Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Carol’s first appearance was in Marvel Super-Heroes #13 (1968). She was not Ms. Marvel until 1977, almost a decade later.

BANNED

she was in limbo after Captain Marvel 18 where he saved her

In a weird way there were also two Carols-the "real" one of course but also the duplicate personality in Rogue's head that sometimes took over, until it was given physical form for a bit and then got killed off by Magneto (Rogue kept the powers though).

I think Wolverine also had a hallucination of Carol in some issues during the storyline that hinted he was losing his edge or something like that (Which I think got dropped?)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I saw that Comics Explained video too and struggled with the urge to reply to that claim. You could say she was a background character when she was originally created, cause she was a supporting character to Mar-Vell but when she became Ms Marvel..?

By the same logic almost every female character in the industry is a background character, outside maybe Wonder Woman cause she consistently has her own title and been at the forefront of every event. Every other female character either only appears consistently on a team book and hasn’t really had many solo outings or issue numbers that Carol has gotten
    The longest uninterrupted run by a Marvel superheroine is Spider-Girl Mayday Parker with 100 issues. And she was an AU character! Marvel is very much playing catch-up there, you're right.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

As others have already said there was a pretty prolonged period where she was absent in the 80s or so, but after Busiek brought her back in his Avengers, run, she was around pretty consistently as part of the team (though I think she might've disappeared during Austen's run following Geoff Johns).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    In a weird way there were also two Carols-the "real" one of course but also the duplicate personality in Rogue's head that sometimes took over, until it was given physical form for a bit and then got killed off by Magneto (Rogue kept the powers though).

I think Wolverine also had a hallucination of Carol in some issues during the storyline that hinted he was losing his edge or something like that (Which I think got dropped?)
    It was during Acts of Vengeance, or around that time, yeah.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The longest uninterrupted run by a Marvel superheroine is Spider-Girl Mayday Parker with 100 issues. And she was an AU character! Marvel is very much playing catch-up there, you're right.
    I didn’t mean ongoing I meant amount of issues as the titular character. That’s impressive for Mayday Parker though I never even heard of the character to be honest though but I’m surprised Marvel has a female character that could make that claim

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I didn’t mean ongoing I meant amount of issues as the titular character. That’s impressive for Mayday Parker though I never even heard of the character to be honest though but I’m surprised Marvel has a female character that could make that claim
    I don't see another female character ever reaching a number that high at Marvel. Too in love with relaunches. But that's another story.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

BANNED

You got a point there, seems like a rare attempt now a days. I assume larger issue numbers are seen as overwhelming to newer readers in trying to play catch-up or find a jumping on point for any character. I’m sure Carol especially at this point if not before her movie has had over 100 appearances in her own title

Classic Ms Marvel fun have about 20-30 issues
    Brian Reed run have about 50
    KSD running around 30 issues with the character

Stohl during the renumbering in 2017 has her at issue 130 so I’d assume that’s how many issues she had leading upto on her own

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It was almost a full decade later, not just a couple of years. Mar-Vell's book launched in 1968, Carol's in 1977. When she left the Avengers, she moved over to the X-Men book, and that's where the Binary stuff happened. It's only then she faded into the background. Then she rejoined the Avengers in 1998, where she remained right up to Secret Wars, by which time, of course, she'd got her own book again and later become Captain Marvel.
    Yeah you're right, I was thinking more that after she stopped being used as Mar-Vell's supporting cast they soon made her a hero instead of leaving her in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    The major push happened in 2006. Relaunching her is considered a big push.
    That's like saying Karnak's 2015 series was a "big push" for the character. Danvers didn't become overly prevalent until 2011, just as the poster you quoted suggested. Before then, she had little impact in the greater Marvel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    That's like saying Karnak's 2015 series was a "big push" for the character. Danvers didn't become overly prevalent until 2011, just as the poster you quoted suggested. Before then, she had little impact in the greater Marvel universe.
    She was also a main Avenger at that time and had significant roles in a bunch of events. It could definetely be considered a push.

Like most characters, she went through periods of use and disuse, but yeah, for most of that she was more of a background character until her more recent push. Yeah she had a solo before the 2000s, but I don't think that necessarily makes her not a background character. Like I said, things go in cycles and just because she was more foreground for a while there doesn't mean she wasn't generally used in a background role more often when looking at the bigger picture. Also, a solo doesn't automatically mean they are not a background character in the larger context of the MU. Moon Knight has had lots of solos, some of them quite highly regarded by fans, but he still generally fills a more background role in universe, like when he shows up in an event where lots of characters are gathered.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Like most characters, she went through periods of use and disuse, but yeah, for most of that she was more of a background character until her more recent push. Yeah she had a solo before the 2000s, but I don't think that necessarily makes her not a background character. Like I said, things go in cycles and just because she was more foreground for a while there doesn't mean she wasn't generally used in a background role more often when looking at the bigger picture. Also, a solo doesn't automatically mean they are not a background character in the larger context of the MU. Moon Knight has had lots of solos, some of them quite highly regarded by fans, but he still generally fills a more background role in universe, like when he shows up in an event where lots of characters are gathered.
    Personally, I'm not counting "background character" to be in-universe. Every is a background character to everyone else there since there's always a bigger fish and they don't know they're comic book characters. All they know are their own experiences, and that doesn't distinguish Lyja the Laserfist from Captain America from their post of view but from ours only one of them is a heavy hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

Until Kurt Busiek began Carol’s resurgence as Warbird, kicking off her evolution to Captain Marvel under Bendis and other writers, Danvers was most notable as Rogue’s “other personality” and source of her flying brick piers that took over in times of extreme duress and the Ghost Memory that appeared to Logan when he was running on empty during Acts of Vengeance aka “Ace”.
    Binary Danvers was just a shell of the former woman.