Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Carol Danvers background character?

So, I was wondering something. I watched a youtube video Comics Explained about Carol Danvers. He makes the claim that up until recent history Carol was a background character? You mean her Ms. Marvel days, Warbird, she was a minor character up until the 2010s?

She was always a background character, she had her solo series in her cool days as Miss Marvel during 2006/2008 as well i think but after Avengers vs X-men Marvel Made her the new Captain Marvel and pushed her as their "Wonder Woman".

I'm not saying this is bad, i don't have any problems at Marvel pushing other characters if they saw potential in her there's nothing the haters can do.

For the longest time, she was "the woman whose powers Rogue stole" and not much else.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Not really. She was only a background character when she was first created as part of Mar-Vell's supporting cast. But then a couple years later they made her a hero on her own and launched her Ms. Marvel book. After it was cancelled, she joined the Avengers, then when she left she became Binary, etc, etc. But I don't think that makes her a "background character". Then she got another solo in 2006 that lasted for 50 issues.

Yes, she has definetely gotten a bigger push recently as Captain Marvel, but calling her a background character isn't accurate, unless you would call most characters that aren't Spidey/IM/Cap/Thor background characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Not really. She was only a background character when she was first created as part of Mar-Vell's supporting cast. But then a couple years later they made her a hero on her own and launched her Ms. Marvel book. After it was cancelled, she joined the Avengers, then when she left she became Binary, etc, etc. But I don't think that makes her a "background character". Then she got another solo in 2006 that lasted for 50 issues.

Yes, she has definetely gotten a bigger push recently as Captain Marvel, but calling her a background character isn't accurate, unless you would call most characters that aren't Spidey/IM/Cap/Thor background characters.
    She became a background character in the late 70s to early 80s (I want to say 1980/81). Then there was not much else until the 06 series. So just over 20 odd years. Her major push didn't happen until 2011 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post

It was almost a full decade later, not just a couple of years. Mar-Vell's book launched in 1968, Carol's in 1977. When she left the Avengers, she moved over to the X-Men book, and that's where the Binary stuff happened. It's only then she faded into the background. Then she rejoined the Avengers in 1998, where she remained right up to Secret Wars, by which time, of course, she'd got her own book again and later become Captain Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

When her back wasn't running she was background until Busiek.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, I was wondering something. I watched a youtube video Comics Explained about Carol Danvers. He makes the claim that up until recent history Carol was a background character? You mean her Ms. Marvel days, Warbird, she was a minor character up until the 2010s?
    LShe had her on her comic series in 70s to be Marvel's Wonder Woman because of success of Wonder Woman Tv show. Of course Marvel forgot about her soon after turning her into Guest roles till 2006 when she was relaunched probably with an eye on upcoming MCU movies
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 05-08-2020 at 07:30 AM.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    She became a background character in the late 70s to early 80s (I want to say 1980/81). Then there was not much else until the 06 series. So just over 20 odd years. Her major push didn't happen until 2011 onwards.
    The major push happened in 2006. Relaunching her is considered a big push.

BANNED

Warbird arc was great, and she was prominent in Kang Dynasty.

She led the mighty avengers in 2007, i won't call her background.

I would say as Binary, pretty much, in the 80s/90s but Busiek kind of brought her more to the forefront in the 00's.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It's a bit of a stretch, but I suppose at points one could call her a background character. She certainly started as a supporting character in Captain Marvel, and has had several periods of publishing inactivity. But she's also been the lead of several solo titles, has had several stints as a major Avengers character, and often times played significant roles in other titles/stories. She's undoubtedly been given a significant push by Marvel since 2005, not ever really losing relevancy since. She certainly hasn't been anything less than a major player in the last 15 years.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member

She wasn't a background character, she had her own comic series as Ms. Marvel that lasted a few years and as Warbird she was a regular supporting cast in Avengers and guest starred in various titles like Iron Man. In the 2000's Marvel spent years slowly building her up.

kurt busiek's revival of her as Warbird started her relaunch, circa 1998. Heroes Return. Claremont cultists may have kept up with her in the "binary" era but she was not seen in any context for many years.

BANNED

I saw that Comics Explained video too and struggled with the urge to reply to that claim. You could say she was a background character when she was originally created, cause she was a supporting character to Mar-Vell but when she became Ms Marvel..?

By the same logic almost every female character in the industry is a background character, outside maybe Wonder Woman cause she consistently has her own title and been at the forefront of every event. Every other female character either only appears consistently on a team book and hasn’t really had many solo outings or issue numbers that Carol has gotten