Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Id love to see Aero's power evolve. Specially now that she had her big moment. We need to see more of her other than just flight. Maybe being able to make other objects fly too.

I am less interested in their powers evolving than learning how to use them in clever ways. Clever characters are more interesting than powerful characters.

Cyclops for example has learned to make ricochets, to destabilize enemies by aiming at their feet, to feint as in Infinity Gauntlet to Thanos ... But his power is the same. It's just that he uses it in an interesting way when he is well writen.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatore Frost View Post
    Id love to see Aero's power evolve. Specially now that she had her big moment. We need to see more of her other than just flight. Maybe being able to make other objects fly too.
    Yeah aura manipulation could be interesting with a good writer.. Some like Mike Carey would do wonders.. Maybe she can manipulate her aura based on color to give herself different abilities with the first one being flight.
    Orange Aura: Flight
    Blue Aura:
    Green Aura: Ability to heal self and others
    Red Aura:Super strength
    Yellow Aura:
    Purple Aura :

I'd have her extend her aura around other objects so that they fly when she's in physical contact with them. Basically it'd be tactile telekinesis, like 90s Superboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I'd have her extend her aura around other objects so that they fly when she's in physical contact with them. Basically it'd be tactile telekinesis, like 90s Superboy.
    I also wanted to see Aero get some more powers. Maybe make her like Cannonbal so while she's flying she's invulnerable or yes give her an aura to lift objects. Faith/Zephyr from Valiant Comics has a mix of this (protective aura and also her aura lets her grab other stuff and make it fly, but it's not full blown telekinesis, more like floating stuff and enemies).

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I was hoping for that before she started dating Mercury. Now it just feels too on-the-nose :/.

Was thinking maybe she could store energy in her crystals and release them like bombs. Give her both physical and energy projectile powers and is a nod to her days as a Gambit pupil.
    You are right. I also like Beetle's idea that her shards could grow when she releases them. So she can encase enemies and such.

Other stuff I was thinking of:

• Surge: make her develop her speed powers and put her on Quicksilver level when she's fully charged. It'd give her possibilities for more appearances with the speedster role on teams while also keeping a limitation to her powers (the more she's charged with electricity, the faster she goes, so with time she slows down) so she's not too OP;
    • Hindsight: he was able to give a painful feedback to Emplate with his memories, it'd be interesting if he could use this power offensively (like make others relive painful memories and such with a touch), plus they could be make him able to absorb not only the memories of an object, but also the skills of a frequent user (so let's say he picks up Kate Pryde's Katana, then he gets her skill as long as he keeps contact with the weapon). This way he could gain some offensive options;
    • Moonstar: not a development, more of a "redefining" that I'd do. I'd give her more empathic powers and make her use empathic weapons (so if she fills a weapon with pain, you feel pain, if she fills it with anger, you get angry when you get hit and such) and she can make you see "illusions" by tapping into your emotions and your past memories (so if she taps into your fear, she evokes what you fear the most and you see it, if she taps into anger you see stuff that makes you go mad etc.) so she can keep the illusion part of her powers, while making her more empathic.
    • Shark-Girl: let her assume different stages of a shark form, from human to were-shark to full, giant-sized shark, and also give her the ability to pick up different traits from sharks so that she can do some of the stuff that sharks can do naturally (like bio-electricity related stuff);
    • Ruby Summers: if we every see her back, it'd be cool if she could shot Darkforce beams (like her dad could access his own extra-dimensional dimension through his eyes, she can access the Darkforce dimension);
    • Tag: he's got a dumb power, but with some tweaks it could be powerful. Like let him put different tags on people. Like if he touches one of his enemies and says "Enemy!" then everyone, including the enemy's allies, start to see him as their enemy and attack him. Or if he touches someone and says "friend" then his enemies just stop attacking him or run past him. Like a sort of psychic signal that he can attach to people to influence a person or the people surrounding that person, and he's able to tune it diffrently for different results. He could be the ultimate crowd control guy (but he can't tag himself to make enemies run from himself).
    • Wallflower: keep her powers the same, but give her more fine control over the pheromones like Stacy X (she could control a person bodily functions and not just their emotions);
    • Stacy X: add more snake stuff, like poison and more enhanced abilities (such as super dense muscular strenght so she can constrict people). She'd still be a close-range fighter, but she'd gain more aggressive powers.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

A lot of this has to do with we don't really get long-running series based around young mutant squads lol

Back when we did, yeah they were allowed to learn, grow, train their abilities.

I mean you can easily say Cyclops has learned to use his mutation better over the course of years so have pretty much all the mainstream characters I think

One problem is the Giant-Size crew were sort of introduced as already familiar with their mutant abilities somewhat and already more or less grown adults so that's not quite beginning at the start, but with the O5 we saw them struggling as novices much more originally

I seem to remember Mystique was allowed to make her body transfigurations into essentially "strange" shapes that functioned as weaponized objects during Astonishing XMen volume 3. Don't think that lasted but that would be an example of a long-running character "learning a new aspect" without it being called a formal secondary mutation.

The best way for this to happen is just have characters who seem weak in books. Maybe the upcoming XFactor can offer this, actually with EyeBoy the prior Generation X by Christina Strain totally had him grow and show off his abilities. Not even sure it was all new either, just it was the first time we readers really examined what EyeBoy can do. So part of it is just these characters aren't even focused on enough to begin with.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Yeah aura manipulation could be interesting with a good writer.. Some like Mike Carey would do wonders.. Maybe she can manipulate her aura based on color to give herself different abilities with the first one being flight.
    Orange Aura: Flight
    Blue Aura:
    Green Aura: Ability to heal self and others
    Red Aura:Super strength
    Yellow Aura:
    Purple Aura :
    So, like.... rip off Halo from Young Justice?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I was hoping for that before she started dating Mercury. Now it just feels too on-the-nose :/.

Was thinking maybe she could store energy in her crystals and release them like bombs. Give her both physical and energy projectile powers and is a nod to her days as a Gambit pupil.
    Out of curiosity, is there a scientific basis for such an ability?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I also wanted to see Aero get some more powers. Maybe make her like Cannonbal so while she's flying she's invulnerable or yes give her an aura to lift objects. Faith/Zephyr from Valiant Comics has a mix of this (protective aura and also her aura lets her grab other stuff and make it fly, but it's not full blown telekinesis, more like floating stuff and enemies).
    I like the notion that Aero's 'flight aura' created a zone of psionically charged air particles around her that responded to thought, primarily, her own, but, with training, others, too, so she could touch someone, and, for a short time thereafter, a bubble of 'psychoactive' air would surround you and lift you from the ground and move you around, responding to her mental command, or, if she allows it, *to yours.* She'd basically give people really short term flight powers. She could keep control, as her mental commands totally override any but the most willful recipients, or let them take the reins, depending on the situation. (She'd keep control to 'fly' an unconscious person down from a high place, for instance, but might let a friend have control as he flies with her, and keep him close enough to recharge the air, and allow him to keep flying as long as he stays close enough to her, or swings by to 'refuel' periodically. I'd be okay with the duration being like Rogue's, 1 second of touch equals 60 seconds of flight before the charged air runs out, with a maximum practical limit of her holding someone's hand for a minute and giving them the power to fly for an hour.)

The development of this power would come with other effects from the air, like being able to maintain the bubble even under attempted infiltration from poison gas, or underwater! And then, she'd experiment with Crosta perhaps, and learn that she can psionically charge *water* as well, and allow herself to swim at incredible speed, like a human torpedo, and even to *breathe* the charged water (and keep it agitated and warm in the chilly deep, and the water pressure around her comfortable for surface dwellers!), opening up a whole new aspect to her powers, and a whole new world to explore. And once she expands this development to others, she can bring her friends with her, again, by surrounding them with these sheaths of psionically-charged water, allowing them to adventure under the sea with her in their own life-support/mobility bubbles.

All just building off of the words 'flight aura' and extrapolating from the psionic-based powers common among mutantkind. Nothing crazy like Gabriel Summers mutant power to do pretty much anything, but still more flexible than 'has a big chicken beak.'

There's a lot I like about that sort of stuff. I particularly like your ideas about Hindsight, since combat uses of pre or post-cognition are super-fun.

'Hey, here's Hawkeye's old bow, and now I vividly remember every move he's ever made with it, and I'm like Taskmaster, if he was *awesome.*'

'I held my sister's hand through the thirty hour birth of my nephew, and psychically shared some of the trauma of that. Here it is, all for you, all thirty hours of labor compressed into thirty seconds, just for you Mr. Manly Villain. Now who's 'screaming like a girl, huh?''

'This is my Cassandra Coil, the focused totality of my precognitive.... Oh, you've heard that one? Now enjoy writhing in pain and shock from experiencing the seven most likely ways you could die in the next few minutes...'

Another would be Cypher. Imagine if his mastery of language, and particularly body language, extended to being able to *lie* with body language? He'd pick up a sword, and experienced swordsmen would find him insanely frustrating, because every time they'd move to block, he'd be doing something completely different than what his stance was telegraphing, and his every attack would seem to be totally different from what he seemed to be doing, making it nearly impossible to defend against him. They'd eventually twig to what he was doing, and realize the best way to fight him would be *to shut their eyes* since everything they think they see him doing is a lie... And then he'd laugh and throw the sword down. 'Yeah, I don't even know how to use this thing...'

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Surge: make her develop her speed powers and put her on Quicksilver level when she's fully charged. It'd give her possibilities for more appearances with the speedster role on teams while also keeping a limitation to her powers (the more she's charged with electricity, the faster she goes, so with time she slows down) so she's not too OP;
    Her main limitation is that she needs the gauntlets to control her powers. If she ever learned to actually properly control them she could do a lot more stuff.
    Is she a Cheyrafim? If so maybe she could just gain the power to radiate light that heals people or something?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    So, like.... rip off Halo from Young Justice?
    a variation, there was a hero called spectral from the malibu universe that also had these powers

https://***********/@devinagonistes/...l-1a29ee98f446

BANNED

tbh wallflower needs to expand towards poisons and become a monster girl, scales, maybe wings, cause the blonde girl gig is more than taken

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    tbh wallflower needs to expand towards poisons and become a monster girl, scales, maybe wings, cause the blonde girl gig is more than taken
    Agreed, but wouldn’t being a blonde girl make her all the more invisible?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    We've got Stacy X for the monster, scaly, toxic girl with pheromone powers. But Wallflower could maybe become Poison Ivy-ish? Let her pheromones/chemicals be Plant based maybe.