Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Claudette and Nicole St. Croix

They bother me to no end. But I am going to try to salvage the characters. Nicole is a high level psionic (telepathy and telekinesis). Claudette’s ability is a souped up version of Mountjoy’s. She can merge/possess other bodies. She can merge two other people together. Both are abnormally intelligent. They used those abilities to imitate their older sister. And they also used it to rescue the Yugoslavian mutant Penance (who was comatose) from their brother, while Nicole repaired her mind.
    What I would do is Nicole is a telepath and telekinetic (so more like Monet) and Claudette is a teleporter and space manipulator (so more like Emplate). So the twins got both amped up versions of their older sibling abilities. And I'd keep the merging common to all siblings, since we have also seen Monet merging with Emplate recently. In their gestalt forms they should be able to combines their powers and become even more powerful.

The Penance form is a whole mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Page Guthrie
    sad .jpg 10 char

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    sad .jpg 10 char

What I would do is Nicole is a telepath and telekinetic (so more like Monet) and Claudette is a teleporter and space manipulator (so more like Emplate). So the twins got both amped up versions of their older sibling abilities. And I'd keep the merging common to all siblings, since we have also seen Monet merging with Emplate recently. In their gestalt forms they should be able to combines their powers and become even more powerful.

The Penance form is a whole mess.
    I'd just leave her as some random lady Marius kidnapped to nom on.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I'd just leave her as some random lady Marius kidnapped to nom on.
    Yeah I prefered that version too. But now Monet has the Penance form so who knows.

Ultimate Member

Yeah I prefered that version too. But now Monet has the Penance form so who knows.
    She's like golden age Superman, crapping out a new power every year or so. "I'll just use my super-ventriloquism!" I sometimes think she's a low-level reality manipulator, who only affects herself. "And now... I'm telekinetic! And always was. Shut up, or I'll cut you with my mind."

Damn. Didn’t know that Toad was such a stallion!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    She's like golden age Superman, crapping out a new power every year or so. "I'll just use my super-ventriloquism!" I sometimes think she's a low-level reality manipulator, who only affects herself. "And now... I'm telekinetic! And always was. Shut up, or I'll cut you with my mind."
    Well, one writer described Monet's mutant power as being "the perfect woman" so maybe it's what she subconsciously thinks of as perfect?

At any rate, going back to the Acolytes.... Scanner. In the comics she was usually seen as a lightweight in combat who was more useful in a support role. This was mainly because most of her power was to see stuff. Well she also has an ability to become incorporeal and travel through the Astral Plane and an ability to disrupt auras by touching people.

Maybe just having her learn kung-fu would make her a lot more powerful? she only rarely actually used her intangibility to attack, but when she did the result could be quite impressive.

I kind of like that not all mutants are formidable or on the frontlines.

Agree, not everyone can be Storm.

You can be better with your powers but if your mutation is just extra finges there is little hope for you.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

This is very true. Interesting is far, far more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    Agree, not everyone can be Storm.

You can be better with your powers but if your mutation is just extra finges there is little hope for you.
    Imagine having extra fingers and being a master "hacker" though. You'd also have a crazy strong grip. I could see this hypothetical mutant also becoming a legendary concert pianist and serving as good pr for utopia.

The thought crafting here is about how to make them more powerful without drastically changing them. It's a thing that's been done a lot in comics already. For example: Jubilee seemed weak and a bit useless at first, but then got retconned to be able to blow up buildings. That was a simple as changing the amount of energy she could throw into an attack.

the backstory for Mr. Sensitive doesn't seem like he'd be all that powerful. But he does the Daredevil thing where he's a super-martial artist that normal people can't match.

In Scanner's case it's ambiguous how her ability to sense the difference between humans and mutant works. Is it a form of aura reading? If so she might have the ability to see the auras of everyone near her. We know she can sense the presence of astral forms. Maybe her mutant sensing ability is simply a matter of being able to read auras? If so as a martial artist she'd be able to feel her opponent's location. Adding in the ability to reflexively phase like Kitty does and she suddenly becomes a lot more dangerous, and without actual changing the nature of her powers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The thought crafting here is about how to make them more powerful without drastically changing them. It's a thing that's been done a lot in comics already. For example: Jubilee seemed weak and a bit useless at first, but then got retconned to be able to blow up buildings. That was a simple as changing the amount of energy she could throw into an attack.

the backstory for Mr. Sensitive doesn't seem like he'd be all that powerful. But he does the Daredevil thing where he's a super-martial artist that normal people can't match.

In Scanner's case it's ambiguous how her ability to sense the difference between humans and mutant works. Is it a form of aura reading? If so she might have the ability to see the auras of everyone near her. We know she can sense the presence of astral forms. Maybe her mutant sensing ability is simply a matter of being able to read auras? If so as a martial artist she'd be able to feel her opponent's location. Adding in the ability to reflexively phase like Kitty does and she suddenly becomes a lot more dangerous, and without actual changing the nature of her powers.
    For Scanner, the simplest offensive application for her power would be that she could interfere with someone's nervous system by phasing through them. By flying through someone in her astral form, the energy from her astral form would 'block' the signals travelling through the person's body and leave them paralyzed. (Sort of like how Kitty somehow disrupts machinery by phasing through it.) She'd be a person-shaped 'psychic knife' of sorts. Being able to fly around at pretty much any speed she can think, and being totally insubstantial (and therefore immune to any form of attack other than some magics meant to bind 'ghosts,' or psychic attacks from telepaths and the like), she'd be pretty buff. If her astral self can actually *overpower* the signals of another person, she could even possess them, but that's, IMO, an unnecessary power-up. Just being able to 'interrupt' other people would be fine.

A huge change to an astral projector's power would be to upgrade from being able to separate their astral self, to being able to make their physical body enter the astral plane (or convert their flesh and blood to psychic energy, and literally become their astral self) which would make them, effectively, a teleporter, able to convert, zip across the world in astral form, and then pop back out into the solid world again, and save them the huge hassle for an astral character (and the drama that ensues) of having to leave their helpless physical body somewhere (hopefully, back at the home base / X-mansion / wherever, which still might be problematic if the home base comes under fire while you're astral self is out in the field and blissfully unaware that your life is in danger back home...).

Imagine having extra fingers and being a master "hacker" though. You'd also have a crazy strong grip. I could see this hypothetical mutant also becoming a legendary concert pianist and serving as good pr for utopia.
    Yes but he is not going to nuke enemies, only record list besides, having an extra finger doesnt automatically makes him a great musician or programmer. He would still need knowledge or have an interest in them.

What im trying to say is that this mutation is not a game breaker and doesnt need to be one.

In the "Support" scene Prodigy and Cypher are better in the "High Learning" field.
    Last edited by Lapsus; 06-14-2020 at 08:31 AM.