Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What article was this? Because the box office for the PotC movies have been rather stable.

Curse of the Black Pearl: $654m

Dead Men's Chest: $1.066B

At World's End: $961m

On Stranger Tides: $1.046B

Dead Men Tell No Tales: $795m
    After the first one we have up a lot, down a little, up a little and down 25%. It was stable for the middle three.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That's quite the come down from the previous movies.

And these movies cost a lot.
    Not really it's like 250 million different sure that's a lot of money but I wouldn't call it a huge drop for a movie with a 6 year gap. But ya like I was saying the main problem was they way over spent on the last movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    I think what he meant to say is, that Pirate movies are normally doing poorly and that PotC movies are the exception of this rule, as you also said.
    Exactly.

PotC have done fine, yes.

But Pirate movies without Johnny Depp? They've all done poorly. I don't think keeping the name would be enough to make the next one a success.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to think of any classic "Golden age of piracy" Pirate movies outside of POTC that aren't some adaptation of Treasure Island or Captain Blood. I wouldn't count Goonies as it's mainly about finding Pirate treasure in the modern day, not the Pirates themselves.

There's been some good sailing ship movies but they mostly don't have anything to do with pirates (Master and Commander for instance) and I'm pretty sure MAC, while a great film, was a financial flop.

Pirates seem to do OK on TV (Black sails), video games etc. (Black Flag, Monkey Island, Sid Meier's pirates, sea of thieves) though.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-08-2020 at 06:33 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The one decent thing is that with Gillian they have a woman who has some cred in an action role who can also has a good range of acting ability. And who, unlike the bigger US stars, can still likely be signed for a reasonable price tag - not cheap, mind you, but also not a bank-breaker either. So it seems like they are at least doing one thing right - whether or not that translates into anything else remains to be seen.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

Make it a spin off so as not to tick off any of the fan base and cheaper than the last one. Then maybe you have a chance to make a profit. This will be th biggest risk since the first movie.

So, Pirates of the Caribbean without Jack Sparrow: What is literally the point?
    Karen Gillan in a swashbuckler: Sounds good.

See the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Hey now, Bumblebee was excellent. Just sayin'
    Yeah, proof that even a zombie franchise can be turned around.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm going to bring out my chair and enjoy the inevitable shitshow.
    Yes indeed, que the inevitable youtube videos.

"What? A female star? Political correctness".

"Get woke, go broke like Star Wars and Captain Marvel did".

Some jokes, even bad ones, just never get old.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Karen Gillan's audition tape.

Ultimate Member

One of the most powerful and successful pirates ever, was a Chinese woman. Anyone who whines about the idea of a female pirate (now if it's not a well-written character, ok that's another matter entirely) doesn't know what they're talking about.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    One of the most powerful and successful pirates ever, was a Chinese woman. Anyone who whines about the idea of a female pirate (now if it's not a well-written character, ok that's another matter entirely) doesn't know what they're talking about.
    Logic and fanboy whining rarely meet

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

If Gillan is the star of the movie and Depp is absent or only makes a cameo, then any talk of a "zombie franchise" is moot. The franchise will serve only as a marketing tool and a common theme and mythos with the earlier movies. And I for one would watch a movie about Karen Gillan as a pirate queen.

How is a franchise with 2 billion dollar movies and 2 movies that did the better part of a billion a zombie franchise? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Karen Gillan's audition tape.

Unfortunately one of the weaker episodes, kind of more of a gimmick episode. (Although it was kind of clever how they connected it to a first Doctor story). Kind of interesting that it had Lily Cole, who sort of was trying to do the whole model-to-actress thing at the same time Cara Delvingne was, but Cara seems to have done a bit better (I guess because of her "quirkiness")
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-09-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Not really it's like 250 million different sure that's a lot of money but I wouldn't call it a huge drop for a movie with a 6 year gap. But ya like I was saying the main problem was they way over spent on the last movie.
    The budget may be $250 million, but you have to remember the marketing budget. That is a serious chunk of change.