Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I don't know about this.

The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has pretty much been run into the ground.

Gender swapping the franchise that is 1) so associated with Johnny Depp 2) On life support and doesnt have the cultural cache it once had seems like a bad idea to me.

I think they sort of tried to reboot with new supporting characters with "Stranger Tides" but that didn't work out too well, so they pretty much just rehashed the original trilogy for the last one (and kind of undid it's bittersweet ending).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Who refers to Karen Gillan as the girl from Jumanji on a comic book message board?
    Yeah, she's totally Gamora's sister!

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I don't know about this.

The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has pretty much been run into the ground.

Gender swapping the franchise that is 1) so associated with Johnny Depp 2) On life support and doesnt have the cultural cache it once had seems like a bad idea to me.
    It's not really on life support the last movie almost did 800 million the problem was they spent way too much on it.

Not to try to get into it too much but there was a bit of a controversy about Depp a while back, although there's some debate lately as to whether it was him or his ex-wife. So he might be a bit too toxic for Disney right now.

Karen's a lot less controversial, I think her only scandal was that weird hotel story during her Doctor Who days.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Not to try to get into it too much but there was a bit of a controversy about Depp a while back, although there's some debate lately as to whether it was him or his ex-wife. So he might be a bit too toxic for Disney right now.

Karen's a lot less controversial, I think her only scandal was that weird hotel story during her Doctor Who days.
    I think with Depp the question isn't whether or not it was him or his wife, but whether or not it was just his wife or the both of them.

Disney's bigger issue with Depp might be that he has had too many flops recently.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

Hope it does well, but I've read a few articles that showed that Pirates Of The Caribbean was the exception to the rule, with regards to Pirate movies. Most did poorly, regardless of the gender of the main character

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Why hasnt this franchise ended ?
    Because it's really, really popular with Chinese moviegoers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post

Disney's bigger issue with Depp might be that he has had too many flops recently.
    And he's likely expensive and signed with the competition. (The remaining Fantastic Beasts movie)

Even putting aside the abuse allegations, when was the last time Depp gave a performance that was worth a damn?

I know he has his defenders, and I'm sure there are people who aren't sick of the Jack Sparrow shtick, but as far as I've seen, dude's been phoning it in for years.

Give him a brief cameo if you must, but if the series must continue, let Sparrow go.

I thought pirates, zombies, and vampires were on mandatory Hollywood rest for a bit?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Hope it does well, but I've read a few articles that showed that Pirates Of The Caribbean was the exception to the rule, with regards to Pirate movies. Most did poorly, regardless of the gender of the main character
    What article was this? Because the box office for the PotC movies have been rather stable.

Curse of the Black Pearl: $654m

Dead Men's Chest: $1.066B

At World's End: $961m

On Stranger Tides: $1.046B

Dead Men Tell No Tales: $795m

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

I would not call that a scandal. And not even proven as far as I know. Yellow press lying is not unknown.

My main Problem with the Franchise was that they focused too much on Depp and made his role more and more idiotic.

So making something new would be a reason to watch the movies in a Cinema again.
    And having Gillan in the lead would be one more reason for that. Action comedies she can do. Even played a pirate already in a Doctor Who Episode, so why not^^

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What article was this? Because the box office for the PotC movies have been rather stable.

Curse of the Black Pearl: $654m

Dead Men's Chest: $1.066B

At World's End: $961m

On Stranger Tides: $1.046B

Dead Men Tell No Tales: $795m
    I think what he meant to say is, that Pirate movies are normally doing poorly and that PotC movies are the exception of this rule, as you also said.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It's not really on life support the last movie almost did 800 million the problem was they spent way too much on it.
    That's quite the come down from the previous movies.

And these movies cost a lot.