Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

With this announcement, I am kind of glad that I held off getting the Ravencroft mini after those one-shots leading into it.

I can understand people being angry who have invested time and money into some of these titles. I have been stung in the past myself. But we all expected things would be rough coming out of the pandemic. Marvel are playing catch up production and profit wise. Higher selling titles take priority and it is vital those books get back on track. They could release the final issues for those books, but doing so will cost time and money. These series were going to have tpbs. Why release issues that will cost more to produce than any profit they stand to make? Better just to take a loss there and go straight to trade. At least the titles are going to be concluded. Plenty of series have never even received that much.

Hopefully this is only for the next few months and everything gets back on track. They may even review the content they are putting out, as well as how they will put it out.

Some people expected Marvel to just sit on its thumbs until the crisis was averted for some reason, even though that was never feasible. Something like this was always gonna be the end result.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Some people expected Marvel to just sit on its thumbs until the crisis was averted for some reason, even though that was never feasible. Something like this was always gonna be the end result.
    There is going to be pain across the board. If Marvel is taking this kind of action, it makes you wonder what will happen with the independents. If this is what they need to do in order to get the wheels turning again, then they need to do it. Doesn't make it suck any less though.

The whole industry is going to change after this. The only question is: for better or worse?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It'll be more than two weeks. We just haven't had announcements past that point yet. Obviously the subsequent issues of these eight books will be digital only, and then there are other titles such as Empyre tie-ins, the New Warriors and Power Pack books, Atlantis Attacks, and the remaining Iron Man 2020 tie-ins that could go the same way. All of those are minis.
    FWIW, Empyre tie-ins (especially one-shots) make a ton of sense as digital-only (then release in some kind of event spinoff trade). I would argue that they're an ideal candidate, imo.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

I was just collecting Ravencroft,at least i will be able to get the story in TPB.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    There is going to be pain across the board. If Marvel is taking this kind of action, it makes you wonder what will happen with the independents. If this is what they need to do in order to get the wheels turning again, then they need to do it. Doesn't make it suck any less though.

The whole industry is going to change after this. The only question is: for better or worse?
    Some were already doing it.

Most indy books are not set for long term runs-they do x amount of issues and that is it for that volume.

Digital to trade (of something NOT out yet) is fine. It should open the door for those who for various reasons can't sniff a series and still produce a trade.

It bypasses the trolls and certain store owners who take issue with certain books existing-see New Warriors. It's not in your store so yo can't whine that the book is killing stores.

Downside for the comic book store is guess who doesn't have variants to sell? Take New Warriors-who has 4.

Bagley's variant is fetching $100 on Ebay (pre order). While another is at $179.00. There are stores DESPITE the trolls were going to make money off those variants.

So while you got some who will whine about or events-guess who is the main one ordering them?

Artgerm, Scott Campbell, Dodsons & Scottie Young-how many books have sold more thanks to those guys?

But some books need to do digital and trade only. Just for the sake of sanity. You get tired of youtuber hacks and gators throwing fits over books that they won't read. You get tired of hearing the same store owners throw fits over books not starring white males.

If doing this helps stop that and maybe get folks like Colossus or Medusa or Falcon digital only minis-go for it.

Like many others in this thread, I only collect single issues (I own over 40,000 of them), and I have a difficult time quitting a series once I've started it. However, since my longtime lcs closed last year, it's been difficult for me to keep up with everything coming out every week, and I've pretty much lost the excitement I used to feel every Wednesday. I've been wondering for a while now if it might be time for me to stop buying new comics, and just concentrate on my want list from now on. I just haven't been able to make that leap. The fact that I'll be unable to get single issues to finish off the titles that are going all digital might be enough to finally stop. No sour grapes about this, but I collect the way I want to, and the hobby seems to be veering further away from that model.

Astonishing Member

I collect comic books in single issues and collected editions.
    I collect single issues of my favorite comic books because i donīt want to wait for TPBīs of new comic books i am enjoying reading and i like the format of single issues.
    And TPBīs is just something i get sometimes to add to my collection.
    I got the first issues of Ravencroft in single issues so i will be double diping in those stories when i get the tpb but i think thatīs understantable considerating they were not best sellers as far as i know.
    I will be collecting new comic books in single issues same as always because the stories of my favorite comic books i want to read when they are available.

Fantastic Member

I'm not buying any of these series so it doesn't bother me at all. I feel bad for the people who are getting them, but we are in unprecedented times, stuff like this will happen.

Honestly, I just decided to jump completely in on digital. I really haven't been reading much the last 3-4 years other than ASM and I get that through Marvel print subscription so I wasn't giving my LCS much business anyway. I jumped back in with Hickman on X-men, loved HoX/PoX and wanted to give some of DoX titles a shot, but I had a hard time tracking them down. My LCS would sell out before I would get there, which was usually by 1 on Wednesdays. Anyway, I had like 2-3 issues of a few of series from when they started last year, but then had too much going on life to keep up. Just recently I started re-reading the issues I had of X-men, Marauders and X-Force and wanted to keep reading. At this point digital was the only option and just so happened that Marvel was having a huge sale on those issues I was missing.

It is an easy transition for me because I always looked at myself as a reader not a collector. It is disposable media to me. I have no problem throwing issues away when I know I'll never read them again. I've kept series that I love, but I know I will never dig them out and read them again. I really wish I had redeemed all those digital codes when Marvel started that years ago. Would be nice to have them easily accessible in my digital library.

Extraordinary Member

For those creatives on big 2 books who likely didn't get a check last month the move to digital couldn't happen too soon.

I am only surprised it took as long as it did.

With this announcement, I am kind of glad that I held off getting the Ravencroft mini after those one-shots leading into it.

I can understand people being angry who have invested time and money into some of these titles. I have been stung in the past myself. But we all expected things would be rough coming out of the pandemic. Marvel are playing catch up production and profit wise. Higher selling titles take priority and it is vital those books get back on track. They could release the final issues for those books, but doing so will cost time and money. These series were going to have tpbs. Why release issues that will cost more to produce than any profit they stand to make? Better just to take a loss there and go straight to trade. At least the titles are going to be concluded. Plenty of series have never even received that much.

Hopefully this is only for the next few months and everything gets back on track. They may even review the content they are putting out, as well as how they will put it out.
    That's the gist of it. It's not ideal, but these things were going to happen. Most of these books were selling 15k or below (Star was selling more, but it is still a mini) and while apparently Marvel is willing to keep going with print for some ongoing books selling around that, at least for a while, and have previously thrown money at books to give them a push or let a story finish, even if the final issues are technically a loss, these are not normal times. I mean, it would likely end up with those being printed at a loss that they can't afford right now. Tons of people were laid off, so a lot of readers will have to cut back on what they would buy, if not quit entirely at least for a while, that will affect all comics, but especially lower tier books. If a book is already selling 13k, add in a lot of readers jumping ship for financial reasons, plus a gap of like 4 months between issues, I mean, next issue is going to be selling under 10k in print, easy. And printing is not cheap, and it gets more expensive per issue the fewer issues that are printed, at a certain point they will be losing money printing it and getting it to shops. I know Marvel is backed by Disney, but they are still expected to turn a profit, and Disney's pockets are deep, but not infinite, especially since they had to close their parks, and movies have been shut down. They've already lost 1.5 billion to the pandemic, and will lose more. It means that throwing money at Marvel is not thier priority right now, Marvel has to come through this on their own, and they are not going to do that by doing their pre-pandemic tactics of maybe letting lower selling books finish at a loss for the sake of a complete story and hopes it will make it up in trade. But the pages have already been created, and digital, though it has a cut taken from issues sold, has no upfront cost, so... Better than axing the books entirely.

Astonishing Member

This tactic has simply reaffirmed my lack of desire to try a punt on new marvel books away from the major characters

I might see why they have done this, but once a tactic like this is used, it will get reused

I'm not putting money into an books issue that might then carry over in a format I don't buy

More reason for me not to try out new marvel properties

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    This tactic has simply reaffirmed my lack of desire to try a punt on new marvel books away from the major characters

I might see why they have done this, but once a tactic like this is used, it will get reused

I'm not putting money into an books issue that might then carry over in a format I don't buy

More reason for me not to try out new marvel properties
    Why would they ''reuse'' this? Why would they deliberately publish more books in print and change the format of distribution midway in the future? The only reason why this happened to these books was because of a pandemic that no one saw coming. It was an improvised decision. There's no reason to believe they actually WANT to do that to every book in the future. I'm sure it's possible we'll have more digital-first comics, but they're probably going to be advertised as such from the beginning, and not changed midway.

Yeah, I can see Atlantis Attacks, some Empyre and Iron Man 2020 tie-ins, and the New Warriors and Power Pack books going digital first. Then after the already solicited stuff is out, any future digital first books probably won't have print solicitations. A lot of minis just won't be in print in the first place.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

i can see doing this going forward, but to not finish off the ones that already began is kind of a **** you to those of us who already invested in these series