Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I still think Johns should've taken over after Darkseid War. He would definitely make Diana a big deal. Scott Snyder too probably.
    I agree about Johns... His Diana during Darkseid War was pretty good and formidable, but she deserved more of the spotlight in that story. (He and Fabok's portrayal of the New Gods was epic too.) He gave us back Steve Trevor too and a great take on ARGUS that sadly didn't last long.

Johns does such a great job exploring and revitalizing foes too, that I'd have loved to see him work on Cheetah, Queen Clea, Villainy Inc., Doctor Cyber, Doctor Psycho and more.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 05-10-2020 at 10:12 PM.

I see people suggesting Johns. His ability to world build and use established lore and continuity to tell new stories is incredible and would be great for building a long narrative about the character. But the thing is, I have always gotten a distinct impression that he doesn't like Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I see people suggesting Johns. His ability to world build and use established lore and continuity to tell new stories is incredible and would be great for building a long narrative about the character. But the thing is, I have always gotten a distinct impression that he doesn't like Wonder Woman.
    I thought of the Trinity, he eventually got the point of writing her best by Darkseid War. His Superman is usually pretty generic and I liked his Batman in Earth One but that's one pretty different from the standard Batman in the main books.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I thought of the Trinity, he eventually got the point of writing her best by Darkseid War. His Superman is usually pretty generic and I liked his Batman in Earth One but that's one pretty different from the standard Batman in the main books.
    I have always liked/held a torch for the way Johns writes Superman. I feel like he has a handle on the character and the way he writes Superman's world with a mix of Silver Age and modern ideas with a bit of the Donner movies added in has always struck a chord with me.

It’s not so much that he doesn’t like her, as that he never really got into her. I don’t think he ever read any of her runs when he wrote JL, until Darkseid War where I believe he did mention reading some of her stuff, which is why his characterization of her improved.
    I have always liked/held a torch for the way Johns writes Superman. I feel like he has a handle on the character and the way he writes Superman's world with a mix of Silver Age and modern ideas with a bit of the Donner movies added in has always struck a chord with me.
    Ha! Well I’m glad it works for you.

I don't think he has a bad Superman take, I've enjoyed his Superman stories but sometimes just feels he's more interested in Lex Luthor than he is Superman when I read his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    ItÂ’s not a question of material, itÂ’s a question of sales. Can Diana sell well enough to sustain two ongoings?
    I think she could support two solo books. Now is the perfect time to really try it, anyway, given her rising profile (maybe "increased usage" would be a better term). I'd consider splitting the titles, with one focused more on the mythology and Amazon elements and the other title focused more on the politics and military sides of Diana. Diana's fans will support both (assuming the quality is there of course) and a tighter focus on certain themes might encourage fans of those subgenres to check out one of the books. This kind of thing has been tried with Bruce and Clark, and it seems to work well enough to try with Diana.

The question becomes, what does the franchise have beyond that? Obviously any book can do well with the right talent and hook, but assuming the stars *dont* align and give us that perfect storm of a comic? Donna is a huge mess and I wouldn't dream of giving her a book until she gets some TLC since I don't believe a lot of readers would be onboard for "here's a trade's worth of stories that do nothing but fix this character." Donna's rehabilitation is going to have to come in the form of subplots in Diana's own title. Cassie likely wouldn't do too well as a solo act either. She's got fans, but I don't think she's got enough to support a solo. And I think if we tried to pull Artemis away from the Outlaws, those Red Hood fans would riot.

We could get a Argus title, with Steve (and Etta, if DC is intent on leaving her as a soldier) in the lead. War comics are a tough seller in this market but I think if the book were thematically positioned between the League and the Suicide Squad, and pulled elements from both franchises and Steve was offered up as a quasi-kind-sorta Captain America stand-in, it *might* have a chance of surviving.

A book set on Themyscria might work....but it'd have to do things quite differently than Diana's titles do. I'd suggest Nubia as the lead character. That might generate enough curiosity to get readers to check out an issue or two.

There might be a place for Villainy Inc on the shelf too. Books like Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Deathstroke, Harley Quinn....there is success to be found in villain-led books and Villainy Inc might, maybe, find the right mix to be successful.

But honestly I don't think any of those options would last very long. If any of them made it to issue 25 without managerial protection it'd be a small miracle. The direct market just doesn't seem able to support stuff like that.

I'd rather see Diana get Sensation Comics back as a secondary book, and then see more effort put into out-of-continuity and non-direct market stuff. Diana does well with the YA crowd it seems, so push more stuff there; bookstore OGN's, stuff like that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I really thought G Willow Wilson would garner more reader support.

I think WONDER WOMAN could support 2 titles. A secondary title could be more high concept adventure stuff, while the main title is the superhero adventures of WW.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-10-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s not so much that he doesn’t like her, as that he never really got into her. I don’t think he ever read any of her runs when he wrote JL, until Darkseid War where I believe he did mention reading some of her stuff, which is why his characterization of her improved.
    I can see your point. Johns just not being into the character could be an explanation for why his writing for her was a bit suspect at times.
    Last edited by KC; 05-10-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don't think he has a bad Superman take, I've enjoyed his Superman stories but sometimes just feels he's more interested in Lex Luthor than he is Superman when I read his stuff.
    I can't say I agree in regards to him being more interested in Lex than Superman. Although, or me, it helps that Johns has an incredibly strong take on Lex. Johns and Grant Morrison are up there for me as two of the best writers for Lex in the modern era.
    Last edited by KC; 05-10-2020 at 07:47 PM.

I can't say I agree in regards to him being more interested in Lex than Superman. Although, or me, it helps that Johns has an incredibly strong take on Lex. Johns and Grant Morrison are up there for me as two of the best writers for Lex in the modern era.
    Agree with you on that, Morrison and Johns probably are in my top Lex writers across all eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Has this even been asked, or has any credible person from the company explained why that is? The unstated assumption I’m getting is that I’m guessing the higher ups either don’t think she has enough source material to warrant an independent editorial office, or that it’s not important enough to just be swallowed up under another. Flip flopping between the other two makes no sense.
    Well, the guy under Superman was alleged known for sexual harassment. He had his own file. It's said no woman could work in the Superman office. So she was sent to Batman's.

Phil jimenez = Writer and Jason fabok =Artist

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    I don't know if a "superstar" creative team could do that or not. WW just hasn't had the same kind of support and promotion over the decades like Superman and Batman have had. As far as the pop culture landscape goes, she's really only had the Lynda Carter TV show up until 2016-17. She's never had a solo animated series unlike Superman and Batman who have all had multiple shows, cartoons and movies going all the way back to the '40s. She needs a champion among the upper management of DC and WB who will fight for her. I agree that she needs a big crossover event focused on her and her world to get more eyes on the WW "family." Scott Snyder says she will play a big part in the upcoming "Death Metal" crossover, but that's really going to be more DC-centric that WW I believe. George Perez tried to give her that big event with the "War of the God" miniseries back in '91, but it got overshadowed by the "Armageddon" event. She needs a good writer with a long-term vision. Over the last few years, she's has a revolving door of writers and artists who never seem to stick around longer than five or six issues, maybe ten or twelve with the twice-monthly shipping schedule. Tom King committed to a 100-issue story on "Batman" (granted, DC cut it short, but he had the vision going in.) Bendis has been on the Superman titles for a couple of years now with no end in sight. WW really needs someone to come in a stay and build her world up and an editor who will tell the next writer not to disregard or throw out what the previous guy did.
    Full and Stop.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

What she needs are guidelines. Right now writers haven't been restarting who is Wonder Woman. They need guidelines. What are some guidelines you guys think about?