Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default TV Shows with a Character Often Talked About But Never Seen

On another thread, it asked to list your top 10 all-time favorite tv shows.

I noticed on my list that about half of them had a character that was often talked about or talked to on the phone but was never actually seen on the show.

The Andy Griffith Show actually had TWO that I remember. There was Sarah, the Mayberry phone operator that people constantly talked to but we never saw her. Also, there was Juanita, a waitress from the diner that Barney flirted with on the phone in several episodes.

What are some characters you remember that were never shown.

Columbo's Wife ignore the spinoff Columbo did and it was retconned as not his wife anyway.

Charlie from Charlie's Angels.

The Neighbor on Friends.

George Jefferson on All in the Family until they decided to do the Spinoff.

Robin Masters on Magnum PI.

Peggy's Mom Married with Children.

The Mother on Big Bang Theory.

Mrs. Columbo on COLUMBO. Howard’s mom on THE BIG BANG THEORY, though you sure could -hear- her.
    Arnold’s bully, The Gooch, on DIFFERENT STROKES.
    Carlton the doorman on RHODA (he had a cartoon pilot I think though that was never picked up for series).
    Maris on FRASIER, of course.
    Robin Masters on MAGNUM PI.

Stanley Walker on Will & Grace.
    Norm’s wife, Vera, on Cheers.

I don’t think George Jefferson counts—we did eventually see him several times on AITF before the spin-off. He wasn’t there from the start because Sherman Hensley wasn’t available and Hemsley is the actor Norman Lear wanted. At least that’s the story I heard.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Norm’s wife, Vera, on Cheers.
    This one is kind of iffy. We did see Vera's full body on the Thanksgiving episode in season 5. However, Diane accidentally hits her in the face with a pie so we don't see her face.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    This one is kind of iffy. We did see Vera's full body on the Thanksgiving episode in season 5. However, Diane accidentally hits her in the face with a pie so we don't see her face.
    It’s the face that makes all the difference! ;-)

Wilson, the next door neighbor on "Home Improvement". You saw him but it was always rigged so you never saw his face.

I think someone already mentioned Carlton the doorman on the Mary Tyler Moore show.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Charles Winchester's sister Honoria on M*A*S*H.

Retired

On CORONATION STREET, Fat Brenda worked the switch at the Street Cars taxi firm for many many years, but was never seen. However, last year she left to work at a rival Uber-style firm.

Every teacher in a Peanuts cartoon. And adults in general.

Heard but not seen, except for her legs, is Mary Tyler Moore as Sam in RICHARD DIAMOND, PRIVATE DETECTIVE (starring David Jansen)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Charles Winchester's sister Honoria on M*A*S*H.
    Honoria does send her brother a recorded letter that the audience hears at the end of the episode with the stuttering soldier.

Most family members on M*A*S*H are only mentioned - Hawkeye's dad, Hunnicutt's wife and kid, Potter's wife, we don't even hear most of them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Unless you count his multiversal doppelganger during Crisis, Bruce Wayne in Batwoman.

If you count only the first few seasons and not the movies, basically the major MCU heroes in Agents of SHIELD.

"You *just* missed Captain Rogers" "Tony Stark designed this base" "Do you know Thor?" etc etc

Basically, if you've never watched the movies, the trope would apply.

A straighter example that no one should ever remember is the 90s Avengers cartoon. Because the rights were all tied up for the Big Three, they only cameoed in a painting or Cap would drop by for a one-off. But there were also plenty of big gun Avengers between the Big Three and the cartoon crew that didn't show up but were only referenced, as well.
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-07-2020 at 10:12 PM.

I'm pretty sure we never saw Dr Claw from "Inspector Gadget" other than his clawed hand.

On "Veep" they never showed the President that she served under

From "Bob's Burgers", Linda's often-mentioned BFF Ginger has never been shown (other than maybe her back in a flashback I think)

I don't think we ever saw Mork's (Mork & Mindy) boss Orson, whom he reported to every episode.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-07-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Columbo's Wife ignore the spinoff Columbo did and it was retconned as not his wife anyway.
    Wasn't the prevailing theory that he never actually had a wife? He just made her up to seem more disarming when he'd speak to suspects.

Joanie Cunningham on Happy Days had a friend named Jenny Picolo, who we never saw until they cast Cathy Silvers in the role in the final season.

We never saw Nina Van Horn's friend Binny on Just Shoot Me.

The Breen were often mentioned on Star Trek: The Next Generation, but we only saw them once or twice and they never took off their helmets, so we never saw their faces.
    Watching television is not an activity.