Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The budget may be $250 million, but you have to remember the marketing budget. That is a serious chunk of change.
    He was talking about the last movie making $250 million less than the previous one. He apparently doesn’t think it that important but it was a 25% drop and the franchise may be in trouble.

Ultimate Member

Reducing the budget could help. I mean I doubt Karen Gillan would command as high a paycheck as Depp does for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    He was talking about the last movie making $250 million less than the previous one. He apparently doesn’t think it that important but it was a 25% drop and the franchise may be in trouble.
    No it's very important for a movie that cost around 400 million counting marketing my whole point is they spent way to much on the movie that was the problem.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Reducing the budget could help. I mean I doubt Karen Gillan would command as high a paycheck as Depp does for instance.
    I am confident that is the reason for this. If the last movie had gone up 25% or maybe just 10% they would bring Depp back. They had to change something or give up on the franchise. If the trailers look good to me I will watch this.

Ultimate Member

I think the Pirates movies are generally extremely expensive because of the nature of the films themselves I.e effects heavy films shot on and around water.

These movies tend to be inherently very, very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, Pirates of the Caribbean without Jack Sparrow: What is literally the point?
    Karen Gillan in a swashbuckler: Sounds good.

See the problem?

Yeah, proof that even a zombie franchise can be turned around.
    Now that Johnny Depp has been redeemed there are talks that he is getting another Pirates movie. I wonder if it comes after this one or if this one gets scrapped and they go with the Depp movie next.

My biggest fear, would be it goes the same route as Cutthroat Island with Geena Davis.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    My biggest fear, would be it goes the same route as Cutthroat Island with Geena Davis.
    That is the risk of someone writing a “girl power” heroine, but failing to go beyond that.

Elizabeth Swan was a girl power character, but was, beyond that, a character.

Characterization will be huge with whatever the next pirate movie is. Create an intriguing and engaging main character, and it won’t matter whether that character is a girl, not Jack Sparrow, a returning Jack Sparrow, or even something utterly crazy... like a Frenchman!

If Karen Gillian were a new lead, I’d say she’s got the chops to be a mischievous ne’er do well type of pirate, which might mean a good straight-man/woman companion would help her in the same way that, honestly Johnny Depp benefitted from Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

They better remember the corsets. Bodice all the way!

@godisawesome: how about Zoe Saldana returning as Anamarie for straight man?

For ironic Guardians of the Galaxy casting.

Though that didn’t help Men In Black International.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 05-17-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

Not to get off topic, but there is a great video about MIB International and why it did bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBi2WyPVaMI&t=820s
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I'd love that myself.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Saldana is excellent, and I’d love to see her again. The only issue I think she had was that she got reeeeeaaaalllly sea-sick when she made CotBP.

I was personally thinking something more like a Norrington-style character; Davenport’s intensity and bearing honestly should have been utilized a lot more, and a uptight Navy man/woman being forced to interact with pirates is always good for a laugh.

Though maybe this should be clarified: the “straight man - comic” relationship probably needs to be a bit of a two-way street. Part of the magic of Curse of the Black Pearl was that both Jack *and* Will could play the fool at different times, before sliding into more serious moments, as could Elizabeth; the way all three character maintained some of that aspect in DMC and AWE helped immensely as well (And even Norrington got in on it).

If Gillan got the lead role, I wouldn’t want her to be a female Jack Sparrow from OST and DMTNT; Jack was honestly too much of a fool there, and his straight men in both films we’re more bland than not - Barbossa wound up being the bets last of those films because Geoffrey Rush got a better balance of levity and sobriety (the peg leg rum tankard and his play-acting the privateer are perfect comedic touches to an otherwise dead-serious character).

There’s a bit of a tricky part to trying to figure out how to do a female main pirate character; Anamaria and Elizabeth were both assertive, no-nonsense Action Girls and able sailors, but both experienced period-appropriate reactions from the pirates around them, and benefitted from slick writing that could side-step the sexism they’d face in real life.

Considering Anne Bonny and Mary Reade reportedly spent a good chunk of their swashbuckling careers pretending to be men (though less so towards the end), do you think they might go ahead and continue that tradition from Elizabeth for a scene or two? I mean, to be frank, Karen Gillan would be hard to make look like a man, but it’s not like Knightley’s boyish disguise was all that convincing either. Or maybe she has an ex-Navy ally still trying to look like a cabin boy long after that time has past.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Looks like margot robbie may join the cast.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Looks like margot robbie may join the cast.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter
    So Margot got it, not Gillan.

Both. They are planning two movies! One is a reboot and the other is a spin-off in the first movies world.

That won't confuse people.