View Poll Results: Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen, Who Is Your Favorite?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Miles Morales

25 65.79%
  • Spider-Gwen

13 34.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Eh, I've read the Miles comics, never wanted to read the Gwen ones. However, I think I'm more pysched for the Spider-Gwen movie then the Miles-lead Spider-Verse sequel, so Gwen? (Honestly, from what I've seen, the characters weren't that great in the comics, but the movie did them really good and they had a nice double-act, so call it a draw?)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Better concept? Definitely Gwen.

Better character? Miles.

However, I never really could get into Miles until Into The Spider-Verse came out. The movie did a fantastic job with his character and made me really care for him.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post

Better character? Miles....
    Exactly how I view the two, good summation.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The choice is Miles, and it is not even close. Why? Start with Into The Spider-Verse then move on to Spider-Man Life Story and you get the picture.If someone compiled a list of the top 100 Spider stories of All-Time ( and I do not mean exclusive to Peter), those two stories would be in there. What has Ghost-Spider Gwen ever done that stands out like those two? Answer: Nothing.
    Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Gwen's debut. The character's best story.

I love Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and while I really liked Life Story, I think it's overrated IMO. I'd take Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1-13 over that including Ultimate Fallout #4, his debut appearance. Most of that wound up in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post

Better character? Miles.

However, I never really could get into Miles until Into The Spider-Verse came out. The movie did a fantastic job with his character and made me really care for him.
    Same here. My favourite iteration of Miles.

I sometimes wonder if Miles wouldn't be a better fit in Gwen's world, rather than the 616.

It's a continual shame that Marvel seems intent on shoehorning Gwen into the 616 as well, because I found her world to be incredibly interesting, to the point that I wish Latour had fleshed it out more than he did -- and he did a solid amount of world-building!

I dunno exactly what it is, but the Electro of that would really encapsulates its weird charm to me -- like, a world that is somehow both modern and yet also an 80s movie. Not sure that's even the right comparison, but...!

As someone who stopped buying Gwen comics when Latour left, and who has never bought comics just because Miles was in them, I'd honestly love to see an Exiles- or Web Warriors-style comic focused on the pair as protagonists, with other notable alt-spiders like 2099 playing meaningful roles as well -- especially if it means we eventually get to see their kids again

-Pav, who voted for Spider-Gwen (not Ghost Spider)...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

There are a couple of factors to take into account with this question. Are we ONLY talking about one version in the grand and yet to be Multiverse of the two characters (1610 Miles and 65 Gwen) or are we counting as a whole 'all the Miles when he's presented to us as a Spider-Man' and 'all the Gwens only when she is presented to us as a Spider-Woman/Ghost-Spider' only? If it's only one version then the Into the Spider-Verse movie and all other versions that has been presented to us since 1610 and 65 debuts has to be thrown out as that wasn't 1610 or 65 Miles and Gwen.

Treating this as all versions of the two during them as Spider superhero version then as a whole Miles has a advantage of time and a few other factors going for him. He had a version that was the star in a well received movie (which I was watching a youtube video just recently which the speaker hates 1610 Miles story presentation but felt that the movie Miles version was much better done in various ways and the movie 'fixed him') and has a advantage of having a few years more running in and top billing in some series. Plus moving to the 616 he also starred in a Avenger and the Champions team series which other legacy and rising characters. Plus he's still in school which Marvel seems to like and been recently trying to get the other Spider's it seems in the education area as well but for Miles that background with some carried over from 1610 to 616 support cast also there with him I feel fits Miles right now and his writers have been able to balance that aspect of his life which his own series making that a major focus while his superhero side get be spotlighted and complemented in other books.

While many Spider-Gwen fans like myself enjoy the Earth-65 Multiverse and discovering new creative multiverse possibilities and differences (like right now a villain Sue and Johnny) having Miles now on 616 allows higher opportunities for interacting with other characters and ongoings for people who don't read his series to get to know him hopefully in a positive light depending on the writer.

Plus having a bit more time allows Miles to have multiple good and bad storylines that we can cherry pick from. That's just the advantages of having time and multiple writers and series. You'll have some good and bad depending on what you enjoy and it's execution.

I highly like both characters. Sticking to just 1610 Miles and 65 Gwen only of the two I'm a fan of both but personally it was Edge of the Spider-Verse #2 that welcomed me into the world of comics so Gwen has a huge advantage there for me. Between the two in the grand scheme of the Multiverse which of the two has my appeal and interest to their future presentations that goes to Gwen also.

Miles has advantage of time for the two 'Spiders' but now if you take into account all versions of 'Miles' and 'Gwen' then Gwen has the advantage as before Spider-Gwen I found look back to the grand scheme of the Multiverse preseastions Gwen has a higher variety in the Multiverse. 'Gwen' has been presented to us in various ways such as:
    'Beauty Queen' (616 version),
    Outcast Geek (Spectacular animated series),
    Human resistance leader (Age of Apocalypse Earth),
    Princess (a Fairy Tales Earth),
    Super hero (Earth-65 and since her debut many other Earths popping up of a superhero Gwen usually a Spider-Gwen variety),
    Mother (Two worlds showed one with Peter and another called Earth-8 with her married to Miles while also being a Spider-Gwen and having two kids with Miles),
    Detective (One world that was shown called 617 that was made when Earth-65 Gwen was sent to the past and to another universe disrupting events when meeting a 616 Gwen causing the Earth to split a make a new Earth to keep events and a time paradox from forming with a new Earth and Multiverse and from 617 and 65 meeting created a domino effect that alter things which 617 Gwen lived, bonded to the symbiote but has a working partnership with it teaching it like a mother to how to become and generally becoming a superhero together, became her world's greatest forensic detective, and studies as a scientist the Multiverse and combats the Watchers while acting as a Aunt to Earth-8 Gwen's kids),
    Drummer, (Earth-65 and a few other worlds)
    Officer, (Unknown number Earth but a hobbes type of art style and humor)
    Scientist (if not a Drummer then usually this as her goal profession if not also a superhero on the side in many worlds now)

Overall it feels due to this variety every time a new Multiverse Earth is presented to us I don't know how Gwen will be presented to us by the writer and not knowing means the realm of possibilities and discovery of a character are open meanwhile many other characters stick to just the 616 version with one small change maybe and I can have a high chance of 'called it' before they show up. As a reader I like surprises that is hopefully well crafted and fits that world and characters. Lately since 2014 new 'Gwens' now starting to stick to the Earth-65 character template but still with 65 and 616 being the primary Gwen versions that mostly influence writers but the two also having differences that can influence the writers in different directions allows still a bit more 'discovery' per Gwen made of what the writer has in influence and imagination.

Lastly I disagree that Earth-65 Gwen should of stopped and nobody should try and write for Earth-65 Gwen after Lactor ended his run. It feels in a way with that thought process that when other notable writers had stepped down on some of their own books with a storyline concluded then by that thinking nobody should then be writing for those characters ever agian. But if that held true then I feel that would of lead to many current A-list characters to fall into oblivion vs continue growth, new fans/exposure, and block possibilities by new writers and ideas that some well received and some not but the opportunity was open and took that shot.

In the end it's: a writer has an idea or takes over the series (auditioning/interviewing for it or given by the higher ups for various reasons), presents that idea to possibly higher ups to be OKed, then with a artist presets the ideas to us. That goes for every character. If a writer has an idea/imagination and wants to try and went through the hoops and it concerns Earth-65 Gwen then I feel the shots should be taken and hopefully we the readers will enjoy what is made in the end. That's not just counting personal life, unexpected problems, unexpected events tossed in for the writer to handle, ect.

If we enjoy what is made then that's great. But all characters has ups and downs and multiple writers who tried their best with their imagination but also unknown factors or unexpected events during the planning and creation. Some characters are in two series at the same time with two writers and we might hate one storyline and love the other and presentation of the very same character and version. So I don't feel any characters should be locked away or no chances for writers to present to us if given/worked for the opportunity. Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    There are a couple of factors to take into account with this question. Are we ONLY talking about one version in the grand and yet to be Multiverse of the two characters (1610 Miles and 65 Gwen) or are we counting as a whole 'all the Miles when he's presented to us as a Spider-Man' and 'all the Gwens only when she is presented to us as a Spider-Woman/Ghost-Spider' only? If it's only one version then the Into the Spider-Verse movie and all other versions that has been presented to us since 1610 and 65 debuts has to be thrown out as that wasn't 1610 or 65 Miles and Gwen.

Treating this as all versions of the two during them as Spider superhero version then as a whole Miles has a advantage of time and a few other factors going for him. He had a version that was the star in a well received movie (which I was watching a youtube video just recently which the speaker hates 1610 Miles story presentation but felt that the movie Miles version was much better done in various ways and the movie 'fixed him') and has a advantage of having a few years more running in and top billing in some series. Plus moving to the 616 he also starred in a Avenger and the Champions team series which other legacy and rising characters. Plus he's still in school which Marvel seems to like and been recently trying to get the other Spider's it seems in the education area as well but for Miles that background with some carried over from 1610 to 616 support cast also there with him I feel fits Miles right now and his writers have been able to balance that aspect of his life which his own series making that a major focus while his superhero side get be spotlighted and complemented in other books.

While many Spider-Gwen fans like myself enjoy the Earth-65 Multiverse and discovering new creative multiverse possibilities and differences (like right now a villain Sue and Johnny) having Miles now on 616 allows higher opportunities for interacting with other characters and ongoings for people who don't read his series to get to know him hopefully in a positive light depending on the writer.

Plus having a bit more time allows Miles to have multiple good and bad storylines that we can cherry pick from. That's just the advantages of having time and multiple writers and series. You'll have some good and bad depending on what you enjoy and it's execution.

I highly like both characters. Sticking to just 1610 Miles and 65 Gwen only of the two I'm a fan of both but personally it was Edge of the Spider-Verse #2 that welcomed me into the world of comics so Gwen has a huge advantage there for me. Between the two in the grand scheme of the Multiverse which of the two has my appeal and interest to their future presentations that goes to Gwen also.

Miles has advantage of time for the two 'Spiders' but now if you take into account all versions of 'Miles' and 'Gwen' then Gwen has the advantage as before Spider-Gwen I found look back to the grand scheme of the Multiverse preseastions Gwen has a higher variety in the Multiverse. 'Gwen' has been presented to us in various ways such as:
    'Beauty Queen' (616 version),
    Outcast Geek (Spectacular animated series),
    Human resistance leader (Age of Apocalypse Earth),
    Princess (a Fairy Tales Earth),
    Super hero (Earth-65 and since her debut many other Earths popping up of a superhero Gwen usually a Spider-Gwen variety),
    Mother (Two worlds showed one with Peter and another called Earth-8 with her married to Miles while also being a Spider-Gwen and having two kids with Miles),
    Detective (One world that was shown called 617 that was made when Earth-65 Gwen was sent to the past and to another universe disrupting events when meeting a 616 Gwen causing the Earth to split a make a new Earth to keep events and a time paradox from forming with a new Earth and Multiverse and from 617 and 65 meeting created a domino effect that alter things which 617 Gwen lived, bonded to the symbiote but has a working partnership with it teaching it like a mother to how to become and generally becoming a superhero together, became her world's greatest forensic detective, and studies as a scientist the Multiverse and combats the Watchers while acting as a Aunt to Earth-8 Gwen's kids),
    Drummer, (Earth-65 and a few other worlds)
    Officer, (Unknown number Earth but a hobbes type of art style and humor)
    Scientist (if not a Drummer then usually this as her goal profession if not also a superhero on the side in many worlds now)

Overall it feels due to this variety every time a new Multiverse Earth is presented to us I don't know how Gwen will be presented to us by the writer and not knowing means the realm of possibilities and discovery of a character are open meanwhile many other characters stick to just the 616 version with one small change maybe and I can have a high chance of 'called it' before they show up. As a reader I like surprises that is hopefully well crafted and fits that world and characters. Lately since 2014 new 'Gwens' now starting to stick to the Earth-65 character template but still with 65 and 616 being the primary Gwen versions that mostly influence writers but the two also having differences that can influence the writers in different directions allows still a bit more 'discovery' per Gwen made of what the writer has in influence and imagination.

Lastly I disagree that Earth-65 Gwen should of stopped and nobody should try and write for Earth-65 Gwen after Lactor ended his run. It feels in a way with that thought process that when other notable writers had stepped down on some of their own books with a storyline concluded then by that thinking nobody should then be writing for those characters ever agian. But if that held true then I feel that would of lead to many current A-list characters to fall into oblivion vs continue growth, new fans/exposure, and block possibilities by new writers and ideas that some well received and some not but the opportunity was open and took that shot.

In the end it's: a writer has an idea or takes over the series (auditioning/interviewing for it or given by the higher ups for various reasons), presents that idea to possibly higher ups to be OKed, then with a artist presets the ideas to us. That goes for every character. If a writer has an idea/imagination and wants to try and went through the hoops and it concerns Earth-65 Gwen then I feel the shots should be taken and hopefully we the readers will enjoy what is made in the end. That's not just counting personal life, unexpected problems, unexpected events tossed in for the writer to handle, ect.

If we enjoy what is made then that's great. But all characters has ups and downs and multiple writers who tried their best with their imagination but also unknown factors or unexpected events during the planning and creation. Some characters are in two series at the same time with two writers and we might hate one storyline and love the other and presentation of the very same character and version. So I don't feel any characters should be locked away or no chances for writers to present to us if given/worked for the opportunity. Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    I have never seen the wow factor with any variation of Gwen (except for Emma Stone), and even she is not as good as Into The Spider-Verse Miles or that version of MJ. I will also say that Spider-Man Life Story has a better version of both Miles and MJ. Basically Gwen Stacy is Marvel’s version of “Putting Lipstick On A Pig.” Trying to spruce up something when it just is not there.

Astonishing Member

What's interesting is that Miles is leading in the poll, but the posts suggest people's preferences go like this:

1. ITSV Miles Moralles
    2. Spider-Gwen
    3. 616/Ultimate Miles Morales
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-15-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Spectacular Member

Miles is better.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'd honestly choose Miles even though I feel the quality of his stories has dipped a little.

My main problem is that I'm against the push to keep bringing Gwen Stacy back. Gerry Conway threw her off a bridge in the 70s. Give it a rest.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'd honestly choose Miles even though I feel the quality of his stories has dipped a little.

My main problem is that I'm against the push to keep bringing Gwen Stacy back. Gerry Conway threw her off a bridg in the 70s. Give it a rest.
    I happen to agree with you. Think about it, Gwen died almost 50 years ago, and there has not been much of a demand to bring her back by most people. I would even argue that as a love interest she comes in 4th. ( Mary Jane, Felicia, and Mary Jones). Besides that, think of the post ASM 121 comics featuring Gwen. Sins Past and Clone Saga 1. Even in 2020 Marvel cannot get over those two comics. Original Gwen ( Osborn) and Ghost Spider Gwen ( Jackal). It is almost like Marvel is determined to somehow make those comics look good. Guess what? Sins Past and Clone Saga sucked, and they need to either erase them ( along with OMD/BND of course), or just forget using new stories involving them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

My main problem is that I'm against the push to keep bringing Gwen Stacy back. Gerry Conway threw her off a bridge in the 70s. Give it a rest.
    To be fair, Spider-Gwen is Gwen in name only. The only other thing they have in common is Captain Stacy.

Extraordinary Member

While I like Ghost-Spider, she was soured on me by her overshadowing everyone in Web Warriors.

So Miles.

Miles, I'm interested in Gwen but I;m not fully invested in her character yet.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8