Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Convoluted Xmen- your favorite/least favorite aspects

Xmen lore is rich of course but we all know it is very complex for lack of a better word. While its not unimaginable that a superhero team would deal with many different things or threats, sometimes there seems to be needless convolution in the form of deus ex machina type magic, cosmic fire bird entities, space travel and aliens, time travel, demons and different dimensions. I guees to some its interesting but the way some of the stories are written leaves some fans scratching their heads. I know some of us like the outlandish all encompassing stuff while others prefer the more grounded.

Whats your preference? What are some of your favorite and least favorite aspects of the Xmen? What would you take and what would you leave? How would you alter certain stories to fit your new narrative?

BANNED

My most favourite aspect of X-Men, is that it's in the wider Marvel Universe and often has to adhere to their importance.

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    My most favourite aspect of X-Men, is that it's in the wider Marvel Universe and often has to adhere to their importance.
    I love you.

As for me... anything with Scott Lobdell's name on it. "X-Cutioner's Song", "Fatal Attractions", "Phalanx Covenant", "Age of Apocalypse", the "Onslaught" saga, "Operation: Zero Tolerance", "Eve of Destruction" ....the fact that most of this is better known than a lot of Claremont's run is just sad.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Like damn near 95% of media I get into, there are certain characters I love & get invested in.

Least favorite aspect tends to be the ruining of those characters. lol Either they turn into jobbers & laughingstocks or get attached to terrible love interests that make them look pathetic. In some cases, both.

I always had the worst luck there. Even down to something like Wrestling this has happened. Only fav who's been consistently entertaining there for me was The Undertaker. Sadly he's about to check out & doing his swan songs now.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-06-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Lol yAAAAAs!
    GrindrStone(D)

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I hate resurrections

Also, when every character turns interchangeable with any other, because all of them speak the same way, say the same things, are equally heroic and supergifted, and so on.

Lobdell-effect in general

My favorite aspects usually have place when they're diverse and grounded, and when plots and characters grow organically.

I wish mutations were more unique. There are too many telepaths, teleporters, pyrokinetics, and healing factors.

BUT

I hate powers that are needlessly complicated, like “igniting the electrolytes in your blood, once it’s been exposed to oxygen”.

AND

I wish X-Men were casually aware of students’ potential, and were clear about that. Glob is a paraffin transmorph. He SHOULD be able to transform back to human form, but he’s too lazy and scared. Beak looks more human when he’s more confident. Etc etc.

ALSO

I hate all the time-travel.

AND

Under-developed alternate organizations. The Assassins and Thieves of New Orleans. The Hellfire Organization prior to Krakoa.

BECAUSE

What I hate most is monotonous insularity.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I wish mutations were more unique. There are too many telepaths, teleporters, pyrokinetics, and healing factors.

BUT

I hate powers that are needlessly complicated, like “igniting the electrolytes in your blood, once it’s been exposed to oxygen”.

AND

I wish X-Men were casually aware of students’ potential, and were clear about that. Glob is a paraffin transmorph. He SHOULD be able to transform back to human form, but he’s too lazy and scared. Beak looks more human when he’s more confident. Etc etc.

ALSO

I hate all the time-travel.

AND

Under-developed alternate organizations. The Assassins and Thieves of New Orleans. The Hellfire Organization prior to Krakoa.

BECAUSE

What I hate most is monotonous insularity.
    I'd love to see some students be developed like in My Hero Academia. Some people with powers that look dumb are able to develop them to be super useful in that universe. Glob's paraffin and the ability to become a human torch would make him a pro hero in that universe. I wouldn't like them to lose fisical mutations completely tho.

I also hate time travel.

Extraordinary Member

Husk saying that mutants can’t get AIDS. Worst idea ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I also hate time travel.
    I don’t mind DOFP, not just because it’s the first real time travel story, but that it’s a future that results from the miscalculations of X-Men. Timetravel is about anxiety and regret. Cable, Bishop, Shatterstar, etc all come from less interesting locations specifically because they aren’t directly related to the anxieties of the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Husk saying that mutants can’t get AIDS. Worst idea ever.
    That felt like something that Austen threw in as an afterthought after someone pointed out the awkwardness of Angel bleeding on people to heal them.

I liked Cable best when he was just some badass cyborg dude who didn’t seem to have powers beyond being badass and well armed. There. I said it. X-Tinction Agenda was my first exposure to him, and all the crap that came afterwards, while making him more essential to the X-men mythos I suppose, made him a highly convoluted mess of a character to get into. Having said that, the Deadpool 2 film did a nice job streamlining the character. While he’s still from the future, it wasn’t even evident that he had powers at all. When he “pulls” his gun to him at one point, you don’t know if that’s telekinesis or some sort of magnetic field (like Captain America uses with his shield). And his force field is clearly tech based and not TK.

Having said that, it’s probably too late to change who he is now. In terms of parentage and where he comes from. But I suppose they could make him more interesting in the new DoX set up somehow. Instead of being just another psychic, they could do something different with him. Once Kid Cable goes back to the future (hopefully soon), they can resurrect the real deal using the powers of The Five and alter him. For example, I wanted to see what a completely T-O virus free Cable would’ve been like after X-Sanction, when Hope cured him. And during Spurrier’s run which came after that he only had slight precognition, essentially a glimmer of his former telepathic ability, and no telekinesis. That was interesting. So was the time during Carey’s run when he was using technology to mimic his lost powers (via an internal Infonet system and the Cone of Silence forcefield).

Perhaps they bring him back sans T-O virus. But since his powers have been shown to burn him out and kill him without anything to regulate them, The Five alter them. Limited to mild precognitive flashes and tactile telekinesis (which basically just enhances his strength). Have him use tech to further enhance himself. I loved his onboard computer/AI he had during Uncanny Avengers (Belle). Maybe bring that back or The Professor program. Some sort of system like that. And a forcefield generator in a gauntlet on his left wrist for defensive purposes. That could be cool IMO.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 05-07-2020 at 07:22 AM.

BANNED

that it's stuck a on a weird limbo of havin an invisible barrier betwen x-men books and the rest of marvel, but not strong enough to stop the rest of marvel to leach off its concepts and characters.
    I want the x-men to be left to their own universe

Psylocke is so convoluted I gave up.

Time travel is not convoluted, but literally broke because they've used it for so much.

05 rehash is a major problem. A book about diversity has an all white, most male team, that got originally got cancelled... but yet gets chance after chance after reboot after revamp etc.

Jean, Maddie, Rachel, Hope... seriously? We need every version of the character? Cable, Nate Grey, Kid Cable... Wolverine, Sabretooth, X-23, Daken, Honey Badger...
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Psylocke is so convoluted I gave up.

Time travel is not convoluted, but literally broke because they've used it for so much.

05 rehash is a major problem. A book about diversity has an all white, most male team, that got originally got cancelled... but yet gets chance after chance after reboot after revamp etc.

Jean, Maddie, Rachel, Hope... seriously? We need every version of the character? Cable, Nate Grey, Kid Cable... Wolverine, Sabretooth, X-23, Daken, Honey Badger...
    When adult Jean came back, I was hoping to see a grand reluctant team up of Jean, teen Jean, Hope, Rachel and Maddie against a common threat.