Incredible Member

Default The last god - thoughts?

Finally got round to reading this (im only up to issue 3 tho)

Impressed by:
    - production quality, extra page count, no ads or bumf stuffed in the end of the book. Each issue feels like a mini graphic novel.
    - art is very nice - has the feel of 1970s euro swords and sourcery

The story.. its clear a lot of work has gone into planning everything out - theres maps, different peoples, songs, text pieces. I dont feel.like im in the world much yet though as we're only following a couple of characters but there is time.

The staircase into the void is nice idea but the creatures coming out of it are so-so.

The plot has decent amount of intrigue - what really did happen the first time they went down the stairs, is the shamed character actually the hero. Has everyone been tricked for last 30 years? At minute story does feel a bit straightforward though - go down stairs, kill the beast, stop the plague - not much of a hook.

All in all - pretty good. Not amazing - but rock solid - and production values and art def add to experience.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I've been enjoying it but it's such a slow burn. It should've just been released as a tpb.

The monsters are eh. Not fully invested in them.

The characters are alright. So far the half elf guy and the old woman mage has my interest and her clone. I'm terrible with their names.

Art is beautiful.

I'm really enjoying it. You're right, it's not the most original or mind blowing piece of swords-n-sorcery fantasy, but it's got a clear voice and direction and a lot of effort has gone into the world building and it is all exceeding well done; it's a high level of craft.

I disagree about the monsters though. Sure, they're fairly Lovecraftian and fit that archetype rather cleanly without a ton of twists you wouldn't expect from such creatures, but they definitely do the job.

And I think you might find some interesting tidbits once you catch up. We're at what, issue 6 or so? I forget, but the last couple issues have started to provide some more background and information on the whole story and how we got to where we are and, well, it might not break the genre but it's damn interesting.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Def a lot of work gone into it and we've barely seen any of the map so far so. Im assuming once they defeat the god down the stairs its all going to really kick off on the surface world in dynastic wars.

Its def a nice idea that could turn into something really good as it goes along.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I like it. A lot. Not a lot to add that hasn't been said here.

Beautiful art, well developed characters, excellent pacing... Its a mildly predictable fantasy story but I LIKE the exploration of... "What happens when the "light warriors" or the "chosen ones" don't go through with the gig.

Ive picked up every issue so far, and I second the way the ads aren't mid book is an excellent change.

Its also a proof of concept in my mind that Dc has a whole lot of room for different types of books if they want to explore more product.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Incredible Member

Decided to look at the sales figures... and surprise surprise.. doing terribly. This is why we cant have nice things. Looks like it will take a miracle in trade sales to get another series out of this.

Eh, trades are where this book will do well, if it does well at all. Floppies in the direct market are just not the place for this sort of story anymore.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm really enjoying it. You're right, it's not the most original or mind blowing piece of swords-n-sorcery fantasy, but it's got a clear voice and direction and a lot of effort has gone into the world building and it is all exceeding well done; it's a high level of craft.

I disagree about the monsters though. Sure, they're fairly Lovecraftian and fit that archetype rather cleanly without a ton of twists you wouldn't expect from such creatures, but they definitely do the job.

And I think you might find some interesting tidbits once you catch up. We're at what, issue 6 or so? I forget, but the last couple issues have started to provide some more background and information on the whole story and how we got to where we are and, well, it might not break the genre but it's damn interesting.

You are right. Just read issue 5 and this is where it comes together with creation story. Before then you are thinking ok i assume this word means this, and this word means that which makes reading a bit tough but issue 5 pulls it all together. Now we've got everything hooked up and then it follows it up with The Engine which is just a really twisted mind melting idea.

Very good. It moves from 'some people fighting monsters' to something really twisted and cosmic.

Good work DC.
    Last edited by iron chimp; 05-07-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Glad you caught up. Not saying anything about the last few issues was tough.

~ Black Panther.

It's one of my favorite reads right now and among a handful of books I am buying as singles to support (rather than trade wait on). It's a solid fantasy comic and reminds of of the classic DC Bronze Age output where other genres than super-heroes were among their best books and made up a significant portion of their output. I wish they did more books of this ilk (and that the direct market were more receptive and supportive of such books). However, sales tell the tale and it seems the direct market doesn't want books like this or books outside the super-hero mainstream from DC, which is unfortunate.

I really enjoy the back matter in each issue, and that they brought in an artist with experience in tabletop rpg cartography to produce the maps, which are gorgeous. It's hard to plow original ground in fantasy, so a lot of it comes to finding a fresh take on established tropes and on execution-how well crafted the storytelling is, and Lat God excels in both of those aspects, which is what makes it appeal to me.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It's one of my favorite reads right now and among a handful of books I am buying as singles to support (rather than trade wait on). It's a solid fantasy comic and reminds of of the classic DC Bronze Age output where other genres than super-heroes were among their best books and made up a significant portion of their output. I wish they did more books of this ilk (and that the direct market were more receptive and supportive of such books). However, sales tell the tale and it seems the direct market doesn't want books like this or books outside the super-hero mainstream from DC, which is unfortunate.

I really enjoy the back matter in each issue, and that they brought in an artist with experience in tabletop rpg cartography to produce the maps, which are gorgeous. It's hard to plow original ground in fantasy, so a lot of it comes to finding a fresh take on established tropes and on execution-how well crafted the storytelling is, and Lat God excels in both of those aspects, which is what makes it appeal to me.

-M
    Putting aside a raft of other issues, one problem i see time and time again with breaking a new book is - 'you have to stick with it till issue x' or 'yeah it starts slow but once youre past the set up' - its an unreasonable demand to.put on a lot of readers.

With a novel - the maxim was youve got a paragraph to get readers interest piqued. But too many comics want an arc or 2 which is a lot of money and 6 months of yr time.

Alan moore, grant morrison, garth ennis are textbook at being able to get the reader fully invested in less than an issue. Im sure people can think of others who are very good at it too, but theres a lot of comics which fail at this first hurdle for me.

This is another one where for 4 issues- its ok im semi invested here and then issue 5 its ok youve totally got me now but by then youve lost half yr readers buying in single issues.
    Last edited by iron chimp; 05-08-2020 at 01:52 AM.

I like this book. I think it could be better but I do enjoy it. It's easily one of the most beautiful books out there. Clearly a lot of work went into the world building, which shows. I enjoy the histories and songs in the back as much as the main story. I really like the premise of the book. I do feel that it needs to pick up the pace a little. Plus is suffers from one of the big fantasy traps of a lot of characters with similar looks and names. I think the story would be better served if we saw less of the original party for now. Let us discover the truth as the new group of heroes discovers it and dish out the original "heroes" a little slower. Plus it would keep things on track better if we didn't jump back and forth so often. If they want a slow burn kind of story, bring out the what happened 30 years ago a little less and do a little more with what's currently happening. It doesn't feel like a big world shaking betrayal and desperate chase as people flee the terror when the truth is revealed. I do like it enough to stick with it.

Incredible Member

Yes those are good points.

There isnt much sense of apocalypse in the world - there should be trails of refugees heading to the pinnacle if its safe or heading to north west of the map as far away from stairs as possible. That would have given world more substance and emphasized the threat- at the minute it feels more like a story of redemption for the original characters than a battle for existence.

The multiple issues of back and forth in time is also tiring at this stage - meeting so many characters and foreign names and jumping around in time too makes it a little difficult to keep track of everyone. A separate side plot in current timeline might have worked better.

I think its interesting how one could tweak things to take the book from really good to something that could break out bigger and those are def. a couple of areas to help break the reader into the story more easily.