Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What she needs are guidelines. Right now writers haven't been restarting who is Wonder Woman. They need guidelines. What are some guidelines you guys think about?
    One of the main things needs to be maintaining her supporting cast. Writers would never think to completely ditch Lois, Jimmy and Perry every other writer so why does Wonder Woman's cast get shuffled every time? Then find one city and keep her in it. Superman has Metropolis, Batman has Gotham...even Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern...they have all had a consistent city. Wonder Woman...I dont even know what her residence is right now.
    There's got to be some consistency in her book from one year to the next.

As far as creative team...I would take Phil Jiminez back in a heart beat. Either pair him with a solid writer like Geoff or Gail Simone or give him a co-penciller like Xermanico or Jason Fabok.
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 05-12-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What she needs are guidelines. Right now writers haven't been restarting who is Wonder Woman. They need guidelines. What are some guidelines you guys think about?
    Make use of her pre-existing villains beyond Cheetah, Circe, and Ares. I like them well enough but no one would have cared about Batman's rogues if the only ones who got constant repeated usage where Joker, Riddler, or Penguin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Make use of her pre-existing villains beyond Cheetah, Circe, and Ares. I like them well enough but no one would have cared about Batman's rogues if the only ones who got constant repeated usage where Joker, Riddler, or Penguin.
    And it bears repeating: Not every Bat Rogue was a superstar from Day 1. Mr. Freeze is a classic example of this. If people start off their run by complaining that Diana’s Rogues suck and they’re going to make new ones, that’s usually a sign we’re in for a rough ride. Of course some new concepts and characters should be made, but if you can’t find any previous WW villains that interest you or make you think there’s potential, than you really shouldn’t be on WW.

Many villains have been made interesting. Almost any villain can be made interesting. Look at Cheetah.

One thing that is noted a lot of her villains seem to be doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And it bears repeating: Not every Bat Rogue was a superstar from Day 1. Mr. Freeze is a classic example of this. If people start off their run by complaining that Diana’s Rogues suck and they’re going to make new ones, that’s usually a sign we’re in for a rough ride. Of course some new concepts and characters should be made, but if you can’t find any previous WW villains that interest you or make you think there’s potential, than you really shouldn’t be on WW.
    Yes, a new villain to shake things up is fine (Veronica Cale for example) but if writer after writer had the same attitude about WW's villains as they did Bat's, characters like Catwoman, Riddler, and Freeze would be languishing in comic book limbo.

The issue with having new villians is the simple fact they are gone. Look at Silver Swan. Her story is never finished. Look at the Dark gods.

What are the core reasons for Wonder Woman not having consistency with her book? I hear this a lot on the forums.

Potential Writers

Neil Gaiman
    Scott Snyder
    Joshua Williamson
    Kelly Sue DeConnick
    Geoff Johns
    Warren Ellis

Artists

Bill Sienkiewicz
    J.H. Williams
    Esad Ribic
    Olivier Coipel
    Jock
    Jen Bartel

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magik Man View Post
    What are the core reasons for Wonder Woman not having consistency with her book? I hear this a lot on the forums.

Potential Writers

Neil Gaiman
    Scott Snyder
    Joshua Williamson
    Kelly Sue DeConnick
    Geoff Johns
    Warren Ellis

Artists

Bill Sienkiewicz
    J.H. Williams
    Esad Ribic
    Olivier Coipel
    Jock
    Jen Bartel
    Warren Ellis/Jen Bartel would be a dream creative team.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

It's not just Wonder Woman but come characters too. The DC writers don't have such restrictions. This is the reason why we need an editor.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Much as nobody wants to admit, comics are probably the last way Diana's star will rise to match her colleagues. Even as the source, we're niche. The brand and adaptions are where the leg work will be done here. Aquaman has been great in the comics since 2011 but it was the movies that made people take him more seriously, and even then it's mostly his actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And it bears repeating: Not every Bat Rogue was a superstar from Day 1. Mr. Freeze is a classic example of this. If people start off their run by complaining that Diana’s Rogues suck and they’re going to make new ones, that’s usually a sign we’re in for a rough ride. Of course some new concepts...
    WW needs some cool stuff, again! Cool, weird, funny stuff...
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Much as nobody wants to admit, comics are probably the last way Diana's star will rise to match her colleagues. Even as the source, we're niche. The brand and adaptions are where the leg work will be done here. Aquaman has been great in the comics since 2011 but it was the movies that made people take him more seriously, and even then it's mostly his actor.
    Yeah, even characters who dominate sales like Batman owe as much to media adaptations from the 60s show to the string of movies since '89 as much as they do the actual content of the comics.

I'm wondering how long it will take for her to get her own cartoon. Her first animated movie did well.

She definitely needs her version of a BTAS creative team, in that they dove into Batman’s history and honored it and updated it while revering it and creatively adding to it. In a way it’s easier to do with Batman, because there has been so many incarnations of him and his stories, you can approach him from perspectives that haven’t been done yet and audiences find new flavors of him to enjoy.

It’s more difficult for Diana, because she’s had fewer opportunities and incarnations, outside of comic books, for us to enjoy any incarnation for what it is instead of for what anyone thinks it has to be - if that makes sense. Batsy gets more leeway to be a lot of different tones and approaches.

In my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee, I’m embracing Marston’s fun-loving, empathetic, hope-filled, fiercely-progressive Diana, who is a catalyst for love and change, with the resonance and power of the Pérezian Wonder Woman, who understood that seriousness of the effects on people of being that catalyst, with the depth and breadth of Jimenezian Diana’s character and influence in the DCU, with the awesome action/adventurer of Simone’s Wonder Woman, who had a sly sense of humor. Then add a dash of Lynda Carter’s positivity and earnestness as the character with a pinch of Gal Gadot’s forthrightness and heart as Wonder Woman and style as Diana Prince and mix throughly with a couple of things I’ve always wanted to see in Wonder Woman and Diana Prince.

There are a lot of creators who have gotten a lot of aspects about Diana right, I just want to pull them all together, with a couple of surprises, to create a complex Wonder Woman and her world.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The lack of many truly definitive runs, and fewer still that organically mesh together, is a serious detriment for Wonder Woman. I think a well done animated series would be more successful than the mainline comics at distilling things down at this point. Comics wise, I think the closest runs we have gotten to "just right" are Jimenez and Rucka. Jimenez came the closest to truly meshing Perez and Marston, and Rucka did a more streamlined version of Perez with his Rebirth run that retained a lot of the better ideas. Much like BTAS drew from O'Neil/Adams and Englehart/Rogers, with a dash of Miller and Burton, and Spec. Spider-Man used Lee/Ditko/Romita and a mix of some previous other media incarntions, I think a WW cartoon should primarily draw from Marston/Perez/Jimenez/Rucka.

It's a shame Jimenez wasn't on speed dial to take over the book after Rucka's second run. He did great with Diana's villains the first time around, but this time he'd be inheriting less of a mess (post-Byrne). His original run also began as a 12-issue max-series pitch that was meant to be outside the main continuity before he was put on the main book. Maybe this could be dusted off and re-purposed at some point?