Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Star #4 is the only one I get, so I miss out. No digital.
    is Star #4 really that good???

haven't tried it yet.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    is Star #4 really that good???

haven't tried it yet.
    It’s a pretty good comicbook, fleshes out the character from her time in Captain Marvel. Still reserving judgement on her until she really cements her place

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

I’m currently reading Avengers of the Wastelands, Hawkeye: Freefall and Ravencroft. While I find it irritating that they decided to just cancel printing these titles outright, I have been enjoying the books so I will buy the digital versions when they’re available.

Hopefully this is just a hiccup that allocates revenue enabling them to get back to business instead of setting some kind of new precedent.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I'm all about digital only (I only read digital unless I want to buried with a series I love in my sarcophagus); but they should have finished the already in progress series in print.

That will most definitely leave a bad taste in reader's mouths when it comes to digital comics.
    Yeah, the only one of these I'm getting is Star. I buy physical comics partly for the fact that I'm keeping it as a collection. Now I have half a series and the rest is digital. I've bought digital first series (Jessica Jones, Cloak and Dagger, Luke Cage), but I haven't switched from physical to digital mid-series before. I guess the only saving grace is the free digital copy so my digital library won't be incomplete (unlike that time they stopped doing the free digital copy).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

based on this thread, I feel like the alternative may have been Marvel straight up cancelling these books https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/stat...19272272252929

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    based on this thread, I feel like the alternative may have been Marvel straight up cancelling these books https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/stat...19272272252929
    They were minis that were near the end of their runs. Axing them would not have amde sense because the same folks who support those books would be mad that the stories are not done. Something Dark Horse and Image have done and it makes it HARDER to sell a book with a writer whose book got treated like that.

Funny thing is some people were predicting this a year ago! Many comic strips do this aready. Post them online then a real trade.

Some manga do this also. Other manga release in 5 to 15 page chapters each day in a black and white mag with lesser page to cut cost and a phone book sized sunday version then get a trade later with better paper and higher price. In fact some people in japan throw away the mag mangas or donate them like we do time, newsweek and other mags here! Animate (a five story comic shop in japan! In fact they have two of these 5 story stores there!) has a wall of them for cheap from some of the videos!

This is nothing new to some comics in some places. Digital or short chapters in mags then real trade afterwords.

I'm a trade person so as long as I get the trades I don't care where it comes out first myself but can understand why people would be upset.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It seems like a decent way to get the completed stories out there all things considered. These all appear to be either minis or relatively low-selling ongoing titles in the middle of a story. It's a bit of a gamble, but so is betting on anyone actually caring about these books if they were to be released as print issues months down the road. The stories get completed, Marvel gets some new material out to market, and shops aren't even getting screwed by this. If your primary agitation from this is a hole in your collection, then it probably isn't a comic you care about all that much. TPBs fit in a short box well enough regardless.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    they are taking books that are more likely to have low pre-orders/orders during the current crisis and cutting their losses by not having to spend money printing and shipping thousands of floppies that will flood a market that might not even be able to sell them.
    This is a problem Marvel themselves created. The entire industry is based on a system where customer tell their comic shops what they want to get, and the shop orders them based on that feedback. Shipping books that won't sell is (theoretically) impossible with this system. But Marvel overships constantly. It's their own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    It seems like a decent way to get the completed stories out there all things considered. These all appear to be either minis or relatively low-selling ongoing titles in the middle of a story. It's a bit of a gamble, but so is betting on anyone actually caring about these books if they were to be released as print issues months down the road. The stories get completed, Marvel gets some new material out to market, and shops aren't even getting screwed by this. If your primary agitation from this is a hole in your collection, then it probably isn't a comic you care about all that much. TPBs fit in a short box well enough regardless.
    There's three ways this goes on this gamble. Either way benefits Marvel and costs consumers in some way:

1-Marvel get the money off the single issues that are already out and the collected edition later, but the consumer has now spent more because that trade will in no way be less than the cost of the 2-3 individual issues they need to complete the story

2. Marvel gets the money off the single issues that are out already and takes a small hit on the trade from people that were angry they have to spend more to finish a story they already spent money on and won't buy the trade. Marvel still got some money from the single issues already out regardless.

3. Marvel gets the money off the single issues that are already out as well as the digital copies of the new ones, but consumers are inconvenienced any time they want to re-read it because they have to first dig out the single issues and then halfway through boot up an app to read the rest. While not "cost" in terms of money, it is in terms of annoyance and convenience.

As far as the argument being made that "it's better than it being cancelled," I can see this argument in terms of an ongoing series. I've read many a series that just ended abruptly due to cancellation. But these have been markets as mini-series from the start. If you aren't invested in putting the whole series out there, don't put it out.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    There's three ways this goes on this gamble. Either way benefits Marvel and costs consumers in some way:

1-Marvel get the money off the single issues that are already out and the collected edition later, but the consumer has now spent more because that trade will in no way be less than the cost of the 2-3 individual issues they need to complete the story

2. Marvel gets the money off the single issues that are out already and takes a small hit on the trade from people that were angry they have to spend more to finish a story they already spent money on and won't buy the trade. Marvel still got some money from the single issues already out regardless.

3. Marvel gets the money off the single issues that are already out as well as the digital copies of the new ones, but consumers are inconvenienced any time they want to re-read it because they have to first dig out the single issues and then halfway through boot up an app to read the rest. While not "cost" in terms of money, it is in terms of annoyance and convenience.

As far as the argument being made that "it's better than it being cancelled," I can see this argument in terms of an ongoing series. I've read many a series that just ended abruptly due to cancellation. But these have been markets as mini-series from the start. If you aren't invested in putting the whole series out there, don't put it out.
    A.) Readers already do this all of the time. Buying the first few issues of something, dropping it, and later realizing it might be worth completing. Sometimes that's just back-issue browsing, but a lot of the time it's buying a TPB you've already read most of. Double dipping once in a while out of necessity (or want) is a fairly normal occurrence in comics, and gaming. If they want to read the printed version of the story, they have a reasonable option.

B.) I don't think any hit they take from readers disgruntled about floppies will be terribly significant. TPBs of strong selling issues can ship poorly, and mediocre monthly selling comics can make it onto best-sellers lists in TPB form. The only real deciding factor is how many people were going to trade-wait these stories regardless.

C.) The readers who bought the single issues already have digital copies of those issues. They just have to redeem them. If anything it's more convenient than having to navigate through a shortbox to find the floppies.

They definitely seem to be intent on finishing the minis so I guess you're good.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    C.) The readers who bought the single issues already have digital copies of those issues. They just have to redeem them. If anything it's more convenient than having to navigate through a shortbox to find the floppies.
    Good point. I forgot that Marvel puts digital copies with their issues. I guess going without new comics for a month makes you forget about little things like that.

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Ultimate Member

Good point. I forgot that Marvel puts digital copies with their issues. I guess going without new comics for a month makes you forget about little things like that.
    True they do that but for the person who bought the floppies and would later give that book away to someone-now has an incomplete series.

The comic book store gets screwed because you have a physical series whose ending is digital. Makes it rather harder to get rid of those remaining back issues. Only way you get rid of those books is random grab bags or give them away because no one is going to buy them even at 25 cents or what a bin price is.

I am sure stores would love to get rid of all those Image books that started and never finished along with Cyborg and Bankshot.

If any of those books were going to have variant covers-that is more money lost for the store.

Ghost-Spider wasn't.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ghost-Spider wasn't.
    *But the majority of these have been marketed as mini-series from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Surprised that books like Ms. Marvel, Champions and Runaways also didn't get pushed in this direction.
    Looks like they're only going this route on mini-series.