Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Runaways is is a weird spot. It's a low-selling title, and the most recent issue was the end of a long arc that left the characters in a place of unknown future. It is however known that the next two issues are more or less ready to print, and the rest of the arc has been scripted to take the series to #38.

They could just call it there, and not publish the two issues of the next arc. It isn't exactly common, but it wouldn't be the first time a series ended with completed issues that never see the light of day.

They could try to publish the two finished issues with no intention of completing the arc. Digital or print it wouldn't be the first time a comic ends in the middle of a storyline.

They might just sit on the new arc until the market stabilizes. If you have to take an elongated break between issues, Runaways is in a good spot to do it. It could come back 6 months down the road with an issue #32 or maybe even a new #1, and resume as intended to reach the legacy #100.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Runaways is is a weird spot. It's a low-selling title, and the most recent issue was the end of a long arc that left the characters in a place of unknown future. It is however known that the next two issues are more or less ready to print, and the rest of the arc has been scripted to take the series to #38.

They could just call it there, and not publish the two issues of the next arc. It isn't exactly common, but it wouldn't be the first time a series ended with completed issues that never see the light of day.

They could try to publish the two finished issues with no intention of completing the arc. Digital or print it wouldn't be the first time a comic ends in the middle of a storyline.

They might just sit on the new arc until the market stabilizes. If you have to take an elongated break between issues, Runaways is in a good spot to do it. It could come back 6 months down the road with an issue #32 or maybe even a new #1, and resume as intended to reach the legacy #100.
    I'm convinced Runaways kicks ass Digitally it's the only reason that explains why it has yet to be cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I'm convinced Runaways kicks ass Digitally it's the only reason that explains why it has yet to be cancelled.
    It seems to be a combo of: Digital issues outselling print by about Three-to-One, Digital/Print collections of the current series being excellent when considering the low single issue sales, and BKV's run having never really dwindled in popularity so the older stuff sells well.

But I do have to imagine there's a point in which the print singles sell poorly enough, that none of those other factors make up for it.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I. Think this might be the final nail in the coffin for me as far as collecting print books. I fully expect savage avengers to be cancelled soon; this pretty much leaves me with spider man and avengers on my regular pull list., and it’s not worth it to me to collect two books a month. I simply don’t trust marvel anymore, and I’m pretty much done with dc. I may go digital, or wait until trade collections, but I think marvel’s headed to digital only. I’m done with This..
    I'm sorry. As a fellow comic reader, I feel your disappointment. This is a really tough/weird time for the comic industry. I wouldn't give up just yet; but I understand if you want to stop collecting print.

I made the jump to digital too when I stopped collecting everything except for Amazing Spider-Man, and I gotta say that it's been a blessing! Maybe it might be good.

It seems to be a combo of: Digital issues outselling print by about Three-to-One, Digital/Print collections of the current series being excellent when considering the low single issue sales, and BKV's run having never really dwindled in popularity so the older stuff sells well.

But I do have to imagine there's a point in which the print singles sell poorly enough, that none of those other factors make up for it.
    I wonder if that's going to be a major factor for Marvel going forward: taking a deeper look at the secondary market of bookstores and trade paperbacks. If they make a lot of their money on certain series from there, I wonder if they need to embrace that more.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I. Think this might be the final nail in the coffin for me as far as collecting print books. I fully expect savage avengers to be cancelled soon; this pretty much leaves me with spider man and avengers on my regular pull list., and it’s not worth it to me to collect two books a month. I simply don’t trust marvel anymore, and I’m pretty much done with dc. I may go digital, or wait until trade collections, but I think marvel’s headed to digital only. I’m done with This..
    This will definetly define my future purchases. I doubt the "Legacy" titles would ever go full digital. Ive done floppys since 1980, not changing now. The era of flood the shelves with crap i think may be over
    Last edited by omegafix; 05-27-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    This will definetly define my future purchases. I doubt the "Legacy titles would ever go full digital. Ive done floppys since 1980, not changing now. The era of flood the shelves with crap i think may be over
    As much as I agree that most of the books that Marvel puts out aren't at their best, I do know that every book is someone's favorite - even the ones we may think of as "crap."

Incredible Member

Cosmic Ghost Rider has 1 issue left they couldnt just give us 1 floppy

This is the part i really love about all this.

"These comics will only be available as digital comics for the time being; however, they will be available in print collections later this year for fans looking to add them to their Marvel bookshelves," the publisher re-itterated in today's announcement. "More information about these comics will be shared at a later date."

https://www.newsarama.com/50339-thre...ital-only.html

Why would anyone in their right mind pay what i'm assuming is going to be full price for the TPB just to get the one issue they're opting not to release as a floppy? I could see it for people who normally trade wait anyhow but otherwise Marvel must think people are either A. Extremely comitted to their brand or B extremely gullible to pay full price for the trade in essence to read one issue.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Why would anyone in their right mind pay what i'm assuming is going to be full price for the TPB just to get the one issue they're opting not to release as a floppy? I could see it for people who normally trade wait anyhow but otherwise Marvel must think people are either A. Extremely comitted to their brand or B extremely gullible to pay full price for the trade in essence to read one issue.
    It's not that odd of an occurrence. It isn't unusual for a reader to give up on an arc before it's finished only to later want to complete it. Sometimes you can hunt down an issue while it's still at cover price (or possibly more/less), but often it means buying a TPB that largely consists of material you've already read. It's already a pricey hobby, but many readers are more than accustomed to having to double-dip every so often. This situation isn't ideal for everyone, but readers who want to read the final part have the option to. It doesn't affect trade waiters in any way, and many readers will choose to buy the digital version.

Ultimate Member

This will definetly define my future purchases. I doubt the "Legacy" titles would ever go full digital. Ive done floppys since 1980, not changing now. The era of flood the shelves with crap i think may be over
    Define crap.

Just because comicgate and entitlement fans hate certain books for existing does not mean they are crap.

As we have seen some of the most hated books by BOTH groups have found audiences elsewhere.

Moon Girl & Squirrel Girl has 9+ trades. Not Sue Storm, Wonder Man, Hercules and the other privilege characters who don't get threads that bash their existence.

At various points in time those two along with others have beaten EVERY DC character including THE BAT in trade sales.

Since Marvel gets the plum spots on the shelves and certain books get over ordered because they say a certain name. Marvel lower the book numbers-guess who complains.

If one reads Runaways and it goes digital first and trade later. I have no need to go to the comic book store for a book I can get CHEAPER off Amazon.

If I can wait for one trade like Runaways, I can wait on Venom, X-Men, Cap America and Deadpool.

Now you might say what about other titles you buy? If I buy certain Image books-they take breaks between arcs.

So guess who will be the first take issue with digital first and trade later. Especially when it's those so-called crappy books some have issues with.

Incredible Member

It's not that odd of an occurrence. It isn't unusual for a reader to give up on an arc before it's finished only to later want to complete it. Sometimes you can hunt down an issue while it's still at cover price (or possibly more/less), but often it means buying a TPB that largely consists of material you've already read. It's already a pricey hobby, but many readers are more than accustomed to having to double-dip every so often. This situation isn't ideal for everyone, but readers who want to read the final part have the option to. It doesn't affect trade waiters in any way, and many readers will choose to buy the digital version.

Well two things.

#1 i'm not disputing comics are an expensive hobby but to me paying full price for a TPB when you've purchased all but one issue in a six part series is absurd unless you just really want the TPB on your shelf.

#2 Imho people who are championing the digital format for comics are greatly underestimating peoples willingness to simply walk away from comics altogether if faced with a digital, TPB or nothing scenario. Don't get me wrong i like reading my comics but this is far from my only hobby and if my options to read them are going to be so limited i and i don't belive other people will hesitate in the slightest to move on from this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Well two things.

#1 i'm not disputing comics are an expensive hobby but to me paying full price for a TPB when you've purchased all but one issue in a six part series is absurd unless you just really want the TPB on your shelf.

#2 Imho people who are championing the digital format for comics are greatly underestimating peoples willingness to simply walk away from comics altogether if faced with a digital, TPB or nothing scenario. Don't get me wrong i like reading my comics but this is far from my only hobby and if my options to read them are going to be so limited i and i don't belive other people will hesitate in the slightest to move on from this hobby.
    A.) I agree, paying for anything you don't need/want is absurd. But it's gonna be printed for anyone who wants it enough, even if it ends up a bad deal for some. People without the desire to purchase it, don't have to, and shouldn't buy it.

B.) First of all, people shouldn't hesitate to leave a hobby they're dissatisfied with. Anything else is a great way to become miserable, and very little else. Secondly, comics are a tiny industry with a microscopic paying audience. It is also a global pandemic that is severely affecting businesses both large, and small. Marvel is trying things out with their lower selling titles while many (if not most) comic shops don't have the traffic to move a lot of new product. If this leads to more books being digital issues to collected in print, that has yet to be seen.

Im from Jersey, we call everything crap here. Example: "Kyle (my son) clean up your crap (toys) and get in the shower" or "Kyle finish your dinner and put your crap in the dishwasher" orrrrr "Kyle take a shower and put your crap in the washing machine"

and please im far from anything comicsgate
    Last edited by omegafix; 05-27-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Funny how neither Ms. Marvel nor the Wasps (both of them) who are based in New Jersey speak like that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I am thinking in this way myself

I don't buy digital and floppy of the same title

I'm not inclined to punt on smaller books in print anymore and the shift of done books mid run to digital has really annoyed me, though I understand it's exceptional circumstances I can see this happening again in the future

With that in mind it's really convinced me not to punt on smaller titles anymore in any format from the big two

I don't mind trades waiting for smaller press, but my enjoyment of the back g two is in visiting the universe rack week, trades don't do that

And as far as digital, whilst I can see it's attractions for some, it's not a format I particularly enjoy reading issue by issue, reading big runs of older stick I do enjoy

So since I like visiting the big two week by week, but I don't like doing that digitally, I can only see my purchases becoming practically non existent soon

Smaller press I think is going to get my money