Default Maul: The Missing years

So Maul of course escapes into hyperspace at the end of Clone Wars, eventually returning to Dathomir and leading Crimson Dawn. This also leads somewhat to his cameo in SOLO. Although it's nearly a decade after the events of Clone Wars, it's safe to assume Maul did largely the same thing he did in CR, although with the Empire around instead of the Republic, and Palpatine probably more focused on other things than keeping Maul in line (Would be nice to have a Vader vs. Maul thing though).

The big guestion is what happened between Solo and the second season of Rebels, another eight years. Maybe with Vos gone, and perhaps Jabba moving up in the underground (Although didn't Ezra use his Jabba nickname on Maul and he didn't recognize it? I might not be sure) he decided to check on some old Sith secrets and got stuck on Malachor, where he's found in Rebels, although it's unclear how long he's been there.

Wonder if there'll be some kind of followup on this. I'm not sure a Maul movie would work, Ray and Witwer are good and all but I'm not sure that'd carry a whole movie. I'm thinking perhaps a novel or Marvel comic series down the line is probably the most reasonable extension. A TV show I guess could also work out.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I was kind of hoping that they would continue the SOLO: A Star Wars Story that would cover Maul during that time.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

They should call the series "Better Call Maul"
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It does make you wonder if at some point the Empire really went after the crime syndicate Maul created and that led to his fall from power. You would think Maul would have florished in the outer rim post republic years as Palpatine took steps to really get the inner worlds under his complete control, but at some point the Empire would have went after Maul's syndicate to keep it from getting any stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It does make you wonder if at some point the Empire really went after the crime syndicate Maul created and that led to his fall from power. You would think Maul would have florished in the outer rim post republic years as Palpatine took steps to really get the inner worlds under his complete control, but at some point the Empire would have went after Maul's syndicate to keep it from getting any stronger.
    Not to mention he's a rogue Sith who knows almost everything about Sidius.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Funny thing is Dark Horse's old Maul limited series had Sidious use Maul to keep Black Sun in check.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Contextually we do know some of it.

We know that he's killed Inquisitors before because his current saber is made of scraps taken from dead ones, and those still kicking that find him on Malachor are sketched out that "The Shadow", which is a pretty boogey man name for a group of dark side boogey men to call someone, is standing in front of them. Topping that off he kills two more Inquisitors ... handily. I mean Maul effectively has killed more of the Inquisitorius percentage-wise than the rest of the galaxy. Even Vader, who was executing Inquisitors left and right in the beginning before he just began ignoring them completely. Accepting for the fact it's a big galaxy full of dark side users we've never heard of ... and spotlighting the Sith factor, there's a period of time 16 years long where Maul is the Third Most Powerful Known Dark Side User in the Galaxy. Palpatine foresaw that he had "no future", but that doesn't mean he wasn't a factor. The future he didn't have was a future at the top of the orthodox Sith food chain, in some "official I rule the galaxy, look it's signed by a notary" form.

We know that he's got the closest thing he could actually call a "home" in the corpse ruins of Dathomir where Talzin resided, and that nobody has disturbed it in all that time.

We know that he knows he can't defeat Darth Vader. What we don't know is if that's supposition based on his duel with Ahsoka Tano and his knowledge that Skywalker and Vader are one and the same (which would be pretty hard to confirm), or if at some point Crimson Dawn finally drew enough heat that Vader came down on them, Maul actually fought him, knew he couldn't win, and escaped, because if there's a thing Maul can do, it's scurrying away back into the shadows. But one could possibly suppose that there's like a "Prequel Shadows of the Empire" scenario, where Crimson Dawn draws heat, Vader comes in and just hammers it into the dust, and Palpatine elevates Black Sun and installs someone like a Legends Prince Xizor to finally keep the Underworld in line, all about 8 years BBY.

At which point, with no more power-base whatsoever, Maul spends the next three or four years transitioning from flight mode to "scorched earth policy" mode. The "Activate Sith Superweapons and Superlaser the entire Planet of Coruscant just to get One Guy" plan. And when that fails he goes into "What I really want is just to get this revenge on Kenobi" mode, which for all intents and purposes I really think was just the ass-backwards way Maul went about committing suicide.

So I'm not sure what's more interesting. The ten years where he's successfully laying low in the shadows slaughtering every Inquisitor that comes near him and running a criminal racket, or the four years where he's communing with the dark side on Dathomir and trying to unearth Sith superweapons for mad revenge after his racket must have come crashing down around him. Or the chunk of time he's just stranded on Malachor.

I think it's almost certainly got to be the period immediately after he reveals himself to Q'ira in Solo because Crimson Dawn has to be smashed shortly thereafter, and that's some like Mob Movie downfall of the Syndicate style drama.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 05-12-2020 at 06:44 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com