Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

As for flooding the shelves, I do think there was a lot of punting on any old idea from marvel especially, very short runs and secret minis just support that idea for me, an awful lot of books just suited being digital only imo

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I am thinking in this way myself

I don't buy digital and floppy of the same title

I'm not inclined to punt on smaller books in print anymore and the shift of done books mid run to digital has really annoyed me, though I understand it's exceptional circumstances I can see this happening again in the future

With that in mind it's really convinced me not to punt on smaller titles anymore in any format from the big two

I don't mind trades waiting for smaller press, but my enjoyment of the back g two is in visiting the universe rack week, trades don't do that

And as far as digital, whilst I can see it's attractions for some, it's not a format I particularly enjoy reading issue by issue, reading big runs of older stick I do enjoy

So since I like visiting the big two week by week, but I don't like doing that digitally, I can only see my purchases becoming practically non existent soon

Smaller press I think is going to get my money

I will continue to support the Big 2.....or Big 1 (since im not a DC fan) but instead of buying lets say every damn tie in for a series or event, i will just buy the core series, and maybe a few tie ins, the ones i like. which is the way i use to be. over the past couple of years my collecting has become "fat and bloated" buying books i really don't care for, books which i think suck just to complete a "full" story. half the crap I was reading I would ask myself "why? did i buy this" which my OCD would justify with "completeism bitch". I definitely will be whittling down my Marvel purchases significantly after this sticking to the Legacy Titles and maybe a mini here or there. Marvel should have just bit the bullet and finished these books in floppy format and THEN focused on doing digital exclusive content afterwards.

oh well its what they chose to do, its their company, but its my money they wont get, and ya know what? half of these books are easily forgettable anyway. It wouldve been nice to read their conclusions. In the longrun i wont be loosing much sleep over it either
    Last edited by omegafix; 05-27-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Funny how neither Ms. Marvel nor the Wasps (both of them) who are based in New Jersey speak like that.
    Jersey born and raised since (1973)
    Last edited by omegafix; 05-27-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    I will continue to support the Big 2.....or Big 1 (since im not a DC fan) but instead of buying lets say every damn tie in for a series or event, i will just buy the core series, and maybe a few tie ins, the ones i like. which is the way i use to be. over the past couple of years my collecting has become "fat and bloated" buying books i really don't care for, books which i think suck just to complete a "full" story. half the crap I was reading I would ask myself "why? did i buy this" which my OCD would justify with "completeism bitch". I definitely will be whittling down my Marvel purchases significantly after this sticking to the Legacy Titles and maybe a mini here or there. Marvel should have just bit the bullet and finished these books in floppy format and THEN focused on doing digital exclusive content afterwards.

oh well its what they chose to do, its their company, but its my money they wont get, and ya know what? half of these books are easily forgettable anyway, wouldve been nice to read their conclusions, but i wont be loosing much sleep over it either
    It's more likely that I'll just not try out smaller titles from them now,

Though to be honest with marvel I'm currently only getting FF as it is, but this shifting mid run, which I fear might now become a more common practice, means I'm not buying in on smaller characters or titles

I have up on marvel events after cw2

I'm not going back on that

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Looks like Scream and Valkyrie are cancelled when they finish their next arc then.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...-digital-only/

Here's the schedule

Wednesday, June 3:

AVENGERS OF THE WASTELANDS #5
    REVENGE OF THE COSMIC GHOST RIDER #5
    2020 FORCE WORKS #3
    SCREAM: CURSE OF CARNAGE #6

Wednesday, June 17:

VALKYRIE: JANE FOSTER #10
    ANT-MAN #5
    2020 IRONHEART #2
    GHOST-SPIDER #10

Wednesday, July 1:

HAWKEYE: FREEFALL #6
    MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN: THE BLACK CAT STRIKES #5
    RAVENCROFT #5
    STAR #5

Note that those are the weeks without physical floppy releases.
    Scream kind of dodges the bullet as the first 5 issues can easily make up a trade.

But this news does indicate the writing is on the wall regarding the titles listed. The only thing saving Morbius is the upcoming film. I will not be surprised to see a further contraction of Marvels publishing slate. The core books will be the main focus for the next few months.

Astonishing Member

As for flooding the shelves, I do think there was a lot of punting on any old idea from marvel especially, very short runs and secret minis just support that idea for me, an awful lot of books just suited being digital only imo
    The look and feel of Hawkeye: Freefall had me thinking it was digital when it was announced. Similar to the ones they did for Cloak & Dagger, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. Might have been better if it was.

What I love is how some people who complain about Marvels and Dc putting out crap books and having too many print titles are also upset that some of those titles are going digital. I will give an example.

My local comic shop owner has a server on Discord. I dont go on it much because I dont like spending a lot of time online. But there are people who do not read Jane Foster and Hawkeye Freefall. They do not buy the issues they just for whatever reason have nothing to do with them. But they are going nuts that they went to being online only titles. I dont understand that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What I love is how some people who complain about Marvels and Dc putting out crap books and having too many print titles are also upset that some of those titles are going digital. I will give an example.

My local comic shop owner has a server on Discord. I dont go on it much because I dont like spending a lot of time online. But there are people who do not read Jane Foster and Hawkeye Freefall. They do not buy the issues they just for whatever reason have nothing to do with them. But they are going nuts that they went to being online only titles. I dont understand that.
    Comic books like DVDs, toys and other items are impulse buy items upon being seen.

Person goes into the store to buy say Miles Morales, While looking they see Hawkeye Freefall or the variant cover to Go Go Power Rangers-they buy it. That store sold 2 more books.

I do book on Final Order Cutoff. So I have a set of books there already paid for. I do go check the shelves because there are books that don't get listed on FOC. Oh look there is the Larry Stoman variant to The Man who BLEEPED up time or the Source comic from Scout that goes for blood money on Ebay.

The more books that go digital the fewer chances of impulse buys at the store you get.

Also for some stores those two books do sell out the copies ordered. So that is more money being taken from a store that does not have issues selling them.

Good point, some stores will owe customers refunds on those books now, because they pre-paid for issues that the shop can no longer order.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Comic books like DVDs, toys and other items are impulse buy items upon being seen.

Person goes into the store to buy say Miles Morales, While looking they see Hawkeye Freefall or the variant cover to Go Go Power Rangers-they buy it. That store sold 2 more books.

I do book on Final Order Cutoff. So I have a set of books there already paid for. I do go check the shelves because there are books that don't get listed on FOC. Oh look there is the Larry Stoman variant to The Man who BLEEPED up time or the Source comic from Scout that goes for blood money on Ebay.

The more books that go digital the fewer chances of impulse buys at the store you get.

Also for some stores those two books do sell out the copies ordered. So that is more money being taken from a store that does not have issues selling them.
    Plus it has certain people on edge. We know the top tier books are relatively safe. But there are still those mid level titles (Not low enough to be cancelled or high enough to be considered safe) that could end up getting digital as well. Then you have the fear that, once more titles go digital, how long until Marvel decides to abandon the format entirely?

While I think Marvel and DC do flood the market, I also recognize that those books have their fans. I just feel the way forward is to focus on quality over quantity. It is sad to admit, but I think the comic market needed a kick up the ass. It may not have reached the excess of the 1990s, but it was getting pretty damn close.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 05-28-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

Personally I am more inclined to punt on digital if it is only available that way, I'll always prefer print. But I would read digital if it was exclusive to that format and if it was significantly cheaper to reflect the fact I don't really own anything from it.

As for your post specifically, not seeing what they have said I still get the idea of why they are irritated. These were not titles I was buying, but the tactic still annoys me. I also think it's a tactic they will likely re use in future.

That said if people who are reading the books are okay with this and will be happy with it, then I'm glad for them.
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-28-2020 at 04:32 PM.

So put this out there as a thought. MY LCS owner said he thinks part of the problem may be that there are limited numbers of printing companies to print the books out there, so that may play a part in some lower selling titles going digital? We were discussing Ravencroft, which was selling pretty decent at my LCS.

Ultimate Member

Personally I am more inclined to punt on digital if it is only available that way, I'll always prefer print. But I would read digital if it was exclusive to that format and if it was significantly cheaper to reflect the fact I don't really own anything from it.

As for your post specifically, not seeing what they have said I still get the idea of why they are irritated. These were not titles I was buying, but the tactic still annoys me. I also think it's a tactic they will likely re use in future.

That said if people who are reading the books are okay with this and will be happy with it, then I'm glad for them.
    I can understand doing that to a new series but not books that have already been out and in the middle of an arc. because some stores have had folks Pre PAY for those.

Not to forget those print subscriptions like I have with Miles Morales.

That is money someone has to refund.

Extraordinary Member

No thanks. Not interested in digital. The limited series should be finished hard copy at the least.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    So put this out there as a thought. MY LCS owner said he thinks part of the problem may be that there are limited numbers of printing companies to print the books out there, so that may play a part in some lower selling titles going digital? We were discussing Ravencroft, which was selling pretty decent at my LCS.
    It is certainly a contributing factor. You have a backlog of releases to get out, but only so much time and printers available to get them printed, what do you do? Do you risk the money makers falling further behind while you keep to the pre-covid schedule, or do you sacrifice the lower sellers to get the big franchises back on track?