Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I enjoyed how Tynion wrote her and Circe in JL Dark, so I’d be cool with him getting a shot at the main book. KSD also wrote a good WW over in Aquaman, I’d be cool with her getting a chance to write the main title as well.

Agreed on both of these writers. Geoff Johns has finally found the right voice for Wonder Woman so I'd love to see him write the solo book.

As for artists, I'd go with one of the following: Ivan Reis, Amanda Connor, or Gary Frank.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Moore and Gibbons in their prime is great in theory, but Wonder Woman wasn't treated too well in FTMWHE. Not so much Mongul making sexist comments towards her (he's a villain and a horrible creature), but more so because the fight she loses is so one sided. If she had actually challenged Mongul a bit before losing the story would have been better for her.

Moore can write great/real female characters, but like Vordan said he also has some tendencies that creep in. On the good end of the spectrum we have Promethea and Abby from Swamp Thing, and the victims of Jack the Ripper being fleshed out in From Hell on the other end we have Neonomicon and the Invisible Man raping Pollyana in LoEG and it being played for dark laughs.

Yup. Moore had Mongul toss Diana around like a rag doll even after making her need an alien gun to take him on. It was like she was a mere human woman against him. It was my least favorite part of an otherwise fantastic story.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I get your point, but should you reduce the sales of a comic that averages 30,000 a month to “a small handful of a thousand”?
    It’s a bit hyperbolic I admit, but when you put the monthly sales next to the WW movie sales, one clearly outstrips the other no? I love comics and I want good WW comics more than anything, I love the comics medium more than movies. But when it comes to affecting public perception, the movies are far more impactful than the comics could ever be. It’s simply the truth, and trust me, sometimes I dislike that fact intensely.
    If we could get "Promethea" or "Swamp Thing" Alan Moore, I would be all over Moore on Wonder Woman. If he was on his A-game it would easily be a Top 5 run.
    But much like Morrison, he is much better suited for Superman and risk is involved when it comes to Wonder Woman. His brief few issues of Glory fell short compared to his longer run on Supreme, and the best ideas ended up in Promethea.

I think of the big three "British Invasion" creators, Neil Gaiman would probably be the safest bet on doing right by her.
    Gaiman would be great. His sensibilities are honestly perfect for WW. He loves mythology and he loves to play with the structure of storytelling in a way that I think would suit WW quite well. He’s got a good track record with female characters, better than both Moore and Morrison do. Hah, you’ve got me sad now that it will never happen, I’d love to see Gaiman work with WW!

Incredible Member

I'm not sure it's a certain "creative team" that's needed to make Wonder Woman more successful / higher profile so much as a dedicated editorial team with oversight over all Wonder Woman titles and appearances as well as much needed respect from DC Comics to establish a clear canon and mythology for Wonder Woman and resist the urge to keep rebooting the character, wholly or partly, each time a new creative team joins the title.

There are certain aspects of Superman and Batman's mythologies which are immovable (except in Elseworld titles): personal names, non-superheroic occupations, parents, base of operations (person and superheroic), supporting characters, including sidekicks, love interests and villains, etc. That's not true for Wonder Woman. Until it is, I think it's difficult for Wonder Woman to be as ingrained in popular culture and people's collective consciousness as Superman and Batman.

If you say "Superman" to your ordinary Jane / Joe on the street, they'll be familiar with Clark Kent the journalist, the Daily Planet, Metropolis, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, the Fortress of Solitude, Smallville and the Kent Farm and Superman's powers like strength, flight and heat vision. That's not true of Wonder Woman. Most people would struggle to recall anything about Wonder Woman other than the fact that she's an Amazon because so much of the character has been variable and easily disposed of or heavily changed over the years.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Screw a comic run. What she needs is a quality animated series.

Bloodlines was good in that it showcased a ton of her iconic characters and villains. it was like a snapshot of what a streamlined take on WW would be like, almost the equivalent of BTAS.
    The bad side is, it was badly rushed and crammed full. It combined the origin, the search for Themyscira, Vanessa's Silver Swan arc* and the battle with Medusa. That's enough material for like three seasons crammed into a short movie.

*And according to a podcast interiview with James Tucker, Bloodlines was originally going to be about Diana and Cheetah, but they switched it to the Silver Swan to avoid comparisons to WW84. He said it worked out for the best because Cheetah is overused, but I can't say the final product did much for Cheetah or the Kapatelis women, the former being a glorified camoe and the latter having Julia killed off and Vanessa's story rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Gaiman would be great. His sensibilities are honestly perfect for WW. He loves mythology and he loves to play with the structure of storytelling in a way that I think would suit WW quite well. He’s got a good track record with female characters, better than both Moore and Morrison do. Hah, you’ve got me sad now that it will never happen, I’d love to see Gaiman work with WW!
    I'm bumming myself out!

Though Gaiman would at least be far more likely than Moore. Has Gaiman ever expressed a desire to never work on superheroes again, at least not on ones owned by he big two? Since he's currently working with DC on curating the Sandman imprint, he clearly is willing to work with DC unlike Moore. I wonder if he'd take the job if he was given full control?

Sort of related to the Sandman, Mike Carey would be someone I'd like to see take a crack at her as well.

Of DC’s current crop of writers I’d guess the two I’d most like to see get a chance on an extended run would be Christopher Priest or maybe Mairghread Scott. She was involved in Bloodlines and that was reasonably good despite how much it crammed in.
    I think of the big three "British Invasion" creators, Neil Gaiman would probably be the safest bet on doing right by her.
    Hmm, now I’m disappointed this will likely never happen.

First things first Diana needs an editor. Who do you guys think would make a good editor?

It almost doesn't matter what creative team that takes the job, if the Bat-editors insist the succeeding team starts from scratch, squandering the emotional investment of readers in previously established characters.

That said, ..I would love to see Warren Ellis and Dale Eaglesham. I think Circe, an ancient sorceress heroine betrayed by her people, needs to be transformed into an evil Jenny Sparks sort - ala, Greg Rucka's Who-ish Circe. I think Diana and Etta's friendship, and NOT the thing with Steve, should be the centerpiece of the comic, ..with Steve and an interesting new male rival, on the side. I would expect Warren Ellis would define Diana's mission, like it's never been defined before, and that's exactly what this comic needs.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-07-2020 at 03:56 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    First things first Diana needs an editor. Who do you guys think would make a good editor?
    what office is she under right now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    It almost doesn't matter what creative team that takes the job, if the Bat-editors insist the succeeding team starts from scratch, squandering the emotional investment of readers in previously established characters.

That said, ..I would love to see Warren Ellis and Dale Eaglesham. I think Circe, an ancient sorceress heroine betrayed by her people, needs to be transformed into an evil Jenny Sparks sort - ala, Greg Rucka's Who-ish Circe. I think Diana and Etta's friendship, and NOT the thing with Steve, should be the centerpiece of the comic, ..with Steve and an interesting new male rival, on the side. I would expect Warren Ellis would define Diana's mission, like it's never been defined before, and that's exactly what this comic needs.
    I would LOVE to see Warren Ellis and Dale Eaglesham on WW. Even when I don't always necessarily agree with some of Ellis' creative decisions, he never fails to make them interesting. And while I wasn't necessarily a fan of Dale Eaglesham's work at first, the guy has definitely evolved into a fantastic artist.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I would LOVE to see Warren Ellis and Dale Eaglesham on WW. Even when I don't always necessarily agree with some of Ellis' creative decisions, he never fails to make them interesting. And while I wasn't necessarily a fan of Dale Eaglesham's work at first, the guy has definitely evolved into a fantastic artist.
    Warren Ellis defined his Authority cast, character by character, until each sparkled like a diamond. WHEN is some genius going to do that for WW and her arch-nemesis, Rucka's Who-Circe?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-07-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

What Wonder Woman needs is for editorial to actually care about her.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    what office is she under right now.
    The Batman office I think. She used to be under the Superman office, but Rucka refused to work under Berenza and got her moved. Sadly it hasn’t helped her as much as I hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Well said! When is that going to happen?

I think Warren Ellis would roll out the Queen of Fables, Doctor Cyber, new Warmaster, Termite Queen (now 'the Queen') and Doctor Psycho. These characters have very well defined motivations that threaten the free will of regular human beings. I don't think there would be anything nuanced or subjective about their ambitions...nothing left to interpretation. I think that is exactly what this comic and this superheroine, still struggling with definition for over half a century, ..desperately needs.

I think the Ellis/Eaglesham Etta would quickly become the most bada$$ sidekick in comics! I can see her, and I can imagine the dialogue Warren would write for her! Her friendship, with Diana, would be the comic event it should have always been.

I think Warren's directness and Eaglesham's clean, simple, powerful figures would redefine the comic, right up until the succeeding team would be forced, by WW's editors, to ignore everything they accomplished ..and start over from scratch. Because that's so productive...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-07-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    There are a few people on this sub forum who could do a handy job of that. What’s the standard size for an editorial office for high profile heroes??