Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Heroes having kids - Yes or No?

Several big DC heroes have had children in recent years. Do you like it or not.

Which heroes should never have kids? Which ones need to have kids?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

I actually like it. Some of these characters have been around for 80+ years. I like a slow progression forward so it feels like they are growing over time.
    Nothing bores me more than a character stuck in status quo hell for years and years. When I first started reading comics, Aquaman already had a kid and it never threw me that
    he and Mera were "too old to be interesting". Never crossed my mind.

Jon and Damien are two of my favorites (although I do hate that they aged Jon too quickly and lost years of storytelling opportunities).

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

I saw Clark's gen as more parental so I'm fine with it.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Some should have kids. Some should adopt kids. Some of those kids should become heroes in time, some not. Some others should never have kids. An homogenous universe is boring.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member

When I was growing up, a lot of DC heroes had younger versions hanging around - Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Arrow, and eventually Hawkman.

I think Aquaman was the first to have a child, who unfortunately died.

I kind of like the idea, although I wish they wouldn't rush the child into its teen years too quickly.

BANNED

My view is that, unless they are vital to a hero's origin (like the Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman), kids are usually a mistake.

Some folks love Damian Wayne but I couldn't get behind that assassin-raised but pre-adolescent beater of grown men.

Jon Kent had a lot to offer Lois and Clark as parents on top of their classic roles, but TPTB screwed the three by aging the kid up.

And there are times when the kids are more like parasites leeching off of the recognizeable parent. That's my attitude toward Black Lightning getting saddled with two grown-up daughters so they can have the limelight and their "superhero cred" through him.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    My view is that, unless they are vital to a hero's origin (like the Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman), kids are usually a mistake.
    My view is very similar: Unless part of the origin or the characters' early years by their creators (think Franklin Richards), kids are a mistake.

Batman should have no biological sons, only his adopted "sons."

Superman...no kids whatsoever.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-09-2023 at 07:08 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yes I’m pretty good with them, but doesn’t have to be a kid. Works for some characters just to have related family like Hal with his nieces and nephews.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm ok with the idea.

Nothing is more boring than a stagnant universe.

As long as its a natural fit, I could care less

Damian was a great idea; the only thing that works against him is the THREE previous Robins. It's a shame they took so long to make one Bruce's biological son.

Then there's something like Jay Garrick just randomly having a daughter, its too late, and it doesn't work.

Also, not every super kid needs to be super. I kinda like the idea Lian Harper never suits up; not everyone needs to take after their parents. Especially for non-metas.
    Last edited by thefinalguy; 02-02-2023 at 03:48 PM.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    the only thing that works against him is the THREE previous Robins.
    Four.

But I agree 100% with your post.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    Scott Lang Ant-Man is a better known example. He stole Hank Pym's Ant-Man equipment to get the money to pay for an operation for his daughter Cassie. When Hank finds out, he lets him keep the suit and gives him the cash. That was in 1979. In 2004, Cassie became a superhero herself in Young Avengers - and is now in the movies!

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yes I’m pretty good with them, but doesn’t have to be a kid. Works for some characters just to have related family like Hal with his nieces and nephews.
    Like Wonder Woman. Having her pregnant would obviously take her out of action, so she doesn't have kids. Her younger sister Donna and niece Cassie serve that role instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Four.

Yeah, don't be forgetting Stephanie Brown!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Four.

How could I forget Steph.

Although that makes it even worse.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

I guess it’s fine. Just as long as there isn’t too much focus on them. I personally hate younger kid characters as they usually come off pretty obnoxious. I can’t even read Flash comics where Jai and Irey are the main characters of the story.

Kids tend to take away more story aspects from a character than they're able to add. They serve to cement a character to a status quo worse than the sliding timescale does.