg

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Yes, definitely. Like movies and tv shows, I really don't want to know what is going to happen.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    In general, no. At the same time, I doubt this scene would have had a fraction of the impact it laid on me had I known it was coming:
    Image.jpg
    This is a one of the best reasons for not having spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Image.jpg
    This right here
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”